• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

Just nipped down to the Flashes to un-load some cobbles. Very hot and sunny.
Passage of swallows 50+ literally dropped in for a drink on the sailing pool and were gone within 5 minutes, VIS MIG. At the Flashes several goldcrests and chiffchaff.
At the Moors 2 green sand.
The contractor is spraying the new zealand pygmy weed in the Braooadmeadow pool.
Just going back down to drop off more cobbles for this Sunday's work party.
B :)John

Just back from 2nd cobbles drop off. (if that makes sense)
The Flashes were a bit better than this morning with 53 Teal, 4 snipe, 23 Curlew and 20 Lapwing. Several meadow pipits and redpolls flew over.

The 1st flash is now dropping dangerously low and this weather won't help either.

Attachments

• 1.1st Fl drying.jpg
    1.1st Fl drying.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2. 1st Fl drying.jpg
    2. 1st Fl drying.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 65
WORK PARTY OCT 2ND at FLASHES

This Sunday will be the last chance we have of completing the new island at the Flashes. With the weather going from autumnal to high summer in just a couple of days, who knows what the next 5 weeks will bring ( the time of the next work party 6th Nov). If the rains come then it will be impossible to get out to complete it. So if you were ever thinking about coming along and helping , well this is the one. With a few of the lads off to the Shetlands this Friday, we will be hoping that all the regulars can make it. I have got all the equipment sorted, so its down to sheer numbers.
There are few other tasks that we can also get on with as well (light duties).
Try and come along, it will make a difference.
One thing I can guarantee is good weather, squash and biscuits both milk and plain chocolate oh yeh and BANTER, plenty of it.:t:
Start anytime after 9.30am for as long as you can spare.

Last edited:
John

I note that you don't need equipment, which is just as well as my bush-cutter/strimmer is in dire need of a service.
Here's a radical idea. As you know I wanted to get the rafts in for a winter sorting. But, given the lack of water they won't float anywhere near the bank and we'll get them grounded in the nether regions. If I don the waders I could carry out work on the larger (new) raft, and the others for that matter, in situ.
What do you say, maestro?

John

I note that you don't need equipment, which is just as well as my bush-cutter/strimmer is in dire need of a service.
Here's a radical idea. As you know I wanted to get the rafts in for a winter sorting. But, given the lack of water they won't float anywhere near the bank and we'll get them grounded in the nether regions. If I don the waders I could carry out work on the larger (new) raft, and the others for that matter, in situ.
What do you say, maestro?

No worries Sy, the only trouble is that although it looks relatively dry out there, the mud is pretty soft and without water to dissipate it I think you might get stuck. We'll give it a go :t:

Moors today: C. Snipe x 2. Kingfisher x 2. Pochard x 4. Mute Swans x7. Male Sparrowhawk.
Little Grebe x 1 several Shoveler. GC Grebe x 4. several Teal.

Rabbit with apparent Myxy.
Rob

Of note during brief drop on to Moors this morning,..1 group of 7 Swallows, 1 group of c23. A Yellowhammer over (Upton 1st ), 2 Snipe, 3 Kingfishers, 1 Greensand. Dave J had seen a few Housemartins over the Flashes earlier.

but its already bigger than both, and the white head and neck?

They seem to come in a variety of colours of plumage-White, beige, brown etc!

I watched one mating with one of the Canadas earlier this year though don't know if they laid but there was a large clutch of eggs on one island that were abandoned.

Maybe someone else can add to it!

One that I photographed.

Attachments

• Web Hybrid Goose.jpg
    Web Hybrid Goose.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 68
Thanks to John for organising the work party today. Hot, but enjoyable work. John will no doubt do a full update here, but in the meantime there are a few photos per the flickr link below.
Cheers

Thanks to John for organising the work party today. Hot, but enjoyable work. John will no doubt do a full update here, but in the meantime there are a few photos per the flickr link below.
Cheers

Just had a look at them. It's always interesting to see the work that goes on, often unoticed by most people, especially when a lot of it won't always be obvious when the waters are back & growth appears.

Great work all-thanks for posting Gert.

Rob

Great job over at the flashes gents. Sorry i couldn't make it.

A few shots of the Red Kite that flew over the moors yesterday. Sorry about the quality they were distant shots.

Simon P:t:

Attachments

• Red-Kite-IMG_2279.jpg
    Red-Kite-IMG_2279.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Red-Kite-IMG_2281.jpg
    Red-Kite-IMG_2281.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 88
  • Red-Kite-IMG_2287.jpg
    Red-Kite-IMG_2287.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Red-Kite-IMG_2291.jpg
    Red-Kite-IMG_2291.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 81
  • Red-Kite-IMG_2292.jpg
    Red-Kite-IMG_2292.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 69
A few more shots from yesterday, Rob reported the Mink to the Mink Man. And a couple of Water Rail shots from late this afternoon, despite the poor light.

Simon P:t:

Attachments

• Kingfisher-IMG_2307a.jpg
    Kingfisher-IMG_2307a.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Mink-IMG_2336a.jpg
    Mink-IMG_2336a.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Grey-Heron-IMG_2371.jpg
    Grey-Heron-IMG_2371.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Water-Rail-IMG_2392.jpg