• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling casting pellets (1 Viewer)

rozinante

Anarchism is order
I must confess that my awareness of the practice of casting pellets by birds other than the obvious raptors & owls etc is quite a recent one for me.

I had a graphic illustration of it today from a starling though. I thought that the first one was just a bit of food dropped as the bird sang. On watching for a while longer as the starling went through its mimicry routine it occasionally paused and cast more pellets. They appeared bright yellow/gold like the colour of ripe sweet corn but a little smaller than an average corn kernel.

Do starlings (and other small birds for that matter) regurly produce pellets or is it only a requirement when certain foods are being taken?

There doesn't seem to be much reference to it in any of my books.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back