• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A most unexpected tick...and a year tick earlier (1 Viewer)

HH75

Ireland
Hi all,
Hadn't planned on going birding today:did take a short walk with the dog this morning,where I saw my first Willow Warblers of the year(also 4 Chiffs,1 Stock Dove and a Fox)
THEN,got a call to say that a probable(later definite)Dartford Warbler had been found at Brow Head(only the 10th Irish record)!
Met a friend of mine at 5pm,and we got there about 7pm.
Although we never saw it in the open,we eventually saw most of the plumage details(a skulking individual):had seen sp.in UK anyway.The only part that I didn't see was the face.
All other Sylvias could be ruled out(most by that tail alone!!)
Brilliant!
Harry

Hi Andrew,
Yes,was sticking to patches of gorse,hence our inability to see the whole bird at any one time!We were very lucky:if we had been 1/2 hour later it would have gone to roost!
Pity we don't have the right habitat for them here.
Harry

Nice one Harry. Fantastic little birds, I love it when they pearch on top of gorse with thier tails up in the air. I haven't seen one in a few years now :eek:( (lack of time prevented me seeing one at Wobourn this year)

Ashley. I tried for the one at Woburn, with Common2412 (Steve) but it didn't show. It wasn't a very good area, certainly not one I would have picked to see Dartford's. The gorse was very low to the ground and split up by rows and rows of channels.

Hopefully I will get to see one at Dunwich Heath next Sunday.

My best view was on the gorse behind the hide in Dawlish Warren last winter. I think there's a report of it here. There are some at Aylesbeare but they are often fleeting glimpses so I share your frustrations Harry.

Hi Andrew,
Not that frustrated really:after all,I've seen Ireland's 10th Dartford Warbler and am 100% positive with regard to the ID!
Would have hoped for better views,but we could easily have gone down and not seen it at all...
Planning on going down again tomorrow and looking for it with time to spare(it was 7pm before we arrived yesterday):very windy today,and nobody has gone looking for it as a consequence.
Harry

If you get a sunny day harry it should be out singing especially first thing in the morning (i'm guessing its male).

I hade one yestrday on my patch in Hampshire singing from the top of a small birch, i was frantically trying to find it in the heather and gorse to get a picture, but just as i realised it was in the open it was gone. Grrrrr.....

Rich

Last edited:
Hi Rich,
I'm not sure what sex it is(only saw the back of the head,upperparts,upper/under tail,undertail coverts,vent and rear flanks),but it could well be a male(the finders noted an obvious red eye/orbital ring):it's an adult-type anyway.
Will let you know how we get on tomorrow:at least there will be less pressure on me than the others,they still need it....
Harry

Had some good views of at least 2 dartford at Aylesbeare on saturday 29/03 as well as a tree pipit, roll on the summer!! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back