• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skylarks (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Wonderful to see and hear so many Skylarks when out for a short birding visit today. Hard to believe they are such a threatened bird, but I know they are. Wonder if things are picking up for them a little. Anyone know? Last week we were told that the north east is once again doing much better than other areas of the country as far as bird numbers were concerned with several species increasing in number. A :clap: for the farmers. Whilst I don't want to be pessimistic I do wish the RSPB had made a little more effort last week to ensure tht folks were made more aware of the species that were still declining. Local papers were full of those that were on the increase. Good of course, but best not to let people become complacent.

Today I actually went on a bit of a twitch to Cresswell for the Lapland Bunting. Nowhere to be seen. Well not by me anyway. Did see a mixed fl;ock of Twite and Linnets again and had a fleeting glimpse of a Snow Bunting in the flock in flight. Apparently the Shore Lark was about too. Skylarks were the bird of the day though. Shame about the Lapland Bunting as it would have been a lifer. Not done a lot of birding this month and only added one to my list so far. Things may pick up after the 30th as I am off to Mull with my mate Scott, my very special doggy mate Maxy and other family members. Hope they have those White tailed Sea Eagles lined up! Think I may try for the local Chiffchaffs this weekend.

Cheers

Hi Brian,

There are plenty of skylarks down this way too and have been for at least the last 9 years since we've lived here. We do have prime skylark territory with large open arable fields in relatively quiet countryside. I hear them more often than I see them and as for getting a photo...I think that Bill's challenge is safe for a while from me anyway! ;)

Good luck for the chiffchaffs this weekend. Saw my first this year earlier this week, but not around since.

Hi Brian,

We have one area where we can guarantee to find them but apart from that.....

Have a look at www.bto.org/birdtrends

Go to the pull-down at top right and find SKYLARK. Very sad.

To think that when I were a lad you couldn't walk out into the countryside in Spring without hearing a Skylark, now I have to drive several miles; and I'm lucky at that.

Heard another Chiffchaff 2 days ago, that's 3 so far! (though 2 of them might have been the same one).

Bill.

Wendy, this is about what I can usually manage if I throw most of them away. B.

Attachments

• DS sklyark singing  .jpg
    DS sklyark singing .jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi Brian,
On the bird walk last weekend, I asked a women from the rspb where I might find Skylarks, she gave me what she thought was a good location at the bay estuary & told me a good place to park.
When I arrived I was horrified to see the bulldozers on sight & newly erected metal fencing preventing access to the public.
The billboards boasted an exciting new waterfront development.
(to go with the hundreds of other exciting waterfront developments I guess)

I could see G'Crested Grebes in the far distance, so I knew this was a good bird habitat.

I didn't stand a chance of seeing the Sky Larks & judging by what I saw re All the development, I'm not surprised to hear about their decline. Very sad.

I'm sorry about being glum folowing your great report Brian.
At least you had a great birding day, thank you for sharing it.
I hope you enjoy Mull

Seeing plenty of Skylarks up here too, down in Teesside there were hardly any left though! I love them, they're one of my favourite birds and I managed to get a photo of one the other week :D

Hi Brian

It's good to hear that Skylarks are still so plentiful in places. I used to hear them all the time here, they nested in nearby fields along with Yellowhammers, Gray Partridges and various finches and warblers. I used to think how lucky I was to see and hear such birds in suburban Leeds but since the builders came and cleared the land completely, all 73 acres of it along with the scrub and hedges, they've lost their habitat.

I'm also going to Mull - in late April all being well, and I'm getting quite excited about it. I've never been there before and think I and my companions will be in for a treat. I say all being well as my daughter is on a short waiting list for major surgery but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll have had it done by then and be back home. Otherwise there'll be a definite change of plans.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about it when you return.

Hi all

Thanks for the comments and thanks for the link Bill. I have taken a look. Very depressing. I guess that when you visit an area as I did last week and find Skylarks in number it is easy to forget that there are now vast areas without them. This is reflected Pie, by your need to ask someone where to find Skylarks. No problem in being Glum either Pie as that was really the jist of my post. I can understand the RSPB making a big issue out of the birds that are doing well, but I couldn't understand a complete lack of information about the ones that were not. I suppose that is the media for you. Never easy to pick up the full picture.

Hope you manage to get to Mull as planned Bea. I'm certainly eagerly looking forward to mine. I have neve been there before. I will have a good guide in Scott as he goes every year and may even be taking in the St Johnston V Gretna match in on return. ;-)

Best wishes

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back