• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron ES SD & HDF Zoom Len (1 Viewer)

grumps

Following on from the 'Old Opticron' thread I am thinking of upgrading my old HR 60 to the above. Can't afford the ED version so views and comments would be much appreciated. Guess the price will be in the £560 region.

Thanks,
Hugh

So it is. Yes still in nrgotiation with family for a very early birthday/Christmas present.
Have you tried it with the zoom?

So it is. Yes still in nrgotiation with family for a very early birthday/Christmas present.
Have you tried it with the zoom?

Hi,

I have this combo - HDF zoom + ED Scope. Works very well and is great value for money. However the brightness and resolution drop off at the higher magnifications in less then ideal light and heat haze can be problem. For that reason I bought the 32xWW lens a few months back and have only used that since - still have the zoom..... just in case!

Perry

The ED version (far superior IMO) is only £27 more. Are you sure you couldn't stretch?

Have rechecked the Opticron online catalogue.ES80SD is £369 while the ED is £549.
Obviously will try both before I eventually buy but has anyone compared and is the difference worth the extra cash?

Hugh

Well took the plunge and went to In focus at Rutland Water for my wife to buy me an early(very early!) birthday present. Got the ES 80 ED with the HDL zoom etc on offer. Weather was awful for viewing but was most impressed. However I had tried it out there a month ago in good conditions. A really nice upgrade and I am dead chuffed. Thanks to all who have posted on this and the other two relevant threads.

A noddy question now please. With my old outfit I merely carried the scope and tripod resting on my shoulder. Many I have seen carry with the strap of the stay on case and the tripod below. In focus site don't recommend this. How do folk carry theirs? Especially interested in how Dafi manages on the hills of the north while still rejoicing.

Cheers,
Hugh

A noddy question now please. With my old outfit I merely carried the scope and tripod resting on my shoulder. Many I have seen carry with the strap of the stay on case and the tripod below. In focus site don't recommend this. How do folk carry theirs? Especially interested in how Dafi manages on the hills of the north while still rejoicing.

Cheers,
Hugh[/QUOTE]

Hello Hugh

I have the same scope (v2) & hdf zoom ,always carry mine over my shoulder, tripod legs fully extended ,and if the weather allows with all the caps/flaps undone, speed is everything !

PH

uhh no, i use both methods - legs down, over my shoulder when wanting a quick set up but with shoulder strap and tripod attached when begining/ending my day - whats the danger there ?

As far as I know the danger is that you are putting too much strain on the tripod foot of the scope and/or the thread itself, and risking them breaking.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back