Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 05:49   #1
sbb

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B

https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/nature...green-p5418295

Just saw these, didn't know they updated the CL8x30's. Seem like a new focuser which has the inbuilt diopter wheel, improved FOV 372 vs 396/100ft and has the Fieldpro attachments, 10 grams lighter, 8mm longer and 1% less light transmission.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 06:04   #2
Riverstalker

Looks nice ! Hope they tweaked the optics a bit.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 08:16   #3
sbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverstalker View Post
Looks nice ! Hope they tweaked the optics a bit.
yeah will be interesting to see how the optics turn out as the transmission rate is lower then the older CL. So you haven't seen them sold in Germany? Or you were saying you live close to the factory Riverstalker?

I am just happy they didn't put out a new EL, as I only just got my 8x32ELs two weeks ago.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 08:24   #4
ticl2184

A 4th generation EL is on the way though ...Maybe 2019 or 20.......
It's already being worked on...
Can't wait...
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 09:23   #5
Vespobuteo

Nice upgrade, will definitely check these ones out again when getting a compact bin. Form factor is really nice on the Companions but ER and FOV/AFOV were not good enough in the previous model.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 10:32   #6
Dorian Gray

Price? Always the biggie.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 20:11   #7
proudpapa56
Where'd you go, stay put!

Release date U.S. - mid January

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 21:57   #8
dipped

Good find SBB

They look very modern, I think the styling is improved.

Looks like the central hinge is offset so they can fold up smaller ala the new compact Zeiss FL's.

Also the front eyepiece looks larger than the originals.
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 22:22   #9
cycleguy

Here is information from the web page of the link provided above:

"Order online
This product will be available at authorized dealers and in our online shop starting on November 6th, 2017."

CG
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 01:05   #10
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipped View Post
...Looks like the central hinge is offset so they can fold up smaller ala the new compact Zeiss FL's...
No, it's just a cosmetic aspect (as with Leica Noctivid) and doesn't appear to have any effect on folding ability. Minimum IPD spec is 55 mm. That's better than the industry de facto standard of 56 mm, but is not impressive (e.g. Zeiss 8x32 FL goes to 52 mm), as would be the case for a bin of this size that folded tight.

--AP
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 02:00   #11
sbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipped View Post
Good find SBB

They look very modern, I think the styling is improved.

Looks like the central hinge is offset so they can fold up smaller ala the new compact Zeiss FL's.

Also the front eyepiece looks larger than the originals.
yeah hopefully they will fold up better. Well spotted with the central offset hinge. The old/new cases look just as horrendously big as the current ones. Why can't they design a case to fit each particular model to make it compact for the user. Both my CL and EL bags are huge..... Where as my Zeiss, Vortex, Meopta are all perfect fitting. Actually stuff this, I will write to Sabine at Swarovski and let her know.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 02:43   #12
chill6x6

Looks pretty nice!

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 05:20   #13
Alexis Powell

They look cute for birding, but given that they save only ~2 oz weight over the Zeiss FL but do not have as wide a FOV, do not have as narrow minimum IPD, and do not focus close enough for butterflies (they have ~10 ft minimum vs. ~5 ft for the Zeiss), and who knows about CA control, they seem to lose on all the critical specs for my uses.

--AP
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 06:43   #14
Dorian Gray

Presumably they’re much cheaper than the 8x32 FL or at least much cheaper than what the 8x32 FL would cost if launched today. Which may not change your analysis but is something many people will consider.

Has anyone seen a pricing hint? I suspect a significant hike over the predecessor.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : Wednesday 4th October 2017 at 06:46.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 07:42   #15
In Focus

The UK part of the Swarovski site shows pricing "from £910" which is £50 more than the current models:

https://uk.swarovskioptik.com/nature/cl-c210105

or €1100 in Austria:

https://at.swarovskioptik.com/natur/cl-c210105?cs=1
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 08:15   #16
Riverstalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb View Post
yeah will be interesting to see how the optics turn out as the transmission rate is lower then the older CL. So you haven't seen them sold in Germany? Or you were saying you live close to the factory Riverstalker?

I am just happy they didn't put out a new EL, as I only just got my 8x32ELs two weeks ago.
I know nothing about a release date and did not see them in person. I just like the new look and the focus knob may be an upgrade, we'll see.
I live next to the European Office in Bavaria Germany, the main Swarovski factory is located near Innsbruck Austria. There is all the tweaking and secret researching.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 09:57   #17
Gijs van Ginkel

sbb, post 11,
It is funny that you complain about the size of the binocular bag. Not long ago, Swarovski supplied the best (my opinion) bags one could dream of, they fitted like an envelope around the binocular, but I heard that consumers did not like these bags since they were too sober or whatever term you can think of.
I still use them every day and they hardly take space in the backpack, so ideal for hiking and protection. Pity such a consumer influence to the worst (my opinion of course, not shared by everybody I am sure).
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 10:26   #18
Gilmore Girl
Beth

I like the old look better than this new one and the fact the old one is a little smaller.
But specs all around look bettter.
Case does appear too big again, but I do like the wool.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 12:52   #19
Troubador

[quote=In Focus;3625742]The UK part of the Swarovski site shows pricing "from £910" which is £50 more than the current models:

https://uk.swarovskioptik.com/nature/cl-c210105

Unless I was a Swaro enthusiast and was really attracted towards this elegant bino, at that sort of price I would definitely favour Meopta's MeoStar 8x32 or Kowa's Genesis 8x33, but I am basing this on my experience of the old model and maybe this one has upped its optical game.

Lee
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 20:54   #20
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
They look cute for birding, but given that they save only ~2 oz weight over the Zeiss FL but do not have as wide a FOV, do not have as narrow minimum IPD, and do not focus close enough for butterflies (they have ~10 ft minimum vs. ~5 ft for the Zeiss), and who knows about CA control, they seem to lose on all the critical specs for my uses.
I agree. I'd also add that unless they changed the optics in a major way these aren't really what I'd get for serious birding. The first version was, shall we say, "mediocre".

Hermann
Old Thursday 5th October 2017, 03:00   #21
sbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
sbb, post 11,
It is funny that you complain about the size of the binocular bag. Not long ago, Swarovski supplied the best (my opinion) bags one could dream of, they fitted like an envelope around the binocular, but I heard that consumers did not like these bags since they were too sober or whatever term you can think of.
I still use them every day and they hardly take space in the backpack, so ideal for hiking and protection. Pity such a consumer influence to the worst (my opinion of course, not shared by everybody I am sure).
Gijs van Ginkel
Hi GVG, which model was that for? Well I suspect it depends on which model you get, as one of my Swarovski bags has marked inside it SLC-42 and also EL-32. Defiantly way to big for EL32
Alex
Old Thursday 5th October 2017, 23:44   #22
proudpapa56
Where'd you go, stay put!

U.S. release date 1/23//18.

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 20:25   #23
jan van daalen

Well, had the chance to look trough the 8 and 10x this afternoon and I must say these are Swarovski worthy optics.
Swaro, congrets. Very well done.

By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts.

The dioptersetting is well hidden in the focusknob, like the SLC used to have, but now much more elegant.

Swaro has brought a masterpiece, but....... with this piece of device, do I still need a 25 or even a 32SV?

For me the answer is No. Where the former Companion IMHO was not a Swarovski worthy piece of optics, this little jewel is from another planet.

Jan
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 21:17   #24
Torview

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
Well, had the chance to look trough the 8 and 10x this afternoon and I must say these are Swarovski worthy optics.

By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts.

The dioptersetting is well hidden in the focusknob, like the SLC used to have, but now much more elegant.

Swaro has brought a masterpiece, but....... with this piece of device, do I still need a 25 or even a 32SV?

For me the answer is No. Where the former Companion IMHO was not a Swarovski worthy piece of optics, this little jewel is from another planet.

Jan
Thanks for that report Jan, sounds very interesting, especially if it could substitute for a 32mm SV.
Old Thursday 12th October 2017, 21:32   #25
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post

Jan
Darn it...why did you have to go and let us know how good it is. Now I want one :) Thanks for the report Jan.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: