Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 21st December 2013, 23:47   #51
FrankD

Wish I could suggest something like that John. The only other suggestion I could think of would be Cloudy nights. They have a dedicated eyepiece forum but it is with astronomy in mind.

One thing to note when reading these forums is to make sure and "filter" the reviews through the prism of knowledge that we are a bunch of OCD nutcases who hyperanalyze any minute differences in order to have stuff to talk about here.... Eitanaltman
Old Sunday 22nd December 2013, 08:42   #52
mayoayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by em132 View Post
Just curious, has anyone tried these scopes (M2 65 or 80) with the Explore Scientific 82 eyepieces? Is the entire FOV viewable? Can focus at infinity be achieved?

If it works it might prove to be a killer combo, esp. at the price these EP's go for.

Eye relief is very short in that series,averaging 14mm...That would not be very comfortable with eyeglasses..Plus dont expect sharp edge performance with a 82 eyepiece in an f/5.9 scope,so you might giving away the FOV gains and getting the short eye relief and few degrees of blurrrrr for your money ....
I am using the BST explorer ED and the Extra Flat series on the Regal with excellent results..The Extra flat is the choice of Vortex ,for their High End Razor scopeexcept that they sell it for 200 plus $ and the astro version sells for 60 $ on Ebay....

Last edited by mayoayo : Sunday 22nd December 2013 at 11:05.
Old Sunday 22nd December 2013, 23:42   #53
Josh Exmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoayo View Post
I am using the BST explorer ED and the Extra Flat series on the Regal with excellent results..The Extra flat is the choice of Vortex ,for their High End Razor scopeexcept that they sell it for 200 plus $ and the astro version sells for 60 $ on Ebay....
Is BST Explorer out of production? I see a few on eBay from the UK and that's about it.

Who makes the other EF eyepiece you mentioned? I see a few when I search for '"Extra Flat" eyepiece' and they're all located in the UK as well.

I'd love to find something available in the US in case I need to return it.

It's interesting that you mention the discrepancy in price from an eyepiece aimed at spotting scope owners versus one aimed at telescope owners. I assume that spotting scope owners, who rarely own more than a couple eyepieces, are seen as easier "marks" than an astronomy aficionado who may have many more.
Old Monday 23rd December 2013, 14:31   #54
rmel66

BST Explorer is the same as Astro_Tech Paradigm and is readily available from Astro_Tech. Also available in another guise from Agena Astro.

rmel66.
Old Tuesday 24th December 2013, 22:27   #55
mayoayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmel66 View Post
BST Explorer is the same as Astro_Tech Paradigm and is readily available from Astro_Tech. Also available in another guise from Agena Astro.

rmel66.

Yes....thats It...And the Extra Flat eyepieces are also sold by Astro-Tech ,available at the same site, and also in Astronomics..The Orion Edge-On Flat Field is another brand of the same model--
Here are a couple photos of the Flat Field 16mm astro and the Vortex branded version ,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	;.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	477381  Click image for larger version

Name:	20596-1.gif
Views:	58
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	477382  

Last edited by mayoayo : Wednesday 25th December 2013 at 10:18.
Old Friday 27th December 2013, 14:37   #56
Josh Exmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoayo View Post
Yes....thats It...And the Extra Flat eyepieces are also sold by Astro-Tech ,available at the same site, and also in Astronomics..The Orion Edge-On Flat Field is another brand of the same model--
Here are a couple photos of the Flat Field 16mm astro and the Vortex branded version ,,,
Thanks for the information.

Mayoayo, it sounds like you have the flat field 16mm and the Celestron zoom to compare and they're roughly similar in AFOV and my reading of the eye relief is that the celestron zoom is actually longer (15mm vs 20mm). What, if any, advantages did you see with the Flat Field? Sharpness? Brightness? Is the flat FOV helpful in birding? I'm really tempted by the price, but I just can't see what the advantages are.

I've been tempted to look into ordering fixed, high-power eyepiece. When scanning marine waters there are always those unknown dots that you know would be IDable with another little bit of zoom. I know its probably a foolish idea, but anyone have experience mounting something like a 5mm on this, or similar, scopes? Do you just get a dim, blurry image or something remotely usable?

Last edited by Josh Exmoor : Friday 27th December 2013 at 14:45.
Old Friday 27th December 2013, 17:02   #57
mayoayo

Flat Field 6mm Vs Regal Zoom

,,the Celestron Zoom is not as wide as the Flat field..The Flat Field features 60..A Zoom featuring a 60 AFOV in the mid of the range would be famous already!!!

In a fast comparison at close range,The Flat Fd 16mm shows 6 inches @ 12 feet aprox...the Zoom shows about 5 inches..You make the calculations now,.
. ..,But is not a narrow zoom either,this is evident to me without having really measured the FOV. I have compared the Celestron Zoom to the Helios/Saker zoom (a typical 8-24mm with a 40-60 AFOV)..and the Celestron is wider at all powers..This Celestron Regal zoom can be going from 43 to 66(like the Celestron DElux Zoom?)..

The Flat Field seems to have more than 15mm eye relief ..In anycase Eye relief is more than adequate for use with eyeglasses or DIGISCOPING..

So,,The advantages of this wide eyepiece are some degrees of AFOV, Size /weight (2-2/8 inch Vs 4-2/8 inch..see pic for comparison)and ,DIGISCOPING capabilities..
The Flat Field seems to be more forgiving with vignetting than the zoom..the Ff ,when using my old canon A590 ,gets free of vignetting with one point of zoom ,aperture 2.8... The zoom needs 4 points of zoom ,aperture 3.5 ,and by then It looks considerably dimmer in the camera screen ...

This said,and except for Sketching ,for what i feel more comfortable with a wider field/moderate power,I could live with the Regal Zoom as my only eyepiece..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7321.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	477631  

Last edited by mayoayo : Friday 27th December 2013 at 17:08.
Old Friday 27th December 2013, 17:42   #58
Josh Exmoor

Thanks Mayoayo, that's a very helpful explanation. I may have to pull the trigger on a used one for the cheap price they go for, but I should probably wait to make sure I'm going to keep the scope itself.

Last edited by Josh Exmoor : Friday 27th December 2013 at 17:45.
Old Friday 27th December 2013, 22:12   #59
Lord Muck
Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them.

On Christmas morning, my butler appeared and presented me with a beautifully wrapped box. On opening it, I discovered the words "Celestron Regal M2 80ED Spotting Scope" printed down the sides. I can't decide wheather to give him a damn good thrashing and give it him back or keep it Any comments or reviews on the above scope would be more than welcome.
The Rt Hon Lord Muck, O.B.E - M.B.E - K.F.C

Last edited by Lord Muck : Saturday 28th December 2013 at 03:33.
Old Wednesday 1st January 2014, 05:30   #60
Josh Exmoor

Well, I received my Regal M2 80 yesterday. Of course I got home after dark so today was my first time out with it. Coming from a lower end scope (Konus 7120) it definitely is an improvement in build quality. Optics Planet lists them as nearly the same weight, but the Celestron is definitely way heavier. That is kind of a downer, but it feels solid as a rock. The screw on eyepiece cover is really nice. It's solid metal as well and with it on the scope feels bulletproof. Stay-on cover only barely qualifies as such, but is preferable to nothing.

I'll need some more time to evaluate optics. The zoom in nice, if unexciting. Eye relief was kind of a let down. I had to push my glasses against the eyepiece quite a bit to see the whole image circle. As I expected, the main difference from my cheaper scope is that the whole image circle is much bigger. You see just as much area, but it's considerably bigger. Today was very overcast and dark, but I was disappointed in how much darker the image got zoomed in. Not sure if they can do anything about this, but I don't recall noticing as much in the cheaper scope. Unlike the Konus, which gets very dull above 45x the Celestron seems to actually give additional detail as you zoom to 60x. I was watching a Prairie Falcon at .6 miles for a long time this morning trying to clinch the ID and I found myself only backing off to about 55x to get the sharpest image.

I have the 16mm Flat Field eyepiece talked about above on its way so I'll be curious to see how I like the scope with it on. Got it for $30 used which is an incredible deal and makes me want to keep my eye out for more eyepieces.

I really wish I had a lineup of scopes to compare it to.

Last edited by Josh Exmoor : Wednesday 1st January 2014 at 05:40.
Old Wednesday 1st January 2014, 07:48   #61
mayoayo

Josh Exmoor..Thats a nice deal..30$ for that eyepiece is a no-brainer (again ,Vortex sales an adapted version of it for 200 $)...You will like it..
Image wise the Regal Zoom is very nice to my eye..Of course it gets dim a max power,and this is more noticeable in dark conditions,but the image remains nice and sharp..
If your scope is not getting a nice sharp image at 60X and you need to go back to 50x to get a pleasant view,You need to test the optics for aberrations,and If the scope doesnt perform reasonably well,..return it on the bases of miscollimation..Although ,and for what You are saying ,It seems that your scope is pretty good....
but please give it a try and Star-test the scope ,..It is a way to understand your scope performance to a basic level, and its fun
Old Friday 17th January 2014, 20:07   #62
Josh Exmoor

It's been a few weeks since I've gotten my Regal M2 80 as well as the 16mm flat field eyepiece described above. Unfortunately, sunset is at 4:30pm in Seattle this time of year and typically thick cloud cover make it difficult to do much scope viewing in the hour before that so I've only managed to make it out a couple times. Here's my early impressions.

Compared to the cheap scope I was coming from (Konus 20-60x80) the main difference was size of the image circle. I have no way to measure it, but even with the standard zoom it was obviously much larger going back and forth. Image was definitely sharper and didn't have the same gets-larger-but-with-no-additional-details effect above 45x that the Konus had. The Regal didn't really stark lacking additional details until above 50-55x.

First day I had it, I took it out to one of our local raptor hotspots in search of a Prairie Falcon that had been seen there on and off for a couple weeks. I scanned a large area before finding a good candidate about 3/4 of a mile away. The view wasn't great, but it was enough to see the wing extension and general shape and size of the bird.

A few days later I had the opportunity to compare it side-by-side with a Swarovski scope of similar specs in the field. We were looking at a Gyrfalcon about 3/4 of a mile away. At high zooms, the Swaro really blew the Regal out of the water, but considering the eyepiece costs more than what I spent for the whole scope I felt pretty good about what I could see. The Swaro didn't ever lose details as it zoomed, but we were in the best case scenario for light since it was a clear, cool day in the late afternoon and on a warmer day I think both would have been equal due the limitations of mirage.

I finally got a chance to take the scope to a few of my favorite marine locations. These types of places were my main goal for this scope and especially the 16mm eyepiece. This is Puget Sound so on a cool day with no wind you are only limited only by optics. With my old scope often struggled with alcids and loons and I often had to ID based on shape alone, which is difficult at times. The 30x/16mm really came through here. Nice wide image circle with lots of depth of field and a bright image. I didn't have my old scope on hand to compare side-by-side, but I was able to seperate Pacific and Red-Throated Loons at places I know I haven't been able to in the past and this was late in the day with the sun in front of me. Best $30 I've ever spent. My only issue came with a few distant birds where 30x wasn't quite enough and I needed to swap back to the zoom to be confident of the ID. I'm tempted to try a ~10mm eyepiece for those days when I need extra reach. I think a fixed eyepiece might perform better in these situations.

Scope quality seems good overall. Built like a tank, from what I can tell, but I still would like a hard case to keep it in since it rarely leaves my car. The screw-on eyepiece cover is awesome. I lost the front objective lens cover on my first day out, somehow, so I'm hoping it's a standard 82mm camera lens cover. The stay-on case is my biggest complaint. You can't really leave it full on while your scope it mounted and have to move it to an awkward position to even mount the scope at all.
Old Monday 17th February 2014, 12:25   #63
Cosme

Sorry for the bump ... there is not straight versions of the new regals?
Old Sunday 9th March 2014, 23:51   #64
L.M.

Hey everyone, I'm reading this thread with great interest, & just ordered a " Celestron Regal M2 100 ED Spotting Scope / Digital Camera Adapter-Universal " , which I should receive, within a few days.

My purchase was based highly, on the " Reviews " posted.

I'm new at all of this, & have a few questions. I hope some of you , will provide a bit of additional guidance,I.E; " Eyepieces " .

I was initially looking at the " 80 ED with the Long Eye Relief Eyepiece", but decided on the bigger scope. I guessed, that I could later add a long eye relief eyepiece , " IF " needed it ..?
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/c...-eyepiece.html

I reviewed the " Celestron " online catalog, and found a " Long Eye Relief Eyepiece ".
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/ler-eyepiece.html

Questions:
1. Is this the same one on the " 80 ED Long Relief Eyepiece " ?

2. Do I need some sort of adapter, to use it on the " 100 ED ". Or is it a simple drop in unit ?

3. Are there any other ( Better Quality / upgrade Drop in ) similar , Long Eye Relief Eye Pieces, sold by other vendors ..?

Thanks for any advice !

L.M.

Last edited by L.M. : Monday 10th March 2014 at 00:24.
Old Monday 10th March 2014, 01:04   #65
mooreorless

1. L.M. look at the specs on field of view 80mm > 2.1 on the 80ED Regal link and then look at the eyepiece specs for the Long Eye Relief Eyepiece link> 2.1 for the 80mm I would say this is the same eyepiece, both list 32mm ER.
2. You should not, it is a 1.25"[32MM] eyepiece that fits these scopes.

3. Probably. Sorry couldn't help on this one.
Old Monday 10th March 2014, 01:08   #66
L.M.

Thanks.. any advice is greatly appreciated

L.M.
Old Wednesday 12th March 2014, 19:32   #67
DRodrigues

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
3. Are there any other ( Better Quality / upgrade Drop in ) similar , Long Eye Relief Eye Pieces, sold by other vendors ..?
L.M.
There are (e.g. 30-32mm and 40-42mm plossls), but the question is why/for what to you need LER? For different uses there are different better solutions...

http://www.pt-ducks.com
Old Wednesday 12th March 2014, 22:30   #68
L.M.

Eyeypiece

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at " Kowa Scopes " for years, but couldn't justify buying one of their high end scopes.

I'm currently retired (LEO), with a bit more idle time on hand, to pursue my hobbies.

Unfortunately, I have toooo many hobbies, & have to budget myself, or lose my " Beer Budget " ( My wife Rules ).

So, I needed to find a reasonably priced scope, with lots of versatility, to fulfill my wants, in order.

1. Bird / Nature observation / Star gazing (Traveling/Camping excursions).
2. Easy to use; with " Prescription Eye Glasses " (Long Eye Relief ?).
3. Camera friendly.
4. Portable.
5. Easy to use; to share with grandkids (Buying points, to convince wife).
6. For use on the Shooting Range (Long Eye Relief ?); JOB related activities.

I'm also involved in the " Shooting Sport / Activities ", specifically " Youth Activities "; Boys Scouts Merit Badges / 4-H Clubs, etc. (all volunteer work)

UPDATE: I received my scope on Monday. After a brief inspection, I decided to order the " Long Eye Relief, 32mm Eyeypiece " from Celestron ( 30x using M2 100 ED Scope).

My only current complaint,,.. the " Carrying Case " does not fit. I called " Celestron " Tech Support Unit, & spoke with a young man.

His explanation; " The cases are a tight fit ".

I told him; " It doesn't fit period. My conclusions were,.. the case was sized for the " M2 80 ED ".

He responded; " I'll have to make a note ( He took my personal info ) . We might be able to find one .. ? But, we don’t assemble them here. You might have to ship it back to us, & we will send you another boxed unit “.

I responded; " Okay.. but, what would that solve " IF " , where ever they are assembled, and boxed ? Someone might be pulling the wrong carrying cases, from the wrong bins, one after the other ? I might be in the same situation, along with a hundred other customers ?

He responded; " That won't happen. We will open the box " QC " ( Quality Control ? ) before we ship it out ".

I'm now waiting to see " What they decide "..?

Oh well, I'm going to give it a thorough testing and evaluation, with a few of my " Club Members ". A few of them have " High Budget Scopes ", which to compare against. ( 100 yards – 1000 ).

p.s: I do have a few extra " Eyepieces ", from a previous low budget purchase (Meade 90mm Telescope).
1. Meade Super Plossl 40mm
2. GS-5 15mm

Again, thanks for all of the responses & advice

EDIT:
I just received in todays mail, my " Long Eye Relief Eyepiece ",.. that was fast

L.M.

Last edited by L.M. : Thursday 13th March 2014 at 06:57.
Old Thursday 13th March 2014, 01:51   #69
L.M.

Carrying Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
" ................
My only current complaint,,.. the " Carrying Case " does not fit. I called " Celestron " Tech Support Unit, & spoke with a young man.

His explanation; " The cases are a tight fit ".

I told him; " It doesn't fit period. My conclusions were,.. the case was sized for the " M2 80 ED ".

He responded; " I'll have to make a note ( He took my personal info ) . We might be able to find one .. ? But, we don’t assemble them here. You might have to ship it back to us, & we will send you another boxed unit “.

I responded; " Okay.. but, what would that solve " IF " , where ever they are assembled, and boxed ? Someone might be pulling the wrong carrying cases, from the wrong bins, one after the other ? I might be in the same situation, along with a hundred other customers ?

He responded; " That won't happen. We will open the box " QC " ( Quality Control ? ) before we ship it out ".

I'm now waiting to see " What they decide "..? ........."

L.M.
FYI:

I just received an e-mail informing me that I will be soon receiving a replacement carrying case.

That was a pretty fast response !

L.M.

Last edited by L.M. : Thursday 13th March 2014 at 05:42.
Old Thursday 13th March 2014, 11:20   #70
FrankD

LM,

Glad to see you received such quick service. I have to say that that specific combination you have going looks like it would be excellent! I wonder how wide of a field of view the long eye relief eyepiece has?
One thing to note when reading these forums is to make sure and "filter" the reviews through the prism of knowledge that we are a bunch of OCD nutcases who hyperanalyze any minute differences in order to have stuff to talk about here.... Eitanaltman
Old Thursday 13th March 2014, 15:45   #71
L.M.

Long Eye Relief Eyepiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
LM,

Glad to see you received such quick service. I have to say that that specific combination you have going looks like it would be excellent! I wonder how wide of a field of view the long eye relief eyepiece has?
I'll be at the range on "Saturday" ( Marked Distance 100-1000 yards ) along with fellow cub members. A few (National Level Competitors ) have lots of knowledge & time looking thru " Quality Optics ".

L.M.
Old Thursday 13th March 2014, 16:02   #72
Kammerdiner

The case that came with my Regal 80mm was too small as well, but Celestron sent a replacement pronto. It looks identical to the original, just a smidge bigger. It's surprising that they still supply M2's with small cases.

LM, unless you really need all that eye relief, you might look into the Baader Hyperion line. 20mm eye relief and widefield as well. I have a 17mm Baader that yields 28x on the 80mm and wow that is a NICE view!

Of course at the range that extra long (32mm) eye relief would come in handy and widefields are less important.

Mark
Old Thursday 13th March 2014, 23:32   #73
L.M.

Carrying Case

Hi everyone,

I just received a replacement carrying case (Black Case ). It appears to be of a slightly different design,and slipped right on without any effort.

Side by side comparison.

Scope fits inside case, with the " Balance plate " attached

My only concern,.. theres not much padding on the case.

L.M.

Last edited by L.M. : Thursday 13th March 2014 at 23:47.
Old Saturday 15th March 2014, 00:39   #74
NatureLvrCanada

I have the Celestron M2 80ED. What is a long eye-piece I can use on the scope for more reach? Would it be easy to take the standard eye-piece off the scope and put on the longer one from time to time?

BTW, I am really enjoying the scope. It is much brighter and sharper and less CA than my previous Alpen 786.
Old Saturday 15th March 2014, 05:47   #75
L.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
LM,

I'm a newbie , so I'm not sure what your asking ..?

However, I pulled this off the " Celestron Website "

32mm Long Eye Relief eyepiece
Apparent Field of View 2.5 (65 mm)/2.1 (80 mm)/1.8 (100 mm)
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/ler-eyepiece.html

Additional " FYI ". I'm not sure if the below " Zoom Eyepiece" is the same one used on the " Regal M2 Series " ?

Deluxe Zoom Eyepiece 8-24 mm - 1.25” & 2”
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/d...iece-8-24.html

L.M.

Last edited by L.M. : Saturday 15th March 2014 at 05:51.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: