• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shooting Comorants at a Heronry (1 Viewer)

Redshank3

This winter I have been regularly watching a few local Heronries for nesting activity. Today unfortunately I arrived at one site where I know herons are nesting (2 visible nests, likely more hidden in the trees) to find it very disturbed with no Herons present. Cormorants also nest in the Heronry and today there were people shooting at the Cormorants in the trees and as they flew in to the island.

The shooting drove off and kept the Cormorants away from their nests leaving all the Cormorant nests abandoned for over an hour in sub-zero temperatures. I am unsure if the Herons remained on their nests however I saw no activity (usually herons would be coming in or leaving every 20 minutes or so) suggesting that they too had been temporarily driven away.

This site is in an SSSI. From the signage I believe it is owned by a fishing club.

Does anyone know if shooting Cormorants in this manner is legal? I realise that Cormorants can be shot under license from DEFRA but surely this does not allow shooting at the nest or in such a manner to disturb other breeding species?

Tom

This winter I have been regularly watching a few local Heronries for nesting activity. Today unfortunately I arrived at one site where I know herons are nesting (2 visible nests, likely more hidden in the trees) to find it very disturbed with no Herons present. Cormorants also nest in the Heronry and today there were people shooting at the Cormorants in the trees and as they flew in to the island.

The shooting drove off and kept the Cormorants away from their nests leaving all the Cormorant nests abandoned for over an hour in sub-zero temperatures. I am unsure if the Herons remained on their nests however I saw no activity (usually herons would be coming in or leaving every 20 minutes or so) suggesting that they too had been temporarily driven away.

This site is in an SSSI. From the signage I believe it is owned by a fishing club.

Does anyone know if shooting Cormorants in this manner is legal? I realise that Cormorants can be shot under license from DEFRA but surely this does not allow shooting at the nest or in such a manner to disturb other breeding species?

Tom

Tom, The answer is no it doesn't. Report it to the Police (who have responsibility for Wildlife offences) and Natural England (who have responsibility for overseeing SSSIs).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back