• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin Strokers (1 Viewer)

Jeanie

Jeanie with one n.
I have read a few threads over the past few months where this term is used. My understanding of the term is that it is a put down of the middle aged people, probably a couple, who have enjoyed watching birds in their garden and now, bless their cotton socks, have bought a pair of bins to share so they can look at the ducks from a hide. They are to be tolerated as long as they do not get in the way if something good arrives.

So, what is the opposite of a Robin Stroker? Is it a Robin Trampler? The sort of person who shoves in front of the standing bird watchers to get a better look and disturbs the bird in the process, who marches over sand disturbing the roosting birds to get his 'one good shot' of the day? Who sits all day in a hide with their hugh scope/lens stuck out of the window and by gum there not going to move.

I know who I prefer to be in a hide with.

I have read a few threads over the past few months where this term is used. My understanding of the term is that it is a put down of the middle aged people, probably a couple, who have enjoyed watching birds in their garden and now, bless their cotton socks, have bought a pair of bins to share so they can look at the ducks from a hide. They are to be tolerated as long as they do not get in the way if something good arrives.

So, what is the opposite of a Robin Stroker? Is it a Robin Trampler? The sort of person who shoves in front of the standing bird watchers to get a better look and disturbs the bird in the process, who marches over sand disturbing the roosting birds to get his 'one good shot' of the day? Who sits all day in a hide with their hugh scope/lens stuck out of the window and by gum there not going to move.

I know who I prefer to be in a hide with.

An alternative is "the Blue Tit Brigade"

I think any hobby sees degrees of involvement, whereby the most "dedicated" will often disparage the more casual participant. A good example is football where the season ticket holder (particularly those who travel away as well) look down those "glory hunters" who may attempt the odd cup tie.

I wonder when a Robin Stroker becomes a Robin ignorer. Is it when you can tell a Pipit from a Lark or do you have to know your 2Y juv gulls from a 3 Y?

I think any hobby sees degrees of involvement, whereby the most "dedicated" will often disparage the more casual participant. A good example is football where the season ticket holder (particularly those who travel away as well) look down those "glory hunters" who may attempt the odd cup tie.

I agree, but nowadays the transition from banter to insult seems all too rapid. There seems to be a very prominent need in this country for people to portray themselves as being in a comfortable place in a hierarchy, or even to invent a hierarchy. Sure, it exists elsewhere, but check out the 'Have Your Say' forum on the BBC News website (and it doesn't really matter what the subject is), and the sneering superiority expressed (usually) by low-information posters is extremely common.

I'd like to think that the term 'Robin Strokers' was coined with a degree of affectionate exasperation, but it quickly became widespread expression of contempt, but perhaps others don't see it that way.
MJB

Robin Stroker certainly conjures a picture in my mind, but that's all.

I blame Mr Oddie and his Little Black Bird Book, which outlined the hierarchy originally (earlier claims must be supported by references) and put the idea in everyone's minds.

Dudes, raspberries, patchers, twitchers, maniacs, premiership birders, laridophiles, seawatchers, ringers, birders, birdwatchers, grockles...... it only matters if you let it.

John

Everyone to his/her own, but the thing is, enjoy it!, birding is a fantastic way of life, whichever way you choose.

Pff...I would probably be considered a "robin stroker," or just a rubbish birder. I don't have much money, so I use a camera with a long lens to zoom in on birds, even when I'm not taking photos (the camera is old enough to predate my interest in birding, or I'd have gone for a good scope, instead). I'm constantly whipping out my iPod to check birds against pictures, often repeatedly, as I get confused if the bird isn't standing at precisely the same angle as the one in the illustration, with markings that match to the millimetre. My lifetime list was started last year, and is shorter than many birdforum-goers' daily lists. I've only ever birded in downtown Vancouver, though I may be birding southern Ontario, by this time next year (got a move in the works). I still get excited when I see a chickadee or song sparrow, and think starlings are excellent. And I probably WOULD stroke a robin, if it let me. Well, not really; it could have mites, or salmonella, or whatever else wild birds carry. But I'd look at it happily for at least half an hour.

That said, I think I'd be a decent birding companion, for anyone who didn't mind staying within a fairly small area. I've frightened a bird or two by accident (there are so many song sparrows around my building that it's hard NOT to brush past a few, when walking out the door or exploring the gardens). But for the most part, I'm quiet, respectful, bird-friendly, and unlikely to mock anyone even worse at birding than myself.

Everyone to his/her own, but the thing is, enjoy it!, birding is a fantastic way of life, whichever way you choose.

Here, here. This is all that matters, enjoy and do what you can to the best of your ability. Let the judgement be the level of satisfaction you gain from your experiences.

There are a lot of people who look down on Robin strokers sadly. Many "serious" birders criticise the way hides are built, because they are probably built for the general public and not their needs.

There are a lot of people who look down on Robin strokers sadly. Many "serious" birders criticise the way hides are built, because they are probably built for the general public and not their needs.

It is sad that people look down on robin strokers, as the latter make up the bulk of RSPB membership.

However, I suggest that is irrelevant to the second point in your post because changes that will benefit birders will actually benefit the general public as well, e.g. seats that can be adjusted for height and distance from window, windows that open upwards, shelves that don't have gaps at the back for your stuff to fall down, absence of tinted film on windows, doors that slide rather than banging etc.

John

To try and lighten this post, we went to a nearby reserve to see if we could see the LSW that had been seen. All we saw all morning were Robins. One in particular near the tree where the LSW is normally seen was positively pirouetting in front of us.
He seemed to be saying, "We will have no Robin ignorers around here, thank you very much!"

The reason I stared this post was to get people who chortle at the term R.S to realise that they may well be included in the description.
As anyone with any sense knows, there is room for all.

The reason I stared this post was to get people who chortle at the term R.S to realise that they may well be included in the description.
As anyone with any sense knows, there is room for all.

I've never stroked a robin in my life, but wonder if bird ringers sometimes stroke robins if they catch them!

Seriously, now, folks, as Farnboro John wrote, with people termed "robin strokers" making up a sizeable proportion of the membership of the RSPB, if it wasn't for "robin strokers" surely the RSPB would have less funds for its bird protection work. That would be to the detriment of everyone interested in birds in the UK. Just a thought!

Seriously, now, folks, as Farnboro John wrote, with people termed "robin strokers" making up a sizeable proportion of the membership of the RSPB, if it wasn't for "robin strokers" surely the RSPB would have less funds for its bird protection work. That would be to the detriment of everyone interested in birds in the UK. Just a thought!

True enough and with that said we must be wary of the line between robin-stroking and anti-science. It is easy, for example, for birdfeeding folk who don't perhaps bird outside their gardens to get trapped in the web of lies perpetuated by the songbird survival trust or "that nice magnus linklater in the Times" when a sprawk starts emptying their feeders of beloved visitors.

For that reason if no other the robinstrokers of the world must be engaged and appeased!

lighten up Jeanie, as an old senile birder I get plenty of stick off birding pals (Robin Stroker etc.) but when I needed help they were there bless em.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back