• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Running Out of Money and Sultanas (1 Viewer)

polia

We feed birds all year round,having the common garden birds visiting daily. The recent extreme weather has resulted in many more birds coming to feed including Starlings,House Sparrows, 4 Thrush !!!! We havn':gh:t seen a Thrush or Starling for 2 yrs. Today I counted over 20 Black Birds, as many Starlings and Sparrows plus a few Chaffinch and lots of Blue Tits. I am getting through 2 packs of Sultanas a day, plus have spent over £150 on different bird seeds since late November. Don't wish to stop feeding the birds so if anyone can suggest how I can cut down on expense I would be extremely grateful. Many thanks

We feed birds all year round,having the common garden birds visiting daily. The recent extreme weather has resulted in many more birds coming to feed including Starlings,House Sparrows, 4 Thrush !!!! We havn':gh:t seen a Thrush or Starling for 2 yrs. Today I counted over 20 Black Birds, as many Starlings and Sparrows plus a few Chaffinch and lots of Blue Tits. I am getting through 2 packs of Sultanas a day, plus have spent over £150 on different bird seeds since late November. Don't wish to stop feeding the birds so if anyone can suggest how I can cut down on expense I would be extremely grateful. Many thanks

I bulk buy cheap [non food grade?] sultanas in boxes of around 10kg from ebay, normally works out a bit cheaper than bags of the "value" end of supermarket ranges - hope this helps

With regard to Sultanas I agree with Pitvar getting the stores value range ones, that is what I use and they always eat them. They might even have them in poundshops as well.
If you use fat balls I have found the best places for these either Wilkinsons or Poundstretcher. I get them in a bucket of 50 for £5.99.

With regard to food have you tried you local market for any stalls. They may have it cheaper.Try to avoid any that are big named brands as they seem to add extra on for being just that.
It might be worth considering buying in bulk like a 15kg sack as this will work out cheaper than the odd small packet. We get a 25kg sack of Sunflower hearts which last us about 4 months or more for £30 from our local seed merchant. If this bulk option would be possible for you check to see if there are any in your area [some even deliver free] .If you cant find one you could always check out Amazon they have them, I found out this one for example who deliver free.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Extra%20Select&index=pets&search-type=ss
The only thing when you get a sack I would suggest keep it in the house and not in a shed. If you think you cant carry a large amount I am sure most delivery drivers would put it were you wanted it storing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back