• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bogota Sunangel (1 Viewer)

Daniel Philippe

J. J. Kirchman, C. C. Witt, J. A. McGuire and G. R. Graves 2009
DNA from a 100-year-old holotype confirms the validity of a potentially extinct hummingbird species
Biology Letters online

Abstract
We used mtDNA sequence data to confirm that the controversial 100-year-old holotype of the Bogotá sunangel (Heliangelus zusii) represents a valid species. We demonstrate that H. zusii is genetically well differentiated from taxa previously hypothesized to have given rise to the specimen via hybridization. Phylogenetic analyses place H. zusii as sister to a clade of mid- to high-elevation Andean species currently placed in the genera Taphrolesbia and Aglaiocercus. Heliangelus zusii, presumed extinct, has never been observed in nature by biologists. We infer that the species occupied a restricted distribution between the upper tropical and temperate zones of the northern Andes and that it was most probably driven to extinction by deforestation that accompanied human population growth during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. We demonstrate the feasibility of obtaining DNA from nearly microscopic tissue samples from old hummingbird specimens and suggest that these methods could be used to resolve the taxonomy of dozens of avian taxa known only from type specimens.

Well, Daniel was so kind and has send this paper to me yesterday but thanks that you provide this file to all who are interested.

Well it is a sunangel... just look at Royal Sunangel for comparison! I was a bit taken aback by the depictions I have, but here is the holotype, where the green throat is not as apparent as I thought it would be.

I'll be in Colombia in three weeks...

Well, I did see some photos but they are not there anymore?? The photographer had said he was not going to tell anyone where they were from but the IBC google map deal put a pin into the map below Bogata. I have the same problem when I am trying to supress good birds on Ebirds when it is on private property. The Google Maps robot opined that this is a hybrid. I think? From the SACC :
"Graves (1993) hypothesised a likely distribution for the species in the Central or East Andes of Colombia. As most "Bogotá" skins were apparently collected in the East and Central Andes of Colombia and the Magdalena Valley, and given the likely relations of the type specimen, this is a sensible hypothesis. However, it is merely a hypothesis. Some "Bogotá" skins were apparently collected in Ecuador and Peru (possibly Panama, which used to be part of Colombia?); and old specimen label data, especially data with such cursory locality information, is in any event often unreliable."
Now we know that the bird was from real Columbia it is more or less likely a hybrid??

On another photo by the same photographer he says:
Sorry about the heliabgelus pictures - they were giving me a credit that I don´t deserve, besides the issue needs more research.

also: I am neither a professional birder, nor a photographer. Maybe I am pretending to be both, but really I'm just someone who likes to go out and share images of what I find on my way. I am also someone at the right time and place. Right place because there is no country like Colombia for birding purposes. Right time, because I am afraid that in a few years birds won't be so easy to find.

Last edited:
MB, the first post in this thread describes DNA work to refute the hybrid hypothesis...

Niels

Wow. Amazing news, for both ornithology and conservation ... if it is this species.

There's been some talk of it being a Ramphomicrum. It's difficult to tell with just one photo, but a range extension for Royal Sunangel H. regalis ought probably also to be discounted by those who know these birds better.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back