• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2017 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Sunday, March 19: Waterloo Park, Waterloo, Ontario.

Finally, some decent weather around here, and the birds are coming out (and I am more able to get out!).

17) Song Sparrow
18) Turkey Vulture
19) Ring-billed Gull

Peter C.

I was in the UK last week and managed to have a day out at Dawlish on the south coast. Didn't see much, But I did pick up a few year birds

116. Little Egret
117. Common Redshank
118. Eurasian Oystercatcher
119. Eurasian Curlew
120. Dunlin
121. Ruddy Turnstone
122. Brent Goose
123. Common Ringed Plover
124. European Stonechat
125. European Shag
126. Velvet Scoter
127. Common Scoter

padded some hotspot lists but only 4 new for 5 hours work
120 Baird’s sandpiper
121 Hermit Thrush
122 Lesser black-backed gull
123 Wilson’s snipe

125 hooded merganser
126 fox sparrow
127 wood duck
128 chipping sparrow
I got some feedback on the last from eBird reviewer, but it was the persistent chipper I know

Last edited:
New species arriving daily now, so a busy couple of days birding around Germany including Steinhorster Becken, Dangast (Jadebusen) and the Ochsenmoor (South of the Dummersee) gave me the following:

100 Wood Duck
101 Mandarin Duck
102 Green Sandpiper
103 Baikal Teal (ringed with a green ring)
104 Sanderling
105 Common Greenshank
106 Dunlin
107 Common Sandpiper
108 Pied Avocet
109 Spotted Redshank
110 Northern Pintail
111 Meadow Pipit
112 Yellow Wagtail
113 Common Snipe
114 Common Stonechat
115 Osprey
116 Willow Warbler
117 Marsh Harrier
118 Garganey
119 Red Knot
120 Lesser Black Backed Gull

Last edited:
Early migrants are starting to trickle in. I picked up three birds today.

117. Pectoral Sandpiper
118. Common Loon
119. Brown Thrasher

Dave

All local to North Devon:
Black Redstart
Merlin
Northern Wheatear
Osprey (over my house!)
Little Ringed Plover
Blackcap
Swallow
144 Willow Warbler

Wednesday, March 29: Lakeside Park, Kitchener, Ontario.

20) Red-bellied Woodpecker
21) Hooded Merganser
22) Common Merganser

The migration season has kicked in!

I have enjoyed seeing some more birds near my home in recent days and I was lucky early this week to get to spend a long hour in the Ramble of Central Park on what was a rainy day.

My perseverance was rewarded with two new lifers!

March 18

Capital Crescent Trail, Bethesda, MD, USA
90. Carolina Wren
91. Chipping Sparrow
92. Eastern Towhee
93. Tufted Titmouse

March 28

The Ramble, Central Park, New York, NY, USA

94. Northern Shoveler
95. Black-capped Chickadee
96. Swamp Sparrow
97. Rusty Blackbird

98. Common Grackle

Spotted from the train on the way home today (March 30)...
99. Great Egret in Kearny Marsh US-NJ

And twittering around my neighborhood
100. White-breasted Nuthatch

Latest Lifer: 578 : Rusty Blackbird (Central Park, New York, NY, USA; March 2017)

Scouring the Pasadena Red-crowned Parrot flocks at sunset earlier this week:
297. Red-lored Parrot
298. Yellow-headed Parrot
299. Lilac-crowned Parrot

And some Hollywood birding in between running errands today:
300. Townsend’s Warbler
301. Indian Peafowl
302. Mute Swan

Additional side-note - had my first Myrtle Warbler of the year (and actually first for California). Just a subspecies for now, but the expectation is that the NACC will rule favorably this year on splitting Yellow-rumped Warbler. Fingers crossed!

The Indian Peafowl is a conundrum. I’ve seen them earlier this year and up until now have not been including them on year lists because I’ve reported them through eBird as “Indian Peafowl (domestic bird)”. They’re not unusual in certain areas of LA, places like the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, the LA Arboretum and some Palos Verdes neighborhoods. However with a recent post by our local birding guru and eBird compiler for LA County (http://digest.sialia.com/?rm=message;id=1290923), I’ve decided to officially move them onto my list of general countable introduced species. So basically treating it similarly to the parrots listed above - what I call “tentatively self-sustaining.” I include them in my year list total, but I keep 3 distinctly different year list numbers: total within the ABA area; ABA accepted; and non-introduced (currently within the ABA area: 164 total / 154 ABA accepted / 147 non-introduced).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back