• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting bird at Cove Bay, Aberdeen (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
hi there

Not sure whether to post in in the Aberdeen area of this Forum.

I spent my weekend staying at Cove Bay Hotel for other reasons (but had to include some birding - as you do LOL) - ;);););)

As the map photo shows we spent our Saturday morning wandering around the area. We came across a road called Stoneyhill Terrace and followed it the the end of the harbour wall - passing the sea defence wall which was huge to us...but had a history of not being strong enough for the waves that it has encountered over the years

We where lucky to see a Lesser Black Backed Gull, a Small tortoiseshell Butterfly, a Common Blue and the icing on the cake to us - a 'Rock' Pipit?

The area left to the mentioned Stoneyhill Terrace has a large area of scrub-land (as the top of the photo shows)
I was sure that I could hear calls from Rock Pipits skulking about the mentioned area. (The area is left to the road until it curved around to reach the harbour wall)

Love to hear if anyone can confirm this is the case.

I think the bird skulking is of the species of Rock Pipit, but if anyone is in the area - have a look early in the morning as they remain close to the Stoneyhill Terrace roadway, and they move away as the morning progresses (we where there at 9.30am)

Love to hear good news of any sightings that anyone has as I know this is special. I did not have to time to take for another day birding, but I would love to hear from locals to the area!!! :gh:

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back