• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring Hunting in Malta - Decision (1 Viewer)

Blimey - Is this good news from Malta at last......?!

Not necessarily. The decision doesn't actually BAN spring hunting in Malta.
Haven't read the whole thing but the EU press release says "the judgment clarifies that spring hunting may only be permitted under certain strict conditions strictly proportionate with the aim of conserving bird species" and that Malta's extended hunting of Quails and Turtles Doves in spring was not proportionate with that aim. Wait and see.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. The decision doesn't actually BAN spring hunting in Malta.
Haven't read the whole thing but the EU press release says "the judgment clarifies that spring hunting may only be permitted under certain strict conditions strictly proportionate with the aim of conserving bird species" and that Malta's extended hunting of Quails and Turtles Doves in spring was not proportionate with that aim. Wait and see.

The ECJ has confirmed that from data provided from the Maltese Government, Autumn is not an alternative to spring hunting. This puts the commission on a delicate balance and may give Malta the right to derogate, which in turn may spell bad news, that other EU states may also try to derogate for spring hunting. Its now become a question of interpretation of this last ECJ judgement.

However, on the positive, the ECJ did side with the commission that for the years 2004 to 2007, Malta broke EU Law. Now it remains to be seen in the coming years how this will evolve.
Most of the Maltese hunters seem to think that this is one court case of win all or lose all, which will determine spring hunting for all the years to come.

Happily this should not be the case as the commission will be monitoring Malta, year on year, as it should be doing with other EU states (if any) who ask for derogations, taking in consideration the IUCN Red list, the hunters' carnet de chasse and other figures, making the whole process difficult to comply with.

In the case of Maltese hunting, at least, even if there is spring hunting, there will be big brother monitoring, which is way better than it was just a few years ago when there was no control whatsoever.

Perhaps I am in the wrong place. I believe that sustainable utilization of natural resources via hunting is acually good for the population of a species due to the lack of natural preditors... and that lack of hunting causes issues with the health of the species as the popluation gets out of hand. But I am new to the forum... are most birders anti-hunting?
Aaron

Perhaps I am in the wrong place. I believe that sustainable utilization of natural resources via hunting is acually good for the population of a species due to the lack of natural preditors... and that lack of hunting causes issues with the health of the species as the popluation gets out of hand. But I am new to the forum... are most birders anti-hunting?
Aaron

Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum.

I don't want to get involved in the general pro's and con's of hunting, but the specific situation in Malta is not normal; and the word "sustainable" in your post simply doesn't apply (that was the basis of the European Court of Justice's recent decision). Yes, there are no natural predators on Malta; and that is because the local "hunters" kill them all.

Hi
Most birders are pretty much anti-hunting in Europe.
Maltese hunters, as Dave says, would not hunt in any way you recognize in America. They shoot pretty much everything they see.
Paul

Hi Aaron

There is a mix of views, but not everyone assumes that all hunting is by definition bad for species conservation. As has been described above though, the Maltese situation is very extreme with hunters shooting pretty well everything they see. The island is an important stage on the migration route of many species, hence its significance.

Mike

I live in Kansas and have lived in Namibia Africa. Both places animals have benefited greatly by hunting - and the conservation assoiciated with responsible hunting. I love animals. I remember a professional hunter friend of mine telling me the spanards shot everything... so what you say about many Europeans may very well be fact. Hunting irresponsibly is what causes many to be anti-hunting. One of the greatest hunting conservation messages is preached through the Hartman's Mountian Zebra of Namibia brought back from near extinction to great numbers today. True sportsman are conservationist with a heart for the animals.
Aaron

I live in Kansas and have lived in Namibia Africa. Both places animals have benefited greatly by hunting - and the conservation assoiciated with responsible hunting. I love animals. I remember a professional hunter friend of mine telling me the spanards shot everything... so what you say about many Europeans may very well be fact. Hunting irresponsibly is what causes many to be anti-hunting. One of the greatest hunting conservation messages is preached through the Hartman's Mountian Zebra of Namibia brought back from near extinction to great numbers today. True sportsman are conservationist with a heart for the animals.
Aaron

I have no particular problem with hunting if it is sustainable as it can (though not always) provide benefits for other species through habitat management. However, as others have pointed out, hunting on Malta is not carried out in a sustainable way, and has more in common with the type of hunting that led to the extinction of the Passenger Pigeon and Eskimo Curlew in N America. Spring hunting in particular depletes breeding populations, as it occurs after other sources of mortality have already removed most of the post-breeding surplus population. Sustainable hunting of birds is usually based around removing some of that post-breeding surplus between late summer and early winter. Provided the mortaility rate from other factors is compensatory and not additive to that caused by hunting, the breeding population should not be affected from one year to the next.

Last edited:
AGREED!

The wild turkey populations of Kansas have grown out of hand. That explains why they opened a spring hunt. We counted well over 1000 in one flock in the early summer. My dad's crops sustained damage on the edge... although we prefer to have the turkeys over the crop.

Thanks for the education! I am more informed about Malta!
Aaron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back