• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I think I got myself an amazing deal?? (1 Viewer)

dvboy

I have had a week off,weather has been LOUSY so I have been board looking around the net for deals on binoculars for the heck of it.I came across an auction on Ebay for a new set of Minox German HG 8X33,threw in a last second bid for $360 and won the auction!Cameraland has these new for $1295,or $999 on an open box.I am thinking the seller might have put the word German in by mistake,but the listed specs also match that of the German #62188 and not the Japan #62163.I am going to confirm with the seller before I pay for them,here is the link....
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110669828691&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I was watching that auction. If I didn't have a pair of German 10x43s coming from Doug today I probably would have bid on them. I read the listing closely and it plainly says that the binoculars are made in Germany. My spouse has a pair of Japanese made 8x33s (from Doug) and loves them. So it looks like you may have gotten the deal of the day.
Congratulations.

Thanks,I also just got a German APO HG 10x43 from Doug a couple days ago.I assume the German HG 8X33's have a MADE IN GERMANY printed on the focus wheel just like the 10x43's do?If its not made in Germany,then I just wont pay for the auction,anxiously awaiting a response from the seller.

I assume they do. My 10x43 HG Ger have MADE IN GERMANY printed on the focus wheel as well. If they are German then you stole them. They are still very fine binos if they are Japanese. The 8x33 is the "sleeper" of the JAP HG line and very well thought of. I assume the GER are even better. I am thrilled with my GER 10x43 HG. Although I got them late in the day and had little chance to use them they are bright and sharp right to the edges. I will fiddle with them tomorrow.

It plainly states "Yes" under made in Germany
in the description,and all the specs match the
MIG version.I have tried twice to get ahold of
the seller over the last couple days with no reply
so I am getting a BAD feeling about this!

I have been using Ebay for 10 years now,never had a problem until now.This idiot still has not replied to any of my messages.I did a little research and it seems a little suspicious to me that his Ebay personal name and his Paypal personal name are different,I found out that you can request a sellers phone number through Ebay,tried that and his number is no longer in service:C.I hope Paypal can retrieve my $$$,I have low tolerance for dis-honest people.

I have been using Ebay for 10 years now,never had a problem until now.This idiot still has not replied to any of my messages.I did a little research and it seems a little suspicious to me that his Ebay personal name and his Paypal personal name are different,I found out that you can request a sellers phone number through Ebay,tried that and his number is no longer in service:C.I hope Paypal can retrieve my $$$,I have low tolerance for dis-honest people.

I guess I am a little puzzled by your posts. You say earlier you are not going to pay him until he clarifies if they are the MIG model, but his listing and shipping charge is only for the USA, and you are in Canada. From your last post about getting your $$ back from paypal that you paid, how did you get the shipping charges to Canada in order to pay him if he didn't respond to your emails??

Yea,i screwed up there.When an auction goes a few days without being payed for Ebay sends repeated messages to pay,so thats what I did.Now I am going to see how safe and reliable Paypal is.Sorry for this thread going in the wrong direction,it no longer has much to do with Minox binoculars.

Last edited:
My paypal nightmare started on Christmas eve and still isnt over. Not only do they owe me money, but they sent ME to collections to add insult to injury!

Hopefully your situation works out... I've been using ebay for ages- buyer beware now more than ever.

My paypal nightmare started on Christmas eve and still isnt over. Not only do they owe me money, but they sent ME to collections to add insult to injury!

Hopefully your situation works out... I've been using ebay for ages- buyer beware now more than ever.

Thanks! According to Paypal if this guy does not respond within 9 days my payment will be refunded.My guess is thats the way it will go,but ya never know.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back