• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Gull @ Grafham Water UK - today (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

At the buoy way out from the boom, this huge Gull came in. Obviously to near for the Terns adn their juvs on the boom and two went out to chase it away. The gull did not even see them to begin with, they cam in from the south-east, behind him and screamed right past his head, scared the living daylights out of him. He got airborne and was circling towards the boom when they were upon him again, last seen heading towards the dam.
Sorry the pics are so poor, the buoy must be around 300 yards out and the light was poor and all that jazz.
A juv Caspian has been reported up here this week, wondered if this was it?

Attachments

• 0052.jpg
    0052.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 0053.jpg
    0053.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 0054.jpg
    0054.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 118
Thanks for the help guys, got to admit I visit Grafham pretty often, seldom see a gull this big. I thought that Herring Gull numbers were in decline and inland birds were a tiny proportion of the population though.

Both your statements are true, but the decline is from a massive increase in the latter half of the last century, to a large degree linked to massive landfilling of domestic waste, and it's recent major reduction as recycling and composting take over. The inland population is still large, and it remains by far the commonest large gull inland. I live on the Surrey/Sussex border and 10's if not hundreds overfly the house each evening as they commute between feeding and roosting. It is possible some of these birds never see the sea!

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back