• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fri 2 Feb - North Lancashire / South Lakes - advice pls (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I've a day free tomorrow in North Lancashire / South Lakes
(I need to be in Kendal for 5.20pm).

Weather forecast looks good.

Any recommendations for a day's birding please?

I was weighing up Leighton Moss &/or Walney Island but I'm not familiar with the area and any other thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi there,

Leighton Moss is obviously a fantastic reserve and much has already been written about it.

South Walney is great if you get the tide right otherwise can be a bit bleak (but seals! if that's your thing...), however it is a good hour away from Kendal.

Kendal Town centre can offer up great views of Dippers and Grey Wagtails on the river.

one idea might be to head to Sizergh Castle (about 20 mins from Kendal) Hawfinch here but you can also walk through the woods to the relatively new wetland hide, as detailed in link below.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sizergh/features/new-life-at-park-end-moss

Foulshaw Moss reserve is also only about another 10 minutes further along the A590 (in Barrow direction, and as a added benefit is much easier to access from the main road these days).

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sizergh/features/new-life-at-park-end-moss

If it was me would be tempted by Leighton Moss just for variety and the Cafe - although the Sizergh Cafe is pretty decent too!

I would go for the obvious delights of Leighton Moss
It will take less than an hour to cover the journey to Kendal which would allow you to linger into dusk (about 16:30 in Stockport).
As Phil says though, well worth finding time to visit the café and the home made cakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back