• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another Pipit Puzzle - from January 2004 (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear forum,
Here is a pipit that has been puzzling me since January 2004 when I first found it at my favourite spot in Kent, Oare Marshes.

Initially, the almost white ground colour of the underparts contrasting with the heavy blackish steaking made me think of Rock Pipt ('Scandinavian'?). The call was that of Rock Pipit to my ear and structurally it was much the same as two 'normal' Rock Pipits close by - but can a Rock Pipit appear so pale in the underparts?

This was at the time of the controversial Cornwall pipit at Hannafore Point, which I saw, and only added to my confusion. Unfortunately, I wasn't a member of the bird forum in January or I'd have posted this puzzle earlier!

Thanks,
Lancey

Attachments

• oarepipit 001.jpg
    oarepipit 001.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 240
  • oarepipit 002.jpg
    oarepipit 002.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 230
  • oarepipit 003.jpg
    oarepipit 003.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 243
  • oarepipit 004.jpg
    oarepipit 004.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 267
  • oarepipittail.jpg
    oarepipittail.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 223
Lancey,

If they are all the same bird then from 1 and 3 I would be happy it is a Scan Rock. Pic 4 looks more promising for Water Pipit, but if they are all the same bird I would go for Scan Rock.

Regards,

Stephen.

Hi all,
Littoralis for me as well.Was wondering,however,if some littoralis can still look much like this as late as early April,with no hint of pink on the throat or breast?
I had some birds with good supercilia on Knockadoon Head a few weeks back,and whitish underparts,but otherwise much as petrosus.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back