• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MD 8x42 CWP Monocular (1 Viewer)

edwincjones

I called Camerland NY this am to place an order of the Zen Ray 8x42 Monocular, but they were not in stock with an estimated backorder time of 2 or more months, so I ordered the Minox monocular instead.

Now I am trying to see what I ordered. I cannot find any reviews, and this seems like a new item. Description and specs sound good, but does anyone have information on this optic?

thanks,
edj

Hi edj,
You've ordered a pretty snazzy piece of gear.
According to this site: http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=3589&L=2 the glass comes with a built in compass and sight reticle. It is aimed at the boating community, but should work just fine for birding.
I've not handled this glass, but do own the Minox 8x25 monocular, which is a good performer with outstanding close up vision, really a butterfly/macro observation design, with a built in tripod fitting for longer observations.

"a pretty snazzy piece of gear" or a fun toy

I ordered monday afternoon, it arrived at local post office friday am in good shape.

After first light,
-optics very good, clear and sharp but some softening of focus outer 25%
-construction solid
-focus wheel is a little stiff, so far
-compass takes up about 20-25% FOV
-rangefinder is distracting
It is probably better for hunting, boating, hiking, than birding;
but a lot there for the money.

If I would have seen it "over the counter" I might have walked away,
but now that I have it, worth keeping. I was wanting a plain monocular,
and got more bells and whistles than expected.

edj

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back