• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shivers or goose bumps when seeing amazing art? (1 Viewer)

orniodesigns

Do you get physical vibes (shivers, goose bumps...) when you see magnificent art? Music affects many listeners, but what about paintings or sculptures?

Never really thought about it like that but i'd say its a yes from me. I quite like my music but I cant play a note so I think perhaps the fact that I do a bit of drawing and painting makes me appreciate amazing art that bit more.

Do you get physical vibes (shivers, goose bumps...) when you see magnificent art?

GOD, YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely :t:

Even just a few simple lines that captures the jizz of a species ~ animal, bird or plant ~ hits me in the chest and has me drawing in a sharp intake of breath (true...ask my hubby :-O ) and has me ITCHING to pick up my pencils and draw! Not copy that actual picture but just create something....even if it's one millionth as beautiful o:)

Hope this makes sense |:$|

I've certainly felt that - memorably when seeing Da Vinci's 'Madonna' cartoon. Just being able to see where and how the Man made marks was literally awe-some. The sarcophagi in Manchester museum made my entire body vibrate - a truly memorable experience.

I started weeping when I met up with the Berlin specimen of Archaeopteryx this summer. A truly special moment. I had a similar experience when, as a teenager, I came face to face with an original Ennion watercolour.

I started weeping when I met up with the Berlin specimen of Archaeopteryx this summer. A truly special moment. I had a similar experience when, as a teenager, I came face to face with an original Ennion watercolour.

The power of the original- another for the transported moment would be down with cave paintings in Font de Gaume. But even in the printed world and dare I say it on-line I can turn the page and get them ecstatic chills: I remember waaaay back it seems when I had a holiday job in a bookshop and the very first vol of the Jonsson 5 vol series arrived, that had me reaching for the smelling salts alright.

GOD, YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely :t:

Even just a few simple lines that captures the jizz of a species ~ animal, bird or plant ~ hits me in the chest and has me drawing in a sharp intake of breath (true...ask my hubby :-O ) and has me ITCHING to pick up my pencils and draw! Not copy that actual picture but just create something....even if it's one millionth as beautiful o:)

Hope this makes sense |:$|

As far as bird and wildlife art this hits it on the head for me. The only difference I'd say is that it has me itching to first get outside and then to draw.

For art in general, and often for wildlife art as well, I think that the most common physical sensation is that my eyes get bigger. I saw this behavior this summer when I was at an outdoor art festival and had art work for sale. Most people would just pass by without looking. But with a very few you could see their eyes get big, whether or not they actually stopped and bought something. For me it's similar with art that strikes me, something just pulls me to it.

I've always found it interesting to hear about different sensations to art. Music I think is far more physical and evocative. But still it's art I love the best.

definitely - yes - happened to me a number of times while viewing the work of the Group of Seven in Ontario's Kleinburg Gallery. particularly anything by AJ Casson.

He even did the odd bird painting!

On many occasions I became transfixed and literally cried for joy as I viewed great artwork. My most profound experiences were: 1) Monet's "Waterlilies" at the L'Orangerie in Paris, 2) Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling at the Vatican, and 3) Van Gogh's exhibit at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. There were many others but these were especially powerful.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back