• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 or Monarch 5 8x42 (1 Viewer)

frootz

Hello,

Does anyone have any opinions /experience of these two binoculars?

I guess the main question is do I want a larger fov (7s) or brighter image? (5s)?

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to find a dealer near me to try these side by side!

Thanks if you take the time to reply.

Dealers don't show the Monarch 7 8x30 in stock, some show available in late Nov. This is over here of course. I am interested in the Monarch 7 8x30 just because of it being light wt. [15.42oz/435g compared to 20.8 oz]with a decent field of view. This one is lighter than my Swarovski 8x30SLC neu with wider field, not that I would sell my Swaro.;) Eye relief is about the same. The only thing is that the focuser on this Monarch 7 8x30 is in the wrong place.;)

Last edited:
Dealers don't show the Monarch 7 8x30 in stock, some show available in late Nov. This is over here of course. )

I have seen The Monarch 7 8x30 with ED glass and dielectric coatings is being advertised by clifton camera in UK so I expect others might have it too.

I have bought the Monarch 5 8x42 with ED glass and dielectric coatings as a gift for someone but the field of view is very narrow, it would not suit me. I would have gone for the M7 8x30 if I had seen it first as it is not much more money and with the new glass and coatings I expect it will be nearly as bright.

You have a great bin in your Swaro, weight aside I wouldn't think any Monarch could come near being so enjoyable to use.

Last edited:
I thought the Monarch 5 I tried was a big improvement over the MkIII. taming the CA and improving contrast but it still has the same narrow view of course. I've tried four Monarch 7 x42s now and they just haven't impressed. Yes they have a wider view that is appealing, but I didn't find them particularly sharp and roughly half the view suffered from soft focus, in two samples, severely so.

I've only tried a pre-production sample of the Monarch 7 8x30, so there is no guarantee that the ones in the stores will match the one I tried. I thought it a much better binocular than it's big brother. The centre field was much sharper and the sweet spot wider. There is still significant softening at the edge of the view with some CA, but all in all a much more enjoyable viewing experience. It's the first Monarch I've wanted to own.

The difference between an x30 and x42 is about 2 fold in area and can't be ignored. I think I might be prepared to come home ten minutes earlier myself for a more rewarding view the rest of the day. You may differ of course.

Clifton Cameras has had the Monarch 7 x30s listed for two or three weeks now so I would hope to see some other opinions fairly soon.

David

Last edited:
I have to remind myself that these new Nikon Monarch 7 30mm binoculars are Nikon's first entry into the lower priced roof prism 32mm market. Nikon chose to do it with 30mm binoculars. (Previously the smallest economy priced roof prisms in the 30-40mm range that they made were 36mm and if the comments on Eagle Optics Website are any indication they were very popular. There were about 35 5 star comments there, as I recall. They are still shown on the NikonUSA website.)

I think that this move into 30mm is a good thing and I'm looking forward to trying one but they are still 30/32mm binoculars and we shouldn't be surprised if 42mm binoculars in the same price range perform better than they do in certain respects.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks everyone that's really helpful. I guess my main concern now is how 8x30s perform on dull days compared to 42s. The narrow fov on the 5s does concern me though . It's a compromise either way as usual!

Hi Frootz,

like Typo I was not that impressed with the Monarch 7 8x42 and echo his comments about outer field softness, to much for me.

I'm not so bothered about having a super wide field so just ordered a pair of the new Monarch 5 8x42........they are going straight back.

I may have received a dud but they were not very sharp even in the centre field, the whole image although bright had a golden hue and the colour rendition seemed to lack the blue end of the spectrum. There was little CA though.
They were very light weight and I thought the build quality was ok. I've already got several non ED roofs and porros that beat this' hands down

.....of course I may have been unlucky with this sample, but that would be enough to worry me about getting another pair. There are plenty of other better options available for less money.

Steve

Steve

Thanks Steve that's very helpful.

Can you or anyone else recommend a roof pair to go with a Nikon ed50 scope? I have been using Opticron verano bga oasis 8x32s which have been great but I thought Opticron and Nikon colour casts wouldn't mix well in use together.

Budget is up to £300 and I don't want anything too heavy. Or is monarch 7 8x30 the best option? Or would the Veranos be fine!

Last edited:
Hi Frootz,

The Verano BGA 8x32 is a good binocular, but I know what you mean about Nikon colour casts. Apart from all the usual suspects you might want to take a look at the newish Pentax 9x32 DCF BC. It is a superb lightweight optic with a decent field and a sharp to the edge image. It is better than the larger Pentax 9x42 BR.

Despite my disappointment with the Monarch 5 I would still be interested in trying the new monarch 7 8x30 ....as it sounds promising.

Cheers

Steve

I had a Monarch 10x42 till I replaced it with a Pentax 10x42 or is it 43? Neither is ED. So I had not looked at Monarchs for years. I went birding the other day with some 10x42 ED binos and I now wear glasses quite a bit, always to drive. The 10x is poor with glasses, and clumsy to find a view. So I went to see the Monarchs. The Monarch 5 at 8x42 was perfect. Very relaxed bright view, works with my current glasses. I still use some 10x, but if I have the scope with me, it's going to be the 8x42 from now on. I have the Bushnell Ultra 8x42s, but they were never a good match to my eyes, face and use. With glasses, I can use them but the Monarch is the match for me. Never mind the field of view. Everything in the field is in focus.

Main one is a 10x42 Prosomething ED. Bushnell Legend HD 10x36 works well for casual birding etc. 8x32 Pentax for college football. I take the glasses off for the football as I can still see a field and some guys even without the 8x32s. ;)

I have the Legend Ultra 10x42, it just is not needed as I have the 10x36.

Promaster is my guess. ;)

Nice to see you still collecting/using bins Tero. Your absence has been often commented upon. :)

Oh, sorry. My weekly birding is less and less, after getting most of the local birds. I have to go out of town to get new ones. Last lifer was spectacular, Colima warbler. But I got heat and altitude sickness and was not well coming down to celebrate. Took two hours to recover. I took some migraine pills, it helped.

So, with less birding interest you have had less binocular interest?

A shame as you were often one of the few posters that I always looked forwarding to reading.

Oh, sorry. My weekly birding is less and less, after getting most of the local birds. I have to go out of town to get new ones. Last lifer was spectacular, Colima warbler. But I got heat and altitude sickness and was not well coming down to celebrate. Took two hours to recover. I took some migraine pills, it helped.

Tero,

Are you obsessive/compulsive about lists? I get that way and try to avoid them or control them. Try making them daily or monthly or something other than lifetime.

Bob

No, my lists are pretty simple. I started making some state lists, did not get far. No longer doing a year list.

I'm not too involved with technical things now. Not even doing photography.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back