• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What lens for eos 1DX mk2 (1 Viewer)

salty

geordie birder
I’m currently using my 100-400 mk1 and love it, but want more reach and better image quality to match the body.

I’ve had a short sample of the sigma 150-600 sport but not in the field, I’m keen to know what folk are using similar to this or the 500mm canon etc?

I use my 1DX (Mk1) primarily with the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS and it is a superb, if heavy, combination. I also use the Canon 100-400 Mk2 and the Canon 300 F2.8 L IS.

Basically the 1DX series will work excellently with any Canon EF lens that you stick on the front of it, the question is which one suits your needs, wants and budget best!

Whilst the Canon "Big Whites" are superb they are not the most portable, especially if you end up needing a tripod etc. For reach at a reasonable weight I would look into the Canon 300 F2.8 L IS (Mk1 or 2) and extenders or the Canon 400 F4 DO Mk2 + a 1.4 extender. For the best in mobility I would suggest the Canon 100-400 Mk2 + a 1.4 Mk3 extender. It is a much better lens than your Mk1 and takes the extender well.

The Sigma Sports is great value for money but is only about 300 grams lighter than Canon 500 F4 L IS Mk2 - if the budget will allow the Canon is a much better lens + it gives you the option of 700 mm (1.4 extender) and a usable 1000 mm (2 x extender) - you did want more reach?

Just my thoughts........

I would only say that you should try the 1.4x before the 2x. With a new lens there are always challenges and a learning curve and and sticking to the tried and trusted 1.4x will help. The 2x brings its own challenges and I would suggest you need to have faith in your 500/1.4x combination first. Probably be shot down, but I find I rarely use the 2x whilst my 600/1.4 combination is my "go to" set up any day of the week.

Michael.

A 600mm/f4 is a better match on full frame. With a 1.4x TC it's also a bit more flexible than 800mm/f5.6.

Not so sure. I used to have the Canon 600 F4 L IS (+ extenders) but I find the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS to be a significantly better lens on FF crop and film.

Now the Canon 600 F4 L IS Mk2 is a different story as it is quite a bit lighter and works better with extenders - but it is also double the price that I paid for my 800 mm. Bit of a no brainer really? Also I don't find 600mm long enough for much of what I do so buying a lens at double the price and then having to use an extender is not quite so attractive to me.

Just my experiences.

Not so sure. I used to have the Canon 600 F4 L IS (+ extenders) but I find the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS to be a significantly better lens on FF crop and film.

Now the Canon 600 F4 L IS Mk2 is a different story as it is quite a bit lighter and works better with extenders - but it is also double the price that I paid for my 800 mm. Bit of a no brainer really? Also I don't find 600mm long enough for much of what I do so buying a lens at double the price and then having to use an extender is not quite so attractive to me.

Just my experiences.

Maybe I interpreted the subject as "if you only could have one long lens".:smoke: and If I had an 800mm I would have to get something shorter as well (I see you have). 300mm+800mm would be nice combo, but not cheap..:eek!:

Anyway, my main point was (probably) to get something significantly longer and faster than the TS's current 100-400/5.6mm zoom. That would be 600/4 on FF. 500mm would be a bit short IMO.

But if getting a completely new setup today I might even go for one of the new "lightweight" 500/4mm + a good APS-C camera. Sigma 500/4mm Sports + a D500 would probably be the best bang for the buck. But I don't think TS will drop Canon (1DX) for sigma/nikon...:-O

Last edited:
Maybe I interpreted the subject as "if you only could have one long lens".:smoke: and If I had an 800mm I would have to get something shorter as well (I see you have). 300mm+800mm would be nice combo, but not cheap..:eek!:

Anyway, my main point was (probably) to get something significantly longer and faster than the TS's current 100-400/5.6mm zoom. That would be 600/4 on FF. 500mm would be a bit short IMO.

But if getting a completely new setup today I might even go for one of the new "lightweight" 500/4mm + a good APS-C camera. Sigma 500/4mm Sports + a D500 would probably be the best bang for the buck. But I don't think TS will drop Canon (1DX) for sigma/nikon...:-O

The OP has the 1DX Mk2 so the speed of the lens is less important - though must still be considered. The 800 and 300 combination? Earlier today I was down at Carmarthen Cameras looking to sell my 300 F2.8 - it is just not getting used.

As to the Canon 500 F4 L IS being a bit short for FF you may be surprised. It takes the 1.4 extender very well and, in good light, the 2 x as well. The Mk2 version is even better! Having used a couple of 500 F4 L IS MK2 lenses with extenders they have got me thinking that my 800 may have to go to get one of these - or possibly the 600 Mk2?

The Sigma 500 F4 and D500 combo sounds nice - however I do not have any experience of either of them so I cannot comment. Certainly worth investigating - though I was disappointed with AF on the Nikon D4s and D5 on Nikon's big lenses. Perhaps the D500 is better? A friend has a D500 with a Nikon 300 F2.8 and gets some cracking shots so the D500 obviously works!

I had a quick (but very unscientific) test of the Sigma 500 f4 on my 7D Mk2 at Bird Fair in August. Very impressed with it based on the short time I had available.

Unfortunately for me, my wife was with me as well so a decision to purchase was quickly vetoed 3:)

The decision on the 500 MkII vs 600MkII is an ongoing one. I had the MkI(sic) 500 and switched to the 600 MkII because it was the same weight and I was a bit (too) paranoid about reach. I think most photographers would have real trouble telling the difference between the same cropped photograph, from the same distance, on the same day, with the same camera, at the same settings between the two. In retrospect (much as I love my 600 MkII) my advancing years mean that the weight saving going from 600 MkII to 500 MkII might just swing it for me to the 500 MkII.

But we are all different.......

M.

Thanks folks, I’ve managed to buy a really nice condition canon 500mm f4 looking forward to getting to use it!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back