• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new SF's love the bin hate the case (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mark

I now have a pair of Zeiss Victory SF's I didn't buy them and I didn't steal them that's all on that subject. As some of you know I'm a big fan of the Kowa Genesis and without using resolution charts I can't find a difference in sharpness and the Kowas may have a little more contrast. Now for the part tat got Lee so much grief from Broc when he tried to describe the difference in view between the SF and the HT. As Lee sad at the time there is no way to do it with out sounding like a wine snob. The view is huge the ergonomics fell like your hands are almost empty and you just kind of fall into the view like Alice and the looking glass. Its almost like there isn't anything there and your your eyes are magnifying the view its very much like a good pair of porros.There is a 3D effect that I've never seen in a roof before. I love my Kowa 8.5X44s and wont give them up but I think I'm In love with the SF's and yes I am perfectly sober and no more insane than usual. And the case makes the eyecups look great its a too small poorly thought out example of Zeiss's ability to screw up small details.
Steve

Stephen ...... That is a very nice description of your new SF. I assume it is the 8X42 based on the great 3D effect.

I agree about the case. It looks to be high quality but the design did not work for me. What does work is my favorite case and that is a Zeiss cordura case that they use for the 8/10X42 FL and HT. The HT case has a brown vinyl cover over the flap. I also have one for a Nikon EDG 10X42 and did a writeup on it long ago. It was originally purchased for a EDG 8X32. Here is a link with some photos.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2446254#post2446254

Here is another post showing the Zeiss SF in the Zeiss FL case .....

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3235838&postcount=2

Stephen
Nice of you to remember that discussion about SF vs HT and to be candid I am no nearer to coming up with a succinct description of their differences and similarities now than I was then.
As for the cases and eyecups, I think the case is fine and perfectly usable if a little cramped for room. It was born during a time when Swarovski cases were being widely criticised for being too big so I can see where Zeiss were coming from with this design. And honestly I can put hand on heart and say I fold the strap around the SFs and put them in the case without any struggling with the zip, but I agree there isn't 1 cubic centimetre of excess room and if you get impatient with it, it fights back. The eyecups just aren't of the right quality for a bino of this class. The ones on GPO HDs for example are total luxury and functionality by comparison while the ones on SFs just do the job.

Glad you love your SFs, however you came by them.............

The big question is what weight-lifting program are you going to take up to maintain your muscular condition now that you aren't lifting up those Kowa 44s? ;)

Lee

Last edited:
I didn't say I was giving u the Kowas. I live 40 miles from the Outer Banks oof North Carolina and when I go to the Ocean I usually take my 10.5X44's. At the distance most of them keep from humans the extra mag is helpful. Different tools for different jobs. The only thing I'm watching today is rain and the mercury falling in the thermometer.
Steve

I didn't say I was giving u the Kowas. I live 40 miles from the Outer Banks oof North Carolina and when I go to the Ocean I usually take my 10.5X44's. At the distance most of them keep from humans the extra mag is helpful. Different tools for different jobs. The only thing I'm watching today is rain and the mercury falling in the thermometer.
Steve

No, you said you were not giving up on the Kowas but I wondered if you would be reducing their usage having been seduced by SFs.

Good to know you will still be using the 44s.

We have a big blow coming through tomorrow followed by cold air bringing snow and ice. Where we live we might just escape the worst.

Lee

I thought the HT case was not bad looking and it appeared functional.

A.W.

It is Andy. It is a really good case.

Sagi's preferences illustrate why brands always get complaints about their bino cases: everybody wants something slightly different. Swaro got complaints way back that the EL case was too big, then the next one was too small, so they have come up with a whole range of them. Bet they still get complaints though.

Lee

Sagi's preferences illustrate why brands always get complaints about their bino cases: everybody wants something slightly different. Swaro got complaints way back that the EL case was too big, then the next one was too small, so they have come up with a whole range of them. Bet they still get complaints though.

Whole range? Does Swaro now give you a choice? (apart from CL)

The central issue is what "case" means. I just want a simple protective wrap for the bino, preferably one that doesn't even require lenscaps or retracting eyecups; the cordura Leica case some call cheap is actually perfect. I don't want accessory pockets, strap room, etc. If I'm carrying more than the bino itself, I'll choose an appropriate size pack that I like myself (back, shoulder, whatever) rather than expecting the manufacturer to guess.

Whole range? Does Swaro now give you a choice? (apart from CL)

The central issue is what "case" means. I just want a simple protective wrap for the bino, preferably one that doesn't even require lenscaps or retracting eyecups; the cordura Leica case some call cheap is actually perfect. I don't want accessory pockets, strap room, etc. If I'm carrying more than the bino itself, I'll choose an appropriate size pack that I like myself (back, shoulder, whatever) rather than expecting the manufacturer to guess.

Yep they have not only different sizes of regular cases for 32/42/50 etc, they have 3 other cases. One is called Urban Jungle and there are two more. You would need to visit the Swaro site for more info.

Me? I want a bag with a shoulder strap and room inside for the bino with neck strap and rainguard and nothing more.

Lee

I'm still undecided between Zeiss and Swarovski. I didn't really take a look at the case as it's not that important, but the lens cover being one big piece seemed to bother me. That's not really important either, I just liked the built-in Field Pro Swarovski version.

I am wondering who ever considers a case in the decision when purchasing a high end binocular.

I know, that I don't. This is the last of your concerns. In a ranking scale, it is around -0, in a
scale from 1-10.

Jerry

Last edited:
I am wondering who ever considers a case in the decision when purchasing a high end binocular.

I know, that I don't. This is the last of your concerns. In a ranking scale, it is around -0, in a
scale from 1-10.

Jerry

Its probably even lower than that Jerry.

When Zeiss USA introduced the Terra range (I know that isn't high end but stay with me) in the USA it was sold without a case although you could apply for one and get it free of charge. This was partly due to the transparent packaging it was sold in so that the binos were visible on display in big box stores but also so that Zeiss USA could find out just what percentage of buyers actually wanted a case that came with the bino as opposed to either not wanting one at all or having the choice of all the cases available on the market. I never did get to hear what they concluded from this so I will try to find out.

Lee

Its probably even lower than that Jerry.

When Zeiss USA introduced the Terra range (I know that isn't high end but stay with me) in the USA it was sold without a case although you could apply for one and get it free of charge. This was partly due to the transparent packaging it was sold in so that the binos were visible on display in big box stores but also so that Zeiss USA could find out just what percentage of buyers actually wanted a case that came with the bino as opposed to either not wanting one at all or having the choice of all the cases available on the market. I never did get to hear what they concluded from this so I will try to find out.

Lee

Lee:

In the US, Zeiss came out with an offer to purchase a proper cordura case
for the Terra, after some complaints came in.

I could not find out the details on the Zeiss subforum, but I think the price
was around $7.00, and I purchased one at that time.

So, Zeiss did try to help those in need of a case.

Jerry

Lee:

In the US, Zeiss came out with an offer to purchase a proper cordura case
for the Terra, after some complaints came in.

I could not find out the details on the Zeiss subforum, but I think the price
was around $7.00, and I purchased one at that time.

So, Zeiss did try to help those in need of a case.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Yes they did make a case available although I must have been mistaken when I said it was FOC if you had to pay $7.00. Apparently the take-up of folks applying for a case was very low so it seems most people in the USA buying binos at the Terra price level, either aren't bothered about getting a case at all or are just OK with buying one of the style and size of their choosing as an aftermarket accessory.

Lee

Is some manner of survey in order? Perhaps the following.

Do you:
a) never use a case;
b) always use a case;
c) use a case only when transporting your binoculars in circumstances when you know you will not be using them; or
d) think all discussion regarding binocular cases is unnecessary?

Best,
Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back