• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stalking the Elusive Alpha (1 Viewer)

Bob,

.....and sell as many binoculars as Nikon does.....

That would be so in volume beneath the Terra, Conquest, Trinovid and CL quality line.
I think the Monarch series, LV/HG series are in salesvolume not comparable with the sales volume of the others above and surely not the EDG serie in sales compared to HT/SF/SV/NV.

Writing this from a crashplace in the Caribs between two divesB :)B :)

Jan

And one big reason, IMO, is because of Nikon's (and Leica's) terrible warranty. It is what it is.

And one big reason, IMO, is because of Nikon's (and Leica's) terrible warranty. It is what it is.

You don't get it, do you? YOU pay for the no fault warranties. Everyone does. Those who look after their binoculars and never have any problems pay for those who don't care at all - because they've got that no fault warranty.

As far as I'm concerned all manufacturers should get rid of no fault warranties.

The sooner the better.

Hermann

You don't get it, do you? YOU pay for the no fault warranties. Everyone does...

Actually, Hermann, I'm afraid the situation may be much worse than that. Given that many premium bins cost much more in Europe than they do in the USA, and that bins (even Nikon, if it isn't an official refurb) often come with lifetime warranties in the USA that are not offered in Europe, I think it might be the case that YOU pay for the no fault warranties that I and others in the USA enjoy.

:)

--AP

You don't get it, do you? YOU pay for the no fault warranties. Everyone does. Those who look after their binoculars and never have any problems pay for those who don't care at all - because they've got that no fault warranty.

As far as I'm concerned all manufacturers should get rid of no fault warranties.

The sooner the better.

Hermann

Zeiss Conquest HD for example seem to be a lot more expensive in the US than in my store (EU).
One reason might be the 5-year no fault policy in US.
My guess is that extra the cost for warranty is by model and market.
So literally 'everyone' doesn't pay.

The sooner the better.

Hermann

You obviously don't get it at all. If you have to pay for these no fault, transferrable warranties, why does the Noctovid cost as much as an SV? Why does an EDG cost nearly as much? Try telling Swaro, Leupold, etc that getting rid of it is a good move. It's a huge selling tool.

The sooner the better.

Hermann

Agreed! See attached from BINOCULARS: Fallacy & Fact. :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 2.03.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 2.03.30 PM.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 58
Bob,

.....and sell as many binoculars as Nikon does.....

That would be so in volume beneath the Terra, Conquest, Trinovid and CL quality line.
I think the Monarch series, LV/HG series are in salesvolume not comparable with the sales volume of the others above and surely not the EDG serie in sales compared to HT/SF/SV/NV.

Writing this from a crashplace in the Caribs between two divesB :)B :)

Jan

Jan,

I'm talking about all the different binoculars that Nikon makes and sells under its name. Go to the Nikon USA website and count them! It would be economic stupidity for Nikon to have a warranty on all of their binoculars which carries over to 2nd party purchasers.

Bob

Jan,

I'm talking about all the different binoculars that Nikon makes and sells under its name. Go to the Nikon USA website and count them! It would be economic stupidity for Nikon to have a warranty on all of their binoculars which carries over to 2nd party purchasers.

Bob

Hi Bob,

It's obvious we are talking from the view of two different worlds: USA-EU;)
So probably we are both right.

Jan

Jan, post 92,
jij zou toch zwemmen en duiken??????
Perhaps you can tell us which binocular of the ones you took with you that is most suited for diving expeditions, there must be at least one Nikon type fulfilling these demands.
Gijs

Jan, post 92,
jij zou toch zwemmen en duiken??????
Perhaps you can tell us which binocular of the ones you took with you that is most suited for diving expeditions, there must be at least one Nikon type fulfilling these demands.
Gijs

Gijs
Hij zinkt en niet aan het duiken.

Maybe Nikon Oceanpros would be the right model, but I would prefer the bins below known as Skippers in some markets:

Lee

Attachments

• Skipper6x42.jpg
    Skipper6x42.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Any Zeiss, 5-10%. Swaro seem to have more similar prices.

I asked because when I went on-line shopping for Zeiss 10x42 Conquest HD, the prices I found in the USA from places like B&H, Adorama, and Amazon were substantially less than the prices that I found from European on-line shops (e.g. Amazon Germany and vendors included there). Which EU business should I be looking at for those low prices?

--AP

Last edited:
Jan

You only get an 11 year warranty over there, correct? I'm not sure about that.

Bob

Bob,

It all depends on the brand and/or its distributor.
For example, Zeiss offers for their Victory FL/HT/SF/Conquest line a 10 years warranty period which was extended to 25 by the distributor. These 15 extra years were not covered by Zeiss, so when Zeiss took the distribution back these 15 years extra were not valid anymore. The problem rises when the customer comes back within that extended period to the dealer and demands the warranty to be forfilled. By EU law, the dealer is responsible for the handling of the warranty. Not the distributor or brand. The dealer has to solve it with that distributor or brand. Much to often the ex distributor washes its hands in innocence, leaving the dealer out to dry. The new distributor points to the ex and the brand does the same. At the end long term vision stands and a black list of non corporating reps/brands occurB :)

Meopta gives 30 years warranty.

From own experience I can tell you Nikon gave/given less than 6 weeks warranty and Canon 1 year and not 2 weeks more when the electronics broke down of a stabilizer.

We can all argue what falls under the warranty claim and what not.
Sometimes a bin comes back with glas ratling like a snake inside and sometimes something just broke down. The story behind it is often the same: It just stopped working while I was using it.
I can imagine some brands/distributors get fed up with all kind of stories and take it black or white. NEVER THE LESS, Noblesse oblige is something an A-brand must have in their business plan. It pays back mucho grande.

Current EU regulations regarding warranty periods are strict. During the warranty period all genuine replacement parts are to be available within this period.
Maybe this is why Zeiss only offers 2 years warranty on the Terra line. BTW, I've never seen them repaired. Just a replacement with a new one.
I asked Zeiss about the difference in warranty periods between EU and US and their answer was that strategic sales issues was different from continent to continent.
Jan

Last edited:
Gijs
Hij zinkt en niet aan het duiken.

Maybe Nikon Oceanpros would be the right model, but I would prefer the bins below known as Skippers in some markets:

Lee

Okay, everyone wants to speak German. So, here goes:

Lea, datz ah niz schott ub dat Dialyte. Mae I hab purmischun tu stehl it foar mi culekshun? :cat:

Wilhelm Kock

Okay, everyone wants to speak German. So, here goes:

Lea, datz ah niz schott ub dat Dialyte. Mae I hab purmischun tu stehl it foar mi culekshun? :cat:

Wilhelm Kock

Hallo Wilhelm Kock

Isn't you kapitan auf Starship Enterpryz? Alzo duzent yur krew kall you Old Swabby? :-O

Actually it was Dutch, and mostly Google Translate Dutch at that.

The photo isn't one of mine but accompanied the bino a few years back when it was for sale. By all means save it to your collection but don't use it in any books or for any commercial purposes.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back