• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID, Help needed (1 Viewer)

Hi, Steve, can't help with the ID, but you might have to be patient as I think almost every birder in the UK is at or coming home from BirdFair about now. ;) ;) ;)

Hi steveandsue,

Not the best photo from the ID point of view - not enough of the features needed for an easy answer - a quick guess would be Garden Warbler, likely to be wrong though ;)!

Could you give us some details on how the bird looked in the field?

Cheers,

Andy.

I think this is a Sylvia warbler of some sort but the angle of the photograph means that we can't actually see much of the bird to help sort it out. I'm not certain but overall I agree with Andrew that this is a Garden Warbler.

Stuart

Warbler ID Help Needed

Hope this second pic helps,It was a large grey looking bird, many thanks Steve

Attachments

• Warb2.jpg
    Warb2.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 245
steveandsue said:
Hope this second pic helps,It was a large grey looking bird, many thanks Steve

The second pic helps a lot - and shows the bird to be a juvenile Barred Warbler. That's a very nice find indeed and a great image! The main features are the dark barring on the undertail coverts and the thin pale double wingbars, which together with the overall greyish colouration and stout bill with a pale lower inner mandible all adds upp to Barred Warbler.

Rgds

Greg

For me its a barred - also worth noteing there have been several occurances on the East coast on the same date.

I should echo Greg's congratulations, Barred Warbler is a nice find as it is relatively rare in the UK. It is also nice that a BF ID question has actually turned-out to be a rarity for once !

Stuart

I couldnt be sure as only got brief look through the lens as it flipped in front of me,the bird was in the Canal scrape car park at Spurn yesterday. Many Thanks Steve

What a great mystery bird photograph. The original profile shot creates a far more alert, inquisitive jizz than I normally associate with Barred Warblers. Even dark-eyed juveniles/1st autumn give a vacant, almost dumb impression, while the yellow-eyed adults look simply manic. The second photograph highlights some of the key Barred Warbler plumage feats: the pale fringed greater coverts and tertials along with scaly under-tail coverts.Great shots deserve to be published

inal picture is - you should make sure it gets published -

Just goes to show what a brilliant aid we have at our fingertips,full marks to BirdForum,and all who helped.Any help with getting it published,Mr Winter would be greatly recieved,as I havent a clue where to start?

Again Many Thanks Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back