• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

Frustrating Day!!!

Sunday bus services not good - start later and finish earlier!

Beautiful sunny day. Got the first bus out and got the bus driver to drop on the corner by Jameson's wood just after the Farm Shop between Holme and Thornham (the black throated thrush track!) arriving here about 10am. Walked along the footpath and only saw a party of long tailed tits, blue tit, great tit and a robin on route. Lots of skylarks in the field just before Thornham Bank and also good numbers of meadow pipits going through west. Sat on the bank with scope for a while trying to magic up a lapland bunting, but no joy (this field is sometimes good for laps). Lots of pinkfeet got up over Holme marsh as I walked the Thornham bank towards Holme reserves. 1 Marsh Harrier over Holme church.

Holme Bird Observatory - a single swallow 11.40 just behind obs. Seawatching: - 17 sanderling west, 1 guillimot on sea, several wigeon, teal and brent geese going by, but nothing else while I was there. Several of us standing outside the obs. had stunning views of 2 Short eared owls together that had come in off sea - there were almost over the broad water! (12.30pm). A massive starling flock of several thousand appeared over Holme church and snaked its way east and over Thornham Bank. A local birder Paul gave me a lift as far as the pay hut, where I then continued along the footpath towards Redwell Marsh. A MASSIVE flock of approx a couple of thousand starlings descended into the bushes and trees right in front of me at Redwell!!!! As I approached them they took off and landed again further along the track - as I walked along I realised that they had not noticed me and as I was walking under them, their chattering noise sounded awesome - suddenly they all took off and the noise of their take off was almost deafening!!! At the end of the track I crossed the road by the Hun bridge and walked past the village pond and up Beach Road to the crossroads and caught the 1.49pm bus east.

Could not decide where to get off, studied timetable, pager etc and initially was going to get off at Holkham and walk to Wells but realised sensibly by the time I had done that and walked all the way down that long road into Wells to catch bus I just would not have time before the last bus to do it properly. So I decided to opt for a chilled 2 hours seawatching at Cley. Re: my year list and West Runton today, have seen short toed lark and the Barred W, but would have liked to see the Richard's P and Lap bunting. Rang RBA and it sounded like they had not been seen for a while, so rather than trapse round an empty field decided to be sensible and chill at Cley. Got off the bus at Cley and walked along the West Bank. Beautiful and sunny and the views were beautiful - had a wheatear half way along the bank. The Richard's Pipit had now come up on the pager again!:C If I had had a car I would have gone at this point, but no more buses that was it!:C At coastguards stood with Julian, M.G. and E.M. for a seawatch. Not alot doing, wigeon, teal and brent geese was all I managed to see. Phone call from Connor - that oh so familiar excited but so serious voice 'Penny where are you' - I just knew this was something good:eek!: 'Rosy Coloured Starling at Choosely'!!!!!!!!!! BOTHER, BOTHER, BOTHER. So I had left the area I was in to watch a few ducks and geese at Cley, and now there was a RCS!!!

Julian was tempted and after hearing news of it again finally decided to go and gave me a lift as well - thank you Julian:t: So off we went - I can't actually remember what time we got to Choosely except that we had dipped badly by about 10 minutes when we arrived:-C Watched a few flocks of starlings going over, but nothing.....Julian then went home. Ray gave me a lift half way down the hill and I decided to walk to the bottom as I had to wait for the last bus at 6.15pm back to Lynn anyway from Titchwell. I felt very very sulky walking down that hill, knowing that the day had ended and having not seeing the RCS! and not being able to get to West Runton. It got worse - had a text message from M.G. to say he had a grey phalorope land on the sea (about 25 minutes after I had left) and he had another one later aswell! As Julian said - a day of being in the wrong place at the wrong time all afternoon!

Beautiful sunset and could see thousands of starling flocks descending into the reeds at Titchwell - its in there somewhere!!!!!;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

P.S. On holiday next Saturday for 5 days - can't be doing with this again, will have to hire a car I think!!!!!!

Last edited:
Spent half an hour looking at the sea at Winterton before work today;
Highlights: c20 Little Gulls (w), 2 Manx Shearwaters (w), one Arctic Skua (e), several Red-throated Divers and lots of wildfowl (w).
Not the Pom haul I was hoping for!
c30 Redwings went over Lingwood station at 8.30am.
Cheers

Couldn't help but note from the pager services the Sardinian Warbler at Winterton today, which morphed into a Subalpine Warbler and then finally into a less desired Dartford! Tricky bird I'm guessing?!
Cheers,
Jim.

With the excitement of yesterday centred on the stubble field at West Runton, with the Richards Pipit, Lapland Bunting and Short-toed Lark, the finding of the latter being a big surprise whilst we were searching for the Pipit and a great call by Giles, it was back to seawatching today.

A six hour watch produced three new birds for the patch this year with Great Northern Diver, Red-necked Grebe and Bar-tailed Godwit!

There was a good supporting cast of wildfowl with large numbers of Brents, smaller numbers of Wigeon, Teal & Common Scoter, plus a few Shoveler, Pintail, Gadwall, R B Mergs, Mallards & Shelduck.

Other species seen included a few Bonxies, Arctic Skua, Manx Shearwaters, Little Gulls, Kittiwakes, Arctic Terns, Curlew, Dunlin, Sanderling, Red-throated Divers, Great-crested Grebe, lots of mostly distant auks, Gannets and a Peregrine.

Regards

Simon

Couldn't help but note from the pager services the Sardinian Warbler at Winterton today, which morphed into a Subalpine Warbler and then finally into a less desired Dartford! Tricky bird I'm guessing?!
Cheers,
Jim.

I noticed that too... embarassingly I've still not seen a dartford in Norfolk, but have seen the other two... |<|

Great Vis Mig over house this morning.
Just counted 600+ redwing, 40+ Fieldfare and a few skylark all going (high) west over the house (just North of Norwich) in last 10mins alone!
Its going to be a busy week for eastern birds i think .. just a shame i can't go out birding until the weekend.

One of the most amazing birding spectacles I have ever witnessed was c5,000 Redwings, 250 Fieldfares and c50 Song Thrushes going west in wave after wave between dawn and 8.15am at Lingwood/Strumpshaw today. Most flocks were between 50 and 100, but some were bigger, up to c500. Really spectacular. My mate texted me from Cambridge at 8am saying there were lots of thrushes going over Cambridge, which makes the true numbers mind-boggling. Also, 3 Brambling and 1 Golden Plover.
Good luck those of you lucky enough to not be at work today!

Still a bit of movement going on. After the waves and waves of Redwing and Fieldfare first thing, a 25 minute stop at Taverham GP after the school run produced:
Redwing 124 SW/W, Fieldfare 38 SW/W, Skylark 13 SW, Meadow Pipit 28 SW/W, Siskin 2W, Redpoll sp. 1 SW, Chaffinch 13 SW.

Mike

Could be, but will they stop on the east coast, or am is everything going to filter rapidly inland and ultimately get found on the Scillies or Portland etc?

Its going to be a busy week for eastern birds i think .. just a shame i can't go out birding until the weekend.

Titchwell October 13th

Today's highlights

Richards pipit - 1 south over fresh marsh @ 09:45
Snow bunting - 7 west over reserve
Wheatear - 1 on saltmarsh
Hen harrier - female hunting over saltmarsh
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Velvet scoter - 6 offshore

Big numbers of birds moving. Loads of starlings, skylarks and pipits west throughout the day.

Paul

Has anyone spotted any otters on their travels or know of any good sites where they can be regularly seen?

thanks eco.

Great Vis Mig over house this morning.
Just counted 600+ redwing, 40+ Fieldfare and a few skylark all going (high) west over the house (just North of Norwich) in last 10mins alone!

It really was an amazing passage today - over house i ended up counting 900 to 1000 redwing in just 30 mins, also had 50+ Fieldfare and a Little Egret! (garden tick)
Then had to leave to go to work in Norwich - when i got into town still 100's going over the city!

amazing that when there is good Autumn viz mig a lot of stuff gets seen inland but not on the coast. Was in the area Cley to Warham today and although there were many Thrushes in the bushes, there was never a deluge. Redwings and Blackbirds apparent for most of the day 13 Fieldfare, 3 Brambling - the busiest area being the Whirligig area at Warham where there was a big flock of Reed Bunting - maybe up to 60. Also two separate Buzzards around Blakeney indicated there were some raptors on the move. Also had the seabirds at Cley this morning, some larks/finches/pipits flying in off but no Thrushes maybe they come in extremely high on the coast, maybe we should have been looking up!

Last edited:
West Runton was excellent again today, good views of the Short Toed Lark on the ground, luckily in one of the wider furrows. The pipit flew over a couple of times and perched for a while on a weed head. Some northern chaps had had it right in the open and photgraphed it. Even the barred warbler put in an appearance! I think if people hadn't parked so close to the first building it might have even fed out in the open !!

amazing that when there is good Autumn viz mig a lot of stuff gets seen inland but not on the coast. Was in the area Cley to Warham today and although there were many Thrushes in the bushes, there was never a deluge. Redwings and Blackbirds apparent for most of the day 13 Fieldfare, 3 Brambling - the busiest area being the Whirligig area at Warham where there was a big flock of Reed Bunting - maybe up to 60. Also two separate Buzzards around Blakeney indicated there were some raptors on the move. Also had the seabirds at Cley this morning, some larks/finches/pipits flying in off but no Thrushes maybe they come in extremely high on the coast, maybe we should have been looking up!
Similar result on the east coast this morning walking up from Horsey Gap to Waxham and back with just a handful of redwing, fieldfare and brambling. No sign of the hoped-for YBW (or anything else of note) and a brief wander north from Sea Palling proved equally uneventful. With just about everywhere else scoring with some good birds, Norfolk's turn can't be too far away so just keep looking!

I wonder if they had all gone over the coast last night? They were over Cambs and Beds in big numbers by 8am and I suspect the birds going over Strumpshaw etc may have been the tail end of the movement. It was awesome. Did you see somebody had almost 30K over Sandy, Beds? Amazing!

The final count from The Lodge in Sandy was 32,988 Redwings by dusk...thats just phenominal!

I was at school and had over 100 go over in two big flocks mid afternoon, but had no idea a huge movement was taking place!

Has anyone spotted any otters on their travels or know of any good sites where they can be regularly seen?

thanks eco.

Strumpshaw Fen is one of the best sites, they are regularly seen from the reception hide. Last year my housemate photographed one on the Wensum just west of Norwich, and another person I know saw one from the bridge near the Playhouse in Norwich. Over the summer Fairhaven Gardens run canoe trips looking for Otters, which would probably be quite good fun if you haven't seen one by then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back