• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (39 Viewers)

On my morning dog walk around Shotesham yesterday, I heard and saw an interesting Chiffchaff, with a very "level" call note and an interesting "odd" song. I managed to get a recording this morning, including some very clear song, which to my ear sounds identical to the recording of Sibe Chiff song on the "Sound Approach" CD (disc 2 track 12). It is a very clean brown bird, but I haven't yet managed to get a detailed plumage description.

If anyone is interested in hunting it down, park near the ford on Hollow Lane (close to the pub "The Globe") - the bird has been along the hedgerows along the edge of the common, both sides of the lane.

Must go to work now!

Andy

If you see/hear the bird Wednesday morning could you post again, I have the day free and would go and have a look around.

Cheers,
James

Penny I think your bird was early Aug, then the kelling bird was late august. I think they had one over in the east but on very private land, where you get shot for trespassing !! and that's been it. worst autumn for 10 years.

Had a look at Corton this afternoon, pished in the yellow browed nicely but no sign of the pallas's. the tit flock was pretty fast moving and it and the warbler disappeared fairly quickly. super area, too much cover away from the public footpath me thinks, birds could get lost very easily

Anyone know anything about the wells radde's ? Might have a look tomorrow

Simon/Sacha/Simeon - I noticed similar behaviour with Thrushes here this afternoon. Save for a single grounded Fieldfare the only Thrushes noted 'on the ground' were many Blackbirds and 1 Song Thrush. However, there was no sign this afternoon of Thrushes overhead until close to dusk when Redwings and Fieldfare were seen passing inland.

I flushed a newly arrived Woodcock from almost underfoot whilst along the cliffs and a single Snow Bunting flew overhead. Three Twite feeding along the grassy clifftop path were a bit of a surprise and a welcome addition to the yearlist. ..

James

Last edited:
Not as much movement over Titchwell this morning with the clear conditions plus everything is very high.
45 mins produced 7 crossbill west (2@07:55, 5@08:12), 1 redpoll sp, 1 grey wag, 2 grey heron and 3 rook. Very few thrushes moving yet compared to yesterday.

Paul

A single Snow Bunting flew south over Buckenham Marshes at 7.30 this morning with a handful of Skylarks. Also at least 5 Marsh Harriers and 2 Stonechats still. Apparently there has been 2 Greenland White-fronts down here recently and a Great Grey Shrike at Strumpshaw.

Penny, the change in clocks means you can get more birding in before work!!

Cheers

No sign of the Sibe Chiff this morning in Shotesham between 0700 and 0800.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for the update.

Still small flocks (up to 22) of Redwing flying over Whitlingham today without stopping. 10+ Wigeon are back in the conservation area, with what looked like a Teal x Wigeon hybrid, unfortunately I couldn't get a very good look at it as the light was directly behind.

Strumpshaw Fen is one of the best sites, they are regularly seen from the reception hide. Last year my housemate photographed one on the Wensum just west of Norwich, and another person I know saw one from the bridge near the Playhouse in Norwich. Over the summer Fairhaven Gardens run canoe trips looking for Otters, which would probably be quite good fun if you haven't seen one by then!

Good call fella, visited Strumpshaw fen the weekend before last and after sitting it out for an hour or so spotted 4 otters playing right infront of reception hide:t:

Sibe Chiff back again this morning in Shotesham, singing well in the sunshine. If anyone wants to have a go for the bird, directions as follows. Leave Norwich south on the minor road through Caistor St Edmund and Stoke Holy Cross and fork left after Stoke church to Shotesham. In the village, there is a small lane "Hollow Lane" which cuts right across the common. Park around here wherever suitable. Go along Hollow Lane, cross the ford/footbridge and the bird has been mostly around the houses/gardens/thick hedge fringing the southwest edge of the common. If it's in the gardens there, PLEEASE don't upset the neighbours!

Cheers

Andy

I saw and heard the sibe chiffchaff today, very interesting indeed. Dave Farrow was recording it when we arrived. Can be quite elusive but calling fairly frequently and likes to sing from the tall tree in the garden of the first white house on your right after teh ford. Sounds a bit like a more jumbled quicker common chiffchaff and the call is distinctively different when you get you ear in.

Sibe chiffy

I saw and heard the sibe chiffchaff today, very interesting indeed. Dave Farrow was recording it when we arrived. Can be quite elusive but calling fairly frequently and likes to sing from the tall tree in the garden of the first white house on your right after teh ford. Sounds a bit like a more jumbled quicker common chiffchaff and the call is distinctively different when you get you ear in.

Thanks Stu
I spent my lunchtime seeking out this bird. Elusive and calling irregularly, nosiy goldfinches a distraction, until 1.35pm when the bird call psee ten times or so from the bush west of the gate, on the meadow / common just past the white house.

Moving up to gate the bird showed itself (!) and had a lack of green on crown and mantle, warm buff supercillium etc.

Dave Farrow and Andy Musgrove's recordings should help confirm this hard to precisely identify type of chiffchaff. (UK400 split, recent BBRC report on tristis)

Anyone know anything about the American Golden Plover at Cley this morning? It was reported quite early but I haven't heard anything else since...

Anyone know anything about the American Golden Plover at Cley this morning? It was reported quite early but I haven't heard anything else since...

Was seen at c8.15 but then flew off with Golden Plovers and no further reports since. Not sure which way it went but if it went into Blakeney Harbour area guess it could be pushed off back to Cley on the high tide.....

Regards

Simon

Titchwell October 29th

Today's highlights

Tree sparrow - 6 west over carpark
Hen harrier - ringtail around reserve all day
Golden plover - 1000 on fresh marsh all day
Woodcock - 1 over brackish marsh
Greenshank - 1 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 1 on brackish marsh
Chinese water deer - 2 feeding on saltmarsh all afternoon

Paul

Missed the calling Siderian Chiff by 10mins this afternoon, hung around the area but it was rather late in the day so already a long shot..

The lady who's garden contains the secretive bird seemed remarkably tolerant to all the attention focused up her driveway, can't say I would have been so obliging myself being the grouchy git that I am...

Two nice Little Owls and a few fly over Redwings on the common made the white knuckle ride of a lift from local birder made the trip worthwhile, also nice to see the old house in the village I helped restore while studying with the CITB for my first job after leaving school!!!!

M

Quiet today, Happisburgh was full of common stuff but nothing to get the pulse racing. Onto Waxham, a bash around in the cover behind the church revealed the back end of a flushed owl, which I then refound only for it to do the same! Despite poor views, the pale underwing and advice from Tim turned this into a probable Long eared Owl.
Finished at Horsey, beautiful red sunset, Pinks coming to roost. Of note was a Kestrel hunting by moonlight around the mill; it appeared to be taking insects in flight. Never seen Kestrels do this before, and to be honest I could only make out a silohuette of the bird due to the darkness! Why was it hunting so late? A migrant? This got me thinking....Red Footed Falcon?
Cheers,
Jim.

Sibe Chiff again Shotesham Friday morning. Initially in the garden of the white house, later moved off southweastwards along the hedge line of the common. Great scope views this morning (although never stayed still enough to contemplate digiscoping!) No hint of green/yellow at all. Nice long supercilium. Little hint of a wingbar except when viewed from behind, when quite a prominent suggestion of one.

Cheers

Andy

Quiet today, Happisburgh was full of common stuff but nothing to get the pulse racing. Onto Waxham, a bash around in the cover behind the church revealed the back end of a flushed owl, which I then refound only for it to do the same! Despite poor views, the pale underwing and advice from Tim turned this into a probable Long eared Owl.
Finished at Horsey, beautiful red sunset, Pinks coming to roost. Of note was a Kestrel hunting by moonlight around the mill; it appeared to be taking insects in flight. Never seen Kestrels do this before, and to be honest I could only make out a silohuette of the bird due to the darkness! Why was it hunting so late? A migrant? This got me thinking....Red Footed Falcon?
Cheers,
Jim.

Eleonora's?:eek!:

Titchwell October 30th

Today's highlights

Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Snow bunting - 33 on beach
Hen harrier - ringtail at roost
Ruff - 31 on fresh marsh
Pintail - 103 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 3000 roosting on fresh marsh
Whimbrel - 2 late birds on fresh marsh