• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Query on database photo of Sooty Shearwater (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
Phuu, I was begining to think that might have had a stroke or something
when Tim delivered his answer 8-P

JanJ

thanks everyone for the clarification. I will correct my pictures names to white-chinned Petrel.

Once again thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Alejandro

Hi Guys,

Agree with the Sooty Shearwater, but why is the Procellaria not a Black Petrel?
I'd just like to know the features used in making this ID. We recently had our (Queenslands) first Westland Petrel and apparently the bill-tip is the diagnostic-feature.
See http://www.aviceda.org/abid/birdimages.php?action=birdimage&bid=714&fid=56&p=2&pagesize=1

Tom

Tom

BirdsPeru said:
thanks everyone for the clarification. I will correct my pictures names to white-chinned Petrel.

Once again thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Alejandro

Tom Tarrant said:
Agree with the Sooty Shearwater, but why is the Procellaria not a Black Petrel?
I'd just like to know the features used in making this ID. We recently had our (Queenslands) first Westland Petrel and apparently the bill-tip is the diagnostic-feature.
Hi Tom,

Black (Parkinson's) Petrel is another Procellaria with a dark-tipped bill (which is also less robust than that of the larger Procellaria), much like a Flesh-footed Shearwater-sized version of a Westland Petrel. White-chinned Petrel is a large Westland Petrel-sized Procellaria, but lacks the dark tip to the bill. As others have noted, the white chin in quite often undetectable or barely detectable in the field. It has been awhile since I've seen any numbers of these Procellaria, but I assume the identification criteria hasn't changed that much.

Chris

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to do some pelagics off New Zealand towards the end of last year (Kaikoura and Hauraki Gulf) and here are a selection of photos which hopefully help illustrate the bill pattern of the three similar species. As Tim has mentioned the bill pattern can be quite variable and even at close range on a bobbing boat it can be very hard to see the white on the chin of White-Chinned - in fact on one bird it was only after I had processed the image in photoshop that the white chin became obvious. (the wonders of digital photography :t: )
1: Black Petrel
2&3: Westland Petrel
4&5 White-chinned Petrel

Attachments

• BlackPetrel.jpg
    BlackPetrel.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 164
  • WestlandPetrel2.jpg
    WestlandPetrel2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 166
  • WestlandPetrel.jpg
    WestlandPetrel.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 160
  • WhitechinnedPetrel2.jpg
    WhitechinnedPetrel2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 179
  • WhitechinnedPetrel.jpg
    WhitechinnedPetrel.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I can't remember to be honest Jane, but here's a couple of flight shots, 1st is Black Petrel and 2nd is White-chinned.

Attachments

• BlackPetrel2.jpg
    BlackPetrel2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 181
  • WhitechinnedPetrel3.jpg
    WhitechinnedPetrel3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 172
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back