• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest 8x40 focus speed? (1 Viewer)

Matt,

focus speed of the 8x40 Conquest is a bit slower than e.g. 8x42 Victory but there´s nothing to be worried about. I measured about 630 ° from one stop to the other.

Steve

Matt,

focus speed of the 8x40 Conquest is a bit slower than e.g. 8x42 Victory but there´s nothing to be worried about. I measured about 630 ° from one stop to the other.

Steve

Thanks for the reply, Steve

I seem to recall someone mentioning they were a little slower but couldn't remember where!! Slow focus speeds seem to annoy me more than any other issue with bins, a shame as there are some great bins out there but unfortunately have very slow geared focusing (Swift 8x44 roof, Opticron HR WP 8x42 and Hawke Frontier etc)

Matt

I seem to recall someone mentioning they were a little slower but couldn't remember where!! Slow focus speeds seem to annoy me more than any other issue with bins, a shame as there are some great bins out there but unfortunately have very slow geared focusing (Swift 8x44 roof, Opticron HR WP 8x42 and Hawke Frontier etc)

Matt
Have you tried the Nikon HGL Matt? From my brief tests of the 8x32 I seem to recall that they were just about the sweetest focusing binoculars I have tried.

Ron

Matt

Slow focus speeds annoy me too, Matt. I've had 8x40 Zeiss Conquests for a few months and I've gotten used to them to some extend but they still sometimes annoy me to no end. Especially, when I miss a warbler or other fast moving bird. It is a real shame because these binos have great optics. Are smooth fast focuses that hard to make or do some people really prefer them?

Well, the 8x40 Conquest I tried had smooth focus. Slower than the Victories doesn´t mean the Conquest is slow in general because the Victory has pretty fast focus. BTW, if focus speed is measured from 10 m to infinity I didn´t notice much of a difference between most modern roof binoculars. The difference is more noticable at very close distances. I don´t watch birds very often at distances closer than 10m. For me the shape of the focus wheel is very important, if not more important than only speed, as well as turning moment of the focusser.

Steve

Last edited:
Have you tried the Nikon HGL Matt? From my brief tests of the 8x32 I seem to recall that they were just about the sweetest focusing binoculars I have tried.

Ron

They are fast indeed! My LX L's (USA version of the HG L) go from close focus to infinity in little more than a 1/2 turn of the focus wheel. They are exceptionally smooth focusing too and they stay focused when and where you stop.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back