• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bee in flight...crit welcome (1 Viewer)

matthompson

Just thought I'd throw this up to see what folks thought !? It took quite a few to get the bee within focus. F11 / 1/1000 @ 1600iso - Its a little noisey because of the high iso but I still think its a nice pic.

Cheers
Mat

Attachments

• bee_flight_low.jpg
    bee_flight_low.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 174
Just thought I'd throw this up to see what folks thought !? It took quite a few to get the bee within focus. F11 / 1/1000 @ 1600iso - Its a little noisey because of the high iso but I still think its a nice pic.

Cheers
Mat

Hi Matt,

I also think it is a nice Pic,a darned good shot,and well done.
John

Matt, I really like this. I'm not good at critiqueing but will tell you why I like it:
colors - lovely on the flowers and the bee.
size - I like how the flowers allow one to "see" the smallness of the bee.
and you must have great patience to have caught this one.

It's a brilliant capture for certain, very well done. Doesn't mean it can't be improved though.
Have lightened up the exposure a bit and applied some sharpening, then finished it off with a little dose of neat image.

See what you think.
Adam

Attachments

• bee_flight_low_edited001.jpg
    bee_flight_low_edited001.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hi guys

Many thanks for the nice comments folks.

Jaff - I like the post work on the pic. I'm surprised you pulled more detail out of the bee without things getting noisey. Do you work in PS...whats neat image, a plugin ? If so care to post the mod settings...or I can send/post the full res image !?

Mat

Didn't do anything fancy. I work in Elements 5.0 and from there I just lightened the shadows, darkened the highlights as well so the lighting over the pic is much more even and then a little bit of contrast as well. Sorry I can't remember the exact amounts used (try sort of 5% for each). Unsharp mask was done on about 100% at 0.7 pixels.

If you do a web search on Neat Image you should find your way to the free download, which can also be used as a plugin for photoshop (it's an independent program) so there'll be instructions on how to do that somewhere. One thing though, the free downloaded version only works on images of about 1000x1000 pixels or less (web images basically). For a more advanced version that works on full size images you have to pay for it. There are other programs that do the same job like Noise Ninja but I've gotten used to Neat Image and I'm happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Here's my effort. I've given it a quick adjust in Photofiltre (free), brightening it and selectively sharpening to avoid any noise. No noise reduction.

Very nice shot btw.

Last edited:
It's beautiful Mat. I'm not a photographer, but I am a beekeeper, and you managed to capture her approach well. What is the flower she is working?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back