• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketches from Andrew Ellis (1 Viewer)

When I first looked at these the other day my first reaction, outside of being bowled over by their quality, was that I preferred the first. It seemed more dynamic as an abstract compostion. There was something I liked about that big wave in the middle. But I soon came to agree with everyone else. The second one really fits together better and allows a clear path between birds.

And then there are those sketches. Awfully good as well. All are a great pleasure to look at.

love the sketches, it helps me see how you get to the painting...the second one is my choice too, think of the bird wings as arrows shooting us into the rest of the comp. the down wings point us out, the open wings point us in.

Studies geeze...:eek!:

Both the drawings and seascapes are mind-blowingly good. One thing that's obvious to with these superb skuas is your experience and familiarity with all good things falcon-like!
When I feast my envious eyes on this kind of work Im struggling to find superlatives.

Russ

Stunning Skuas Andrew, the first skua works a little better for me. I would think about using the line of the sea to help funnel the viewer towards the terns, soon to be the victim's! The developed piece is sure to be a winner by your hand...

The last one for me Andy but they are both great! Could you give me a hint when you are throwing your old sketch books out so I can pose as a bin man!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back