• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carlin Howe, Guisborough and Great Grey Shrike (1 Viewer)

IanF

Not really much of a birding trip really - a visit to a rubbish dump ! - well the field opposite actually, but it produced a lifer for me.

A Great Grey Shrike had been seen there over the last few days, reported on Birdcall, so I had a ride over there as it's only a few miles away. The bird was showing well perched a top the highest bushes, repeatedly diving into the scrubland and changing perches, but it never came closer than 75 yards. I managed some reasonable digiscope shots, bit it would have been nicer to see it a little closer.

Great Grey Shrike

Other birds about included Pheasant, Moorhen, Reed Bunting, Cahaffinch, Blackbird, Blue and Great Tit.

If anyone up this way wants to see it, PM me and I'll give directions as I'd never have found it if I hadn't spotted a couple with scopes off the road.

You may say it would have been nicer to see it a little closer, but I think what you have managed to reproduce for us via the magic of digiscoping shows you were quite close enough. It's a lovely picture Ian, and a bird I have never seen. You lucky thing!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back