• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pagham Harbour 4/2/06 (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

In a vain attempt to follow Joanne's excellent reports from Cuckmere Haven, and because the Company's computer systems are down, here is a report from yesterday at Pagham Harbour...

I arrived at Pagham harbour yesterday at around 09:30 via Chichester Station and a five mile cycle ride. Even though the legs were struggling from the after-effects of playing 90 minutes football the day before (and I am of a venerable age), the cycle ride afforded views of several passerines, including Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Great Tit and Blue Tit. Cycling through country lanes in spring is a great way to see birds.
The weather was a bit of a disappointment after Saturday, which had been one of those marvellous, sunny, early spring days in the South East; it was somewhat cloudy and I was beginning to wonder whether I had done the right thing to bring the high powered lens for my scope. Fortunately it brightened up in the afternoon and the scope was fine.
After locking my bike up, I set out for Church Norton by going South from the Reserve Centre down the perimeter path. There was a Dunnock offering its song. Being something of a musician, I always enjoy listening to the Dunnock's song, as it amazes me how something so aurally attractive can be made from a tune that has such a lack of tonal variety!
First stop was the mere over the road. On show were many Wigeon, Teal, Lapwing, Canada Geese, Shovler, Shelduck, Mallard, Black-Headed Gull and a pair of Mute Swans.
The tide was not due in until about 13:30, so I had a good couple of hours to observe the waders on the empty harbour. This had been my main reason for choosing my day trip to Pagham, to improve my observation skills of waders. Before long I was able to identify good numbers of Common Redshank, Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Grey Plover, Curlew, Ringed Plover, Cormorant, Little Egret, a pair of Snipe and a solitary Bar-Tailed Godwit. Gulls were also showing in good numbers, with particularly high numbers of Common Gull. Herring Gull and Great Black-Backed Gull were more scarce.
I then went for a seawatch and I have to say I drew a blank, apart from several Turnstones on the beach living up to their name. I had hoped for either a Diver or a Scoter, but no such luck. There had been a Red Throated Diver reported earlier in the day, but it had evidently moved off. Walking back towards Church Norton, I then spied a lone duck which turned out to be a female Goldeneye. A first for me outside of Scotland.
I then had one of those birding moments. On Friday I had read a post about a Spotted Redshank on Taymar Lakes in Devon, and it started a train of thought which ended with "It's about time I added one of those to my list", so I had swatted up the id on my Collins on the way down. You can guess the rest, there one was, bold as brass and it gave me such good views that in the end I moved off to end the relationship, rather than the panicky call and flapping of wings that usually end my encounters with the Redshank family!
The tide was now coming in earnest, so it was time to head back to the Reserve Centre. On the way I managed to id a pair of female Gadwall together, could not see any males. There were also large numbers of Pintail. Anyone who wants good views of Pintail should head for Pagham Harbour. Also seen on the way back were Stonechat and Kingfisher.
I just had time for a look across the road at the pool and there was noting of great consequence apart from a pair of Snipe and a flock of Brent Geese.
All in all, a great day, no Raptors at all, but a Spotted Redshank and a Goldeneye to make up for it.
Also seen:=
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Long Tail Tit
House Sparrow
Wren
Little Grebe
Grey Heron
Pied Wagtail
Pheasant
Moorhen
Coot
Feral Pigeon
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Robin
Blackbird
Starling

52 Species

Hi Paul

Thanks for the comps. :bounce: Good report from you too. :t: Congratulations on the spotted redshank and the goldeneye, two good ones. o:) Sounds like a great day. I'm off to the woods now.

Joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back