• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Me & My Photo's (1 Viewer)

1birdylady

Hi Everyone
I keep getting asked about my photo's so here's the scoop. I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We have the Gulf of Mexico, Beaches, Rivers, Marshes, Mudflats, Bayous, Harbors, and several near by Islands. Much is accessible by car. I had use 35 mm but just couldn't get any shots so I went digital. I got a Sony Mavica with 10x zoom that took great shots but it was only 1/2 pixel and only has a viewing screen and no eye piece which is hard to see in sunlight. I patiently waited and was finally able to get a Canon Pro90 IS which I adore. It has a 7 to 70mm lense and 2x or 4x digital zoom. I have had no luck using the 4x zoom. The picture just seem not quite clear. I have only gotten 1 good pic using it. The Adult Yellow-crowned Night-Heron which I placed in the Gallery. I was only about 50 feet away across the bayou. I have no skill as far as photography goes. I know nothing about cameras. I just get as close as I can. I take a picture, then slowly take a few steps closer. I keep doing this untill I get the pic I want or the bird flies away. We also do this in the boat. We get as close as we think we can and cut the engine and drift closer. I have a blind at home and just made a portable one from pvc pipe to take to out in the field like to the Harbors , Islands, and ponds. Hope this answers everyone questions.

Hi Donna. I would think that your 4x is a digitally enhanced zoom and most pics deteriorate in quality when using the digital zoom. I have used the low end of the digital zoom with some success but it quickly goes south if I use the upper levels of the digital zoom.

Hi Donna,

I don't use my Digital Zoom, either. And we share the same picture taking technique. I get as close to the bird as I can and then I get a little closer. Whatever, you're getting great results. I enjoy your pics. Thanks for sharing.

Hi I have the CanonPro90IS and it has a super x10 optical zoom but dont't use the x2 or x4 digital zoom as the lack of pixels (2.6) does not give reasonable satisfactory results. For an example of what thias cam will do in lowlight at over 250 yards see the fox image I posted a little earlier on the 'Your birding day section'

1/160
iso 100
wb set to cloudy
x10 optical zoom
image stabiliser on

Best I could do with it I'm afraid.

Bet you cant find the sleepy pintails in the pintail pick!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back