• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus 300mm f4 (1 Viewer)

Ron, let me tell you about the two situations where I have really loved having a zoom: Safari in South Africa and a trip to Galapagos. In both cases, you could go from a distant flying bird to something almost too close for 100 mm in a split second. Probably half of my pictures from Galapagos were at less than 200 mm.

Niels
Having had the privilege to experience similar situations (yet other destinations), I have learned to bring two setups.
One setup with a short-medium telezoom (like the 50-200 SWD) for mammals and the real close encounters with birds.
One with a fixed focal length super telephoto mainly for bird photography. If I were to select one length only, I would go for ~500mm. On the first trip I brought my TLAPO804 480mm refractor scope, it was close to perfect. Next trip I brought the 300mm/2.8 lens and found myself using it with the EC14 in >80% of the situations. Last trip I brought a SW80ED 600mm refractor scope and Canon 400mm/5.6. Scope was too much, so I fell back using the Canon 400mm/5,6 in most birding situations.

Yes, I can imagine in the Galapagos where many of the targets are unafraid of humans, a zoom would have advantages, but also any time when you might want more flexibility and maybe you have limited time or opportunity, like when you travel to a place you may not get a chance to visit again, and you find yourself in situations like Niels described. I know zooms are a popular choice for wildlife photographers on African safari. My first birding lens was a Nikon 200-400mm zoom, but I often stalk small birds and I found I needed to use a teleconverter most of the time on the zoom, and I eventually moved to a 500mm prime which worked better for me both with and without a teleconverter.

As a direct answer to Ron's question, I've only been out with the new lens 3 times, but I know from my past experience with other lenses that I will rarely find myself too close to birds, especially small birds. Some people appreciate the option to zoom out to facilitate target acquisition, then zoom back in, and I think a zoom does indeed help with that. But I am really finding the EE-1 sight helps a lot when I have seconds to frantically get on a small bird that has suddenly appeared, or moved (I now use the EE-1 on my Nikon rig too, if I'm not using a flash). I think the advantage of a zoom super telephoto is proportional to how often one might want to (a) photograph larger birds/animals, (b) photograph non-animal subjects e.g., flowers or landscape perspectives. I'm willing to compromise on these applications in order to perhaps get a little bit more image quality for birds.

Dave

It is indeed possible to get great detail with the combo, but I think that particular photo looks over sharpened.

Here's one of mine with no post processing (pretty sure, except a crop)
https://flic.kr/p/GtCyvT

I highly recommend them! (A lot of money, though)

Graeme,
What a fantastic bird and a wonderful photo! Someday I will visit the tropics for the first time. Until then I will keep practicing my skills with the less diverse but still interesting assortment of species in the North American temperate zone.

Regarding the 300mm with the MC-14 teleconverter, I concur that the image quality is excellent. And I know what you mean about an "over-sharpened" feel on bird images coming out of my E-M1... I am often adding no sharpening or almost none, and I'm even starting to think about turning down the in-camera sharpening one notch (right now it is set at 0).

Dave

Thanks Dave.
I haven't actually had any complaints about the out-of-camera images looking over-sharpened, though I have dialled back pretty much any processing the camera does itself (eg turning off noise reduction, using the Natural setting etc).

What I do find is there's no need to add any sharpening in post-production (it actually degrades quality), which used to be useful with my cheaper zoom lens.

Bird migration is in full swing here in Toronto Canada. Below is a my most recent image, but you can check my flickr account for more examples.

Attachments

• 26906414241_8ab7fcc2f9_h.jpg
    26906414241_8ab7fcc2f9_h.jpg
    878.2 KB · Views: 310
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back