• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus OMD EM1 Mkii (1 Viewer)

tribsa

Not long had the EM1 Mk2 and the Panasonic 100-400mm Lens, after having the Mk1 Em1 version i was considering going back to the weighty Canon or Nikon SLRs, i have now taken several shots with the new camera and quite pleased with the results.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Bluethroat62 resize.jpg
    Bluethroat62 resize.jpg
    882.5 KB · Views: 283
  • Bluethroat66 resize.jpg
    Bluethroat66 resize.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Those are two nicely focused images! I probably would have dialed the sharpening back a little but that is my taste more than anything.

Niels

What aperture did you use? I'm asking because it looks like only part of the bird was in focus. I would have personally taken the photo with a bit deeper DOF.

This aside, I'm jealous of the lens! It's on my Xmas wish list :) I'm curious about your experience using it.

What aperture did you use? I'm asking because it looks like only part of the bird was in focus. I would have personally taken the photo with a bit deeper DOF.

This aside, I'm jealous of the lens! It's on my Xmas wish list :) I'm curious about your experience using it.[/

Both taken at 2000th second at F6.3 and ISO 640

That's a beautiful bird, photos have great color and contrast.

In these types of photos I use single/center point AF and focus on the bird's eye. In both photos the focus plane is a bit off, specially in the second one. DOF is probably not more than 3-4 cm in this case (assuming 5 meter to the subject) so finding the exact focus point is crucial. Don't trust the camera's focus point selection in cases with very shallow DOF.

f6.3 is already on the limit of diffraction on a MFT system so stopping down might not be a good idea and bokeh will not be as soft. One (1) extra cm of DOF will be gained at f/8 though. Most often, I would try to stay att max aperture.

Since the bird seems pretty stationary, by using a slower shutter speed 1/1000 s or even 1/500 you could get even less noise at a lower ISO setting. And even 1/1000 s might be fast enough for freezing movement. But it depends on the situation of course.

Just my 50 cents of..:smoke:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back