• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

not garden related...but pretty close (at work)

We have had breeding Pied Wagtails for years now, however when leaving work this evening the comotion in and around the car park was outstanding..... upto 2 dozen mixed flock of Pied Wagtails and Grey Wagtails (I presume the local Pied family and summer juveniles) along with passing birds, however great numbers of Grey Wagtails in with them of at least 6 individuals.

Wished I could have stayed abit longer to watch , however after a 12 hour shift and then some.......

Last edited:
Dreary and wet here again, but out of the upstairs window I caught sight of a bird which wasn't quite right and noticeably smaller than the Goldfinches around. It was very restless and clearly a LBJ. I raced downstairs for the bins and after primary projection checking, restless activity and regular tail flicking, at last,a Chiffchaff for the garden list! Species no.41, in just under 4 years.

[/QUOTE]All good advice, but seriously,who has time to clean water baths every day?[/QUOTE]

All it needs is to empty the container in evening and rinse out; leave empty overnight so it can dry out then refill next morning; disinfect at weekend when more time is available. Doesn't take long, and can really affect the health of bird populations, which is what we're all about really. Not much point in attracting them to the garden if we make them sick by doing so!

Dreary and wet here again, but out of the upstairs window I caught sight of a bird which wasn't quite right and noticeably smaller than the Goldfinches around. It was very restless and clearly a LBJ. I raced downstairs for the bins and after primary projection checking, restless activity and regular tail flicking, at last,a Chiffchaff for the garden list! Species no.41, in just under 4 years.

i bet you are well chaffed bongo :t:

very nice :t: and very well done

Even though I have not been posting I still catch up when I can. Just had an operation on my knee and I thought while i was at home recovering I would get some great viewings of the birds coming and going. It must have been the quietest week ever. Did not have to top the feeders up at all, very unusual.

Had a few Coal Tits and Chaffinches and then the Goldfinches morning and evening but only a few. I don't recollect it being that quiet before.
Maybe it was the strange weather we have just had.

I like the picture of the Goldcrest very much.

All good advice, but seriously,who has time to clean water baths every day?[/QUOTE]

All it needs is to empty the container in evening and rinse out; leave empty overnight so it can dry out then refill next morning; disinfect at weekend when more time is available. Doesn't take long, and can really affect the health of bird populations, which is what we're all about really. Not much point in attracting them to the garden if we make them sick by doing so![/QUOTE]

HOMEWORK FOR TONIGHT BONGO IS 500 LINES

"I WILL MAKE TIME TO CLEAN WATER BATHS EVERY DAY"

make sure this is done for 9 am tomorrow morning. :-O

A small roaming flock of 5 Long TTs visited on Saturday morning and spent 30 minutes or so in the feeder tree until they were seen off by the resident Blue tits.

HOMEWORK FOR TONIGHT BONGO IS 500 LINES

"I WILL MAKE TIME TO CLEAN WATER BATHS EVERY DAY"

make sure this is done for 9 am tomorrow morning. :-O

Yes, Dad:t: Although it may jeopordise cleaning the nijer feeder.

very nice :t: and very well done

Cheers 'nana

A small roaming flock of 5 Long TTs visited on Saturday morning and spent 30 minutes or so in the feeder tree until they were seen off by the resident Blue tits.

Very nice, not seen a LTT in the garden for a while now

funny you should mention that banana,i had 5 LTT again yesterday,the same ones that always visit,trouble is,they peck at the fat balls as usual,then off they go,not to be seen until a few days later.

Busy weekend up here, the hordes of Goldfinch (with a sprinkling of Greenfinch) have completely cleaned me out of sunflower hearts! I'm going to start buying bulk from now on, especially if I'm going to be feeding up to 40+ Goldfinch, sick of paying £2 (plus) per kilo!!! The local male Sparrowhawk had some success at the weekend too (catching a collard dove), which was simply amazing to watch!

13 goldfinch,6 greenfinch at the feeders,10 collard doves ground feeding,1 robin,4 coal tits,and large amount of sparrows at the fat balls.

We still hear the Goldfinches 'tinkling' too. The hot weather puts them in singing mode. Today is a little more windy so they are quiet. o:)

The Blackies are starting to make a reappearance though so that is is good after they have looked so scruffy for so long....over the nesting period

Regards
Kathy
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back