• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

Manic in the Garden!! Loads house sparrows, and starlings! As this Is the first day I will
Start feeding fat balls as its getting colder..going to spend bit of time today garden birding..I will report back later on!

Great white egret over today. Whooper swans further down the river so hoping they fly on up soon.

Will have to start feeding soon too - we're reckoning on a table with seed to see if the linnet will come in

Birds 'coming back' is the greatest feeling, great stories everyone!

Latest news: Long-tailed tits for first time in months last week, a flock of 7. Also two window ticks this week: Pied Wagtail and Redshank. Returning from class in the driving rain at almost 6pm, a lone juvenile Siskin on the peanuts, what a trooper.

4 red kites soaring together, a flock of swallows and house martins and a sky train of geese . Lovely evening's birding.

Just watching 30 goldfinches at the feeders different from the pallid harrier from the other day, hence not in the garden, going to see 2 SE owls tonight, hopefully.

I haven't been getting so many house sparrows, lately--all summer, I was getting massive clouds of them, descending upon my feeder and scouring it clean. Since the autumn chill set in, I've been averaging five or six individuals per day: quite a decrease! On the upside, I've had northern flickers round my balcony almost every day, this week. They seem a bit wary of the feeder, so far. They are obviously interested, and occasionally sneak a suet ball, but mostly, they just stand there and stare at it. I'm hoping they'll become bolder, as the weather gets colder.

This morning, so far, I've had one VERY bold house sparrow (I was actually sitting on the balcony, when it showed up, and it hopped all over my feet, ate lots of food, and sang me a little song, before it left.) I also had one not-so-bold flicker, which sat on the balcony above mine and gazed at me balefully. It didn't seem to want to come down, as long as I was there.

I want more flickers to come; those are lovely. I've never managed to get a close-up shot of one.

Attachments

• sparrow_arses.jpg
    sparrow_arses.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 30
  • hopping_sparrows.jpg
    hopping_sparrows.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 29
  • neighbour_balcony_flickers.jpg
    neighbour_balcony_flickers.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 33
Well it was a surprise, as never seen them locally apart from about 3 miles away..then 1 was in the garden! Bird number 20! Which is pretty good considering my garden is in a very urban area!

Also been getting through Fat balls like know bodys business ! The starlings empty a feeder full in half day! The bucket 50 I brought wont last very long...Might buy a 150 bucket! What does e wry one else do, in terms buying Fat Balls in bulk? Or do you just do the 50 buckets from places like pets at home, Aldi, Wilksons ectt??

Last edited:
I haven't been getting so many house sparrows, lately--all summer, I was getting massive clouds of them, descending upon my feeder and scouring it clean. Since the autumn chill set in, I've been averaging five or six individuals per day: quite a decrease! On the upside, I've had northern flickers round my balcony almost every day, this week. They seem a bit wary of the feeder, so far. They are obviously interested, and occasionally sneak a suet ball, but mostly, they just stand there and stare at it. I'm hoping they'll become bolder, as the weather gets colder.

This morning, so far, I've had one VERY bold house sparrow (I was actually sitting on the balcony, when it showed up, and it hopped all over my feet, ate lots of food, and sang me a little song, before it left.) I also had one not-so-bold flicker, which sat on the balcony above mine and gazed at me balefully. It didn't seem to want to come down, as long as I was there.

I want more flickers to come; those are lovely. I've never managed to get a close-up shot of one.
Good luck with the flickers coming to feed and welcome to the garden birding thread, keep us posted

Well it was a surprise, as never seen them locally apart from about 3 miles away..then 1 was in the garden! Bird number 20! Which is pretty good considering my garden is in a very urban area!

Also been getting through Fat balls like know bodys business ! The starlings empty a feeder full in half day! The bucket 50 I brought wont last very long...Might buy a 150 bucket! What does e wry one else do, in terms buying Fat Balls in bulk? Or do you just do the 50 buckets from places like pets at home, Aldi, Wilksons ectt??

I buy them in buckets of 50 at £5.99

Quite a surprise this morning: 2 Wrens investigating the sunflower hearts. Unusual as I've never had more than one before and that they've never been seen on the feeders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back