• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Peregrine (1 Viewer)

Yippeekiay

Perhaps a bit Ho-hum for some but I've been looking for two years (maybe not in earnest, but still looking) with one possible. Then yesterday pulling into Cabela's I thought I saw a Red-Tail flying like a Northern Harrier. With interest piqued I drove to the back of the parking lot (next to Rentschler field Uconn) to see what it was. By the time I got there it was gone. Just about to give up I give a last scan with my bin's only to see this Magnificent Falcon coming towards and to the left of me. It landed on one of the banks of stadium lights, sat there a minute or two (time had stopped about then) then took off directly over me and on it's way, I assume, back to Hartford.
Best day of the whole winter!

Hello Yippiekiay,

Always a welcome sight. I had a pair visit my my street, two winters, ago. If the nearby apartment tower had pebbles on the roof, they might have nested, as the spot overlooked the Hudson River.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Not Ho-Hum. Congratulations. I looked for years, through I don't know how many countries. I finally found my first at Bolsa Chica Wetlands in California, a few miles from the house I grew up in.

We've got a pair that's been nesting under a bridge less than a mile from the house. The town had to change the construction (up keep and upgrade) schedule to allow for eggs hatching and fledglings taking off. Even though it's the law I felt pretty happy about that.
Still haven't seen them though. Just the one possible. Maybe this year when the paths open. :t:

Even when you get 'used' to seeing up to 5 together ( Oh, Yes :t: ) Peregrine are still stunning birds. I've just come back from freezing my thingies off further up the estuary and had just as much fun watching Peregrines as Hen ( Northern ) Harriers, Merlin and Short-eared Owls.

Chris

Always thrilling for me. I see them regularly on the west side of Manhattan, and always shout it out. Most recent was Friday during a meeting in my boss's office. Same thing with Kestrels, but Peregrine are always special.
David

I was up at Parkgate at the weekend watching a Peregrine perched on some driftwood, then it took off, accelerating low over the marsh scattering everything in its path. Breathtaking ! I also saw my first Hen Harrier. Raptors, just love 'em.

Congrats! They are incredible.
I haven't seen one in 3 years. But the sighting I had was bizarre. Late Oct, I look out my bedroom window (in a terrible mood) only to see this magnificent bird...He sat there long enough for me to mentally check off all the field marks; it just seemed so unlikely.
I heard one at Apoxee Park early last month, but couldn't find him.
May you see many more.

We have a breeding pair back where I usually live, Ive been there on and off for 4 years and never seen them. Well done, a welcome and unexpected reward!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back