• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird would you like to see next? (1 Viewer)

senatore

Having seen the BBC advert "It's better in HD" which shows a Great Grey Owl flying over the snow and then perching for me it's got to be one of these as the bird I would like to see next.

What a magnificent site but I would have to travel a long distance to see one.

What about you.What would be the bird that's top of your list ?

Golden Oriole - reasonably close

I have chased them around out here in SW France now for three summers and have only seen yellow streaks across the valley, the odd yellow blob hiding in a tree and a fleeting glance in our Mulberry tree. I did get reasonably close to a female, but it was off in a second.

As a beginner at this bird watching game, I would happily plump for a bullfinch!

Truthfully I am happy to see pretty well any bird as long as it is wild and free.

Around where I live Jays are quite common and all you need to do is take a walk around a few local roads and you are pretty certain to see a few but it still gives me pleasure every time I see one.

A bullfinch may sound mundane to many but I am quite sure that when you see one it will bring you as much pleasure as a lot of people will only get by seeing some previously unseen rarity.

Last edited:
The birds I really wanted to see most were Gyr Falcon (white phase), Great Grey Owl, male Hen Harrier, Golden Eagle, Snowy Owl, male Pallid Harrier, Wryneck, Hawfinch, Roller, Wallcreeper, Lammergeier, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Prothonatry Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, & adult male Isabelline Shrike. Iv'e now conquered all these desires, and Blue-cheeked Bee-eater in breeding plumage is next.

You can get to see Great Grey Owl easily but you have to pay for flights to Oulu via Helsinki (for eg from Manchester) for about £300, then book an owl tour with Finnature in May or June costing about 230 euros.

I did it over a weekend. Brilliant birds but beware you will likely never find one without a guide, and you may well only see one sat on a nest.

Birds of Paradise would be something else I admit, but never going to see them.

Last edited:
I have so many- LS woodpecker, stone curlew, white tailed sea eagle, goshawk, fire crest, grasshopper warbler, dartford warbler, waxwing, hoopoe, wall creeper...

I think, if I had to choose only one bird, I would really love to see a nightjar sometime soon though.

I've been looking all over for treecreepers and common nighthawks, lately. I've found none of either. If I could see just one or the other, I'd be satisfied.

There's also a sneaky little bird that lives in the rhododendron bushes across the street. It hangs out in there making "tweeeeee! tweeeeeee!" noises, but on the rare occasions that it pops out, it moves too fast for identification. I want to see THAT bird.

Shoebill Stork is definitely the bird I most want to see, but I'm unlikely to get it for a while. In Britain, I'd like a snowy owl, but more realistically a long-eared owl would be great.

The birds I really wanted to see most were Gyr Falcon (white phase), Great Grey Owl, male Hen Harrier, Golden Eagle, Snowy Owl, male Pallid Harrier, Wryneck, Hawfinch, Roller, Wallcreeper, Lammergeier, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Prothonatry Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, & adult male Isabelline Shrike. Iv'e now conquered all these desires, and Blue-cheeked Bee-eater in breeding plumage is next.

You can get to see Great Grey Owl easily but you have to pay for flights to Oulu via Helsinki (for eg from Manchester) for about £300, then book an owl tour with Finnature in May or June costing about 230 euros.

I did it over a weekend. Brilliant birds but beware you will likely never find one without a guide, and you may well only see one sat on a nest.

Birds of Paradise would be something else I admit, but never going to see them.

Cheers Wolfbirder for the info. re. a Great Grey Owl but a bit expensive for me.

Max.

I'd love to see a Great Grey Shrike, find everything about them interesting from their amazing hunting behaviour to the root of their latin name. Also a bird I've always dipped on when making the effort to see them! I feel this is the year though... :t:

Next week, I'd love to see a Nicobar Pigeon. Going to visit an island off Cambodia's coast and there is an off chance they might be there. Watch this space;-)

I'd love to see a Great Grey Shrike, find everything about them interesting from their amazing hunting behaviour to the root of their latin name. Also a bird I've always dipped on when making the effort to see them! I feel this is the year though... :t:

One on Cannock Chase over wintering as we speak - maybe one even nearer for you somewhere?

Should be fairly easy to find this bird.

One on Cannock Chase over wintering as we speak - maybe one even nearer for you somewhere?

Should be fairly easy to find this bird.

Unfortunately, I can't really afford to travel very far atm, will just have to wait for one to turn up somewhere in Greater Manchester. I know of a few sites nearer to me where they've turned up before so just a case of keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers, Sean.

and...

as a Yank with low income, it is doubtful that I will get to England in my lifetime but...

- an English Robin (ho hum isn't it?)

and

- a Hobby Falcon

If I got to see both of those, it would salve my greedy heart for...maybe two seconds! ;)

John

When I was looking at some of the wish list I was quite pleased to have seen quite a few of them ie LS Woodie, Stone Curlew, Goshawk, Great Grey Shrike, SE Owl.

The one I said I would love to see is a Golden Oriole.

I know there is no chance on any of the following as there is no way I would travel the distance . Africa- Any Mousebird... Asia- Any Yuhina...America- Cardinal

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back