• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How good is YOUR equipment? (1 Viewer)

carjug

Or how BAD...
Be honest people, help the rest of the gang get some good stuff, and avoid the junk. Did the people who sold you your stuff do you right, or were you gypped like a drunken cowhand at the poker table?
I'll kick it off. My 700 dollar 10 X 50 Vortex binoculars rock. They are heavy as Heck and have no field of view, but they are crystal clear and I can read house numbers a quarter mile away. The 250 dollar Nikon 8 X 42 Monarchs are nice, but I bloody well love the Vortex.
Got a 75 dollar Alpen Monocular. Piece of junk.
Peterson and Sibley field guides both rule, The Peterson and Stokes Warbler books too; along with my local guides. Wish I had a good Sparrow book.
Nikon Coolpix camera is barely worth having. Wish I had a real DSLR. I am never buying Nikon again.
Cheap tripods from Wal*Mart are a non-starter.
Manfrotto makes a good 100 dollar tripod, just be sure yours is tall enough. I learned this the hard way.
Rubber mud boots from Lands End are awesome. They sat under my bed for five years, then I tried them for rainy birding. They keep my feet dry.

I have the old body style Leica Trinovid 10x42, and love them. I have cabelas bino straps for them and they work great too.

I also have a pair of Leica Ultravid 8x20s that I end up using a lot since my girlfriend uses my 10x42s, they are also great, however obviously I like the others better for birding, and like to take the 8x20s to sporting events.

I have a Canon SX50 that Is great for what I mainly bought it for, taking good enough pictures for IDs, although I am pleasantly surprised by many of the pictures it takes and many turn out amazing. (click my profile to see some of them)

I also have a slik pro pod 600 monopod for the camera and it is very sturdy, I would recommend it if you have a lighter camera like the SX50. Sometimes though the birds are straight up, and being 6'2" this becomes a problem since the monopod is only about 64 inches with the head added.

I have a Giottos MH-1003 ball head on it and it is good, but a quick release head would be nice on many occasions.

I use three field guides, one the National Geographic Eastern Edition, and it is my favorite. I really like the way it is laid out and the pictures.

I also use the National Wildlife Federation, Field Guide to North American Birds, since that one has real pictures and I like to look at both.

I do not use my Petersons guide now that I have the National Geographic. I do want to get the Sibleys.

Only thing I do not have is a spotting scope, but I am going to wait until I have some extra money to get a Vortex Razor after doing a lot of research on them.

Last edited:
I've got a Nikon D80, with a 300mm prime lens, which was, unfortunately, the absolute best I could afford, and left nothing over for binoculars, field guides, or anything else.

I am hoping to get my hands on a longer lens, and a good tripod, at some point, but they will have to be used. I have noticed that (non-mirror) lenses leap up over $10,000, after 300mm.

I'm using Nikon action 8x42, it's 2nd binocular and i got it as a price in birdrace. It's clear and nice for beginner birder like me, but it's SUPER HEAVY WEIGHT makes my neck hurt. Actually we have no much choiche of branded binocular here in Indonesia.. I'm never use Leica or Swaroski-branded binocular but i'm sure it's so much better than the one i have now.

I've Had my Leica 8x20's for 10years....so light and sharp...+a Sony Cyber-Shot Bridge camera 30x optical, again so light, and takes stunning shots...total weight c1.5 kilos. Bought 2 years ago. If I was in the market for a new camera today, I might also look at the Canon SX 50 and compare.

Cheers

My ancient Zeiss 10 X 40 Dialyts continue bulletproof in the face of the most dangerous owner of equipment in the universe.

My affair with Canon cameras and lenses continues unabated.

BF is great but the cntributions are uneven! ;)

John

Or how BAD...
Peterson and Sibley field guides both rule, The Peterson and Stokes Warbler books too; along with my local guides. Wish I had a good Sparrow book.

IMO Rising and Beadle's A Guide to the Identification and Natural History of The Sparrows of the United States and Canada (black and white line drawings), or the same authors' Sparrows of the United States and Canada: The Photographic Guide are useful.

Another alternative is an iTouch with the Sibley, Audubon, and iBird Pro eGuides, which cover many identification issues; haven't had the same luck wth the National Geographic and Peterson eGuides.

Mike

and...

Carjug:

I feel the same way about most things Nikon but the little 8x32 Superior E porro prism binocular is one of the finest optic instruments that I am aware of. I got to use one early this year and if I had the bucks to blow on one more binocular, I would buy it. Other than that...

What works for me? Guides: My favorite is the Sibley Guide and I use the small edition for birds of Western North America (in fact, I have worn out my first copy and am now on a second) and I love the latest National Geographic and use it as a reference at home after a day of birding. I also favor the latest Stokes guide for its unique combination of pictures (rather than plates) and descriptions - it is a superior guide. I enjoy...and use, all three.

Optics? I have 3 binoculars - an 8x32, 8x42 and 10x32. All are great and if I could only have one it would be the 8x42 even though it has limitations. The 10 power I use for identifying birds of prey at distance.

Things to avoid, I have definite preferences when it comes to bird guides and binoculars, but have found that when I express them, someone seems to take offense, so I will avoid that today!;)

I'm a newer birder, so my gear is literally a starter kit--affordable, decent quality equipment that gets me in the game. Sure, I'd love a 7D, a gazillion mm lens and a pair of Swarovskis someday, but for now I'm pretty happy with my equipment.

My current kit:
- Nikon Monarch 8x42 binoculars
- Canon sx50
- Cabela's hiking staff w/"V-shaped" rifle rest for a monopod
- Sibley's Guide to Eastern North America
- An old pair of (mostly) waterproof hunting boots

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

First what I have: Swarovsky 65mm angled scope, Viper Vortex HD 8x42 bins. Manfrotto CX190V3 Carbon fiber tripod with 700RC2 Head. I have a Nikon V-1 camera with both the 30-110 and the 10-30 kit lenses and a SRB-GRITURN LTD adapter to use the camera for digiscoping. The jury is still out on the digiscoping outfit. I haven't used it enough to judge it yet. The scope and bins are great. Are they perfect? No optics are perfect. Everything is a compromise. Every time you gain something you loose something else.

With the scope I was going for light weight. The whole rig weighs just 6.5 lbs/ 2.95 kilo. The scope isn't HD so there is a compromise. I bought I used for a $1,000 less than new and the non HD (no longer made) is 95% as good. I figure I could give up 5% for a grand savings. The small scope is very limited for taking pictures because of the size of the objective lens. (The bigger the better for pictures.) but digiscoping isn't my primary use. Otherwise it's a lifetime purchase. I love it.

The only compromise I can think of with the Vortex Viper bins is that the field of view is just average which is a feature of most roof prism bins. They have one called the Talon with a wider field of view but they are larger and heavier and I'm small with small hands so that was a trade off. (If you are new. The wider the field of view the easier it is to find the bird you are looking at.) I use 8 power because my hands aren't steady so there isn't as much shake as 10 power and the field of view is wider on 8s that 10s. Many birders prefer 8s. You don't want anything bigger than 10. Anything that is fixed focus or zoom lens is junk. Anything that isn't guaranteed 100% water proof, warranted not to fog is junk. Pretty much bins less than a couple of hundred are junk except maybe as a spare pair to carry in your car. Vipers are currently $589 US. Talons are a hundred less and they have a starter series for around $220 which aren't bad.

A carbon fiber tripod is half the weight of an aluminum one and it is more rigid which means it doesn't transfer vibration so much. The trade off is cost. They are at least twice as expensive. Whatever you decide, get a good tripod that is rated for the weight of your scope. An expensive scope on a cheap tripod is just a cheap scope that cost a lot of money. Don't scrimp.

An angled eyepiece scope allows you to use a shorter and therefore more sturdy tripod that is also cheaper. An angled scope makes it easier to look at birds in the tops of trees and also to share the scope with others. With a straight through scope pretty much have to adjust the scope height to each and every user. The only downside to that I've found is that you can't use an angle scope on a car window mount which comes in handy at times. Some find it easier to find the birds with a straight scope. Buy which ever feels right to you. It's your toy. Again it's just a personal preference thing.

Remember that when you are shopping for a tripod that you can and probably should buy the legs and head separately. Sometimes you can get the kit for less but only buy that way if you aren't compromising on one part of the other. Its a weakest link thing. I bought the RC700 head because of the weight and because it has good reviews for scopes. However it has limited use with a camera if you want to switch back and forth because it has no easy way to switch from horizontal to vertical format with the camera which isn't an issue with the scope or taking pictures thought the scope for that matter. But if you are going to switch back and forth you would want to know that. You would also need the fluid pan head if you plan to use it for movies. If all you want is to look at birds and not carry extra weight it's perfect for a little scope.

Good: Any alpha brand scope are all great, Nikon, Kowa, Pentax, Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Meopta and Vortex Razor. I'm probably leaving out some but if it costs less than $1,000 new it's junk for birding. There are no good, cheap, birding spotting scopes. None are perfect but one will be perfect for your needs. Once you decide you may be able to find a used one like I did. If taken care of they last forever and a good top line scope that is 10 or even more years old will still be leagues above a cheap new scope.

Bins: Same brands and some of the high end Bushnell, Leupold, Steiner. Read reviews. See what feels good in your hands. Check them with and without your glasses on. I can't tell as much difference between the medium and high end bins as scopes. I can't tell any difference at all between my bins and the $2,000 Swaro equivilant. However it is a status thing. I'm always impressed when I run into someone on the trail with $2,000 bins. I shouldn't be but I am. So if that's your thing you will get extra respect. That is until you open your mouth and say something stupid. If you are carrying expensive glass people will assume you know everthing but then nobody knows everything. There are lots of affordable bins. If you buy at the lower end and move up you can always leave the old ones as a spare pair in your car. Birds happen. They don't just show up on planned trips. Don't leave home without glass. Be sure they are locked in the truck. I've lost two inexpensive pair already. :C

Tripods: Manfrotto, Gitzo although Gitzo are out of my ballpark. There are some tripods sold under the optics brand names like Swaro or Vortex. They are all made by other manufacturers like Manfrotto an Gitzo. Don't pay extra for a Nikon or Pentax or some other optics brand tripod. The only thing that is different is the name tag.

Optics are expensive. Get a good return policy. Get a good warranty. Shop, shop, shop. Field test. Using them in the store is worthless. Taking them in the parking lot is OK but not a field test. Birds are the most difficult test there is for optics. Look through other peoples scopes and bins and see what fits you. The alpha brands are all great but they look, feel and work differently. Try before you buy and reserve the right to return afterwards. There is a lot of brand loyalty involved so your friends and others will no doubt sell you on the good points of the ones they like. At that level it's pretty much a personal and financial choice. The bottom line. Buy the best you can and get out and look at birds. The other bottom line. If you buy a top of the line scope or bins they will be the last you have to buy and you won't waste money trading up.

I have no interest in any sites or brands but my favorite sites are Eagle Optics and B&H Photo. Both sites have a wealth of detailed information and customer reviews which is very important. My experience with the customer service has been perfect. Eagle Optics is the home for Vortex but they sell all the top brands and won't try to steer you to just Vortex.

Finally, Vortex is the only brand that has an unlimited warranty. There is no time limit and it is transferable. You don't have to have the sales slip. If it malfunctions or if you drop it and break it. If you run over it with a car. If you will it to your grand kid and he/she does the same. They will repair or replace it. Now of course in reality companies come and go. The warranty is only good as long as they stay in business. However its a consideration if you are comparing two products that are essentially the same.

I have a stack of books. You can't have too many books. I carry the regional Sibley's in the field.

Long post. You get what you pay for. Mileage may vary. Buyer beware. It really isn't about the equipment. It's about the birds. o:D

Happy Birding-:flyaway:

It all depends on the $'s....and in most of our cases it is a balance.... I know I have solid camera lens and cameras.... an excellent scope for digiscoping etc...but my dollars didn't quite reach to the swaro binos as I have a Vortex Talon. Not bad, but not a swaro.

Also...we are all constantly on the lookout and trying to new things and in some cases with the idea that we probably won't keep it that long. So now, I think long and hard prior to buying and many times just keep putting it off. For instance, I want a Canon 200mm L lens for shooting hummers in Ecuador in low light...I think it would work but after a year of thinking about it, I still haven't purchased. Perhaps it is the uncertainty of the economy or, just plain tired of the entire lens racket and tired of money out the door for a lens I might not barely use.

So...to each their own but I do like the intent of this posting....what junk has anyone bought so we can all be aware.

For me...my Canon 28-135 lens....too soft for my tastes, on a cropped camera the 28mm isn't going to cut it for wide angles since I haven't purchased my 12-24 lens yet! ....

Oh...my Canon 28-135 is FOR SALE...it is in good shape, I just don't want it...anyone care to make a low ball offer?
jim

Last edited:
I've never had a big budget for top of the range optics (2 kids & a mortgage prevent me from having such a budget!!), so currently I have a pair of Vanguard 8x42 binoculars, although they are pretty clear.

I am still using my Mirador scope which I've had since I was 18 (I'm 45 this year!!). However, I definitly think this has come to the end of its' life & I will be looking to upgrade. Even then I won't be spending mega-money & am currently looking at the RSPB scopes.

My one concession to some decent optics has been investment in a new 7D and 100-400 IS zoom lens.

Richard

My ancient Zeiss 10 X 40 Dialyts continue bulletproof in the face of the most dangerous owner of equipment in the universe.

My affair with Canon cameras and lenses continues unabated.

BF is great but the cntributions are uneven! ;)

John

I have a pair of those too. Weigh a ton [ well compared to today's air weight offerings ] and as you say, are bullet proof. What was good enough for East German spies is good enough for spying birds too. Use mine mainly now for gazing out of the study window at the birds in the garden and surrounds or at nothing in general.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back