• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kite?? (1 Viewer)

SusieRuss

Hi everyone,
I'm from the US and only passably familiar with UK birds. I was driving to Heathrow today and was stuck in traffic congestion on the M25. I looked up and saw a bird floating/soaring (sort of like a seagull) and I did a doubletake. The tail was distinctively forked and reddish. My first thought was "a kite" from the tail, general outlines. The bird was a good sized bird - like a large gull. I've come back to the hotel, looked it up in the bird book and am now reading how rare they are. Is there another, more common bird for which I could mistaken it for? I had to move on in traffic, so I couldn't get a photo...

Thanks!
Susie

Red Kite wouldn't be rare around that area. They have steadily spread down the M40 corridor towards London. I've seen a good few recently when I went to Legoland in Windsor.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back