• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser image stabilized monoculars (1 Viewer)

drcam

I saw today that Bresser make two 30mm image stabilized MONOCULARS, and they each weigh less than 10 oz. One is a zoom model, with a magnification of 6-12x and the other is a 16x30 model with a reasonable FOV but obviously a very small exit pupil.

Let me know if any of you have looked through either. A zoom IS instrument is a novelty, but of course it's going to have inherent limitations, and I wouldn't bet my house on either of these being competitive with the Canon.

I saw today that Bresser make two 30mm image stabilized MONOCULARS, and they each weigh less than 10 oz. One is a zoom model, with a magnification of 6-12x and the other is a 16x30 model with a reasonable FOV but obviously a very small exit pupil.

Let me know if any of you have looked through either. A zoom IS instrument is a novelty, but of course it's going to have inherent limitations, and I wouldn't bet my house on either of these being competitive with the Canon.
That sounds cool though. Where did you buy them?

I've now seen seen a number of these IS monoculars in various company's product lists. Pete Gamby posted a little info about them.
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3245247&postcount=6

So far I've only tried the Viking AIS 10x30 and another that had a flat battery. For some reason the Canon IS models don't really seem to work for me, but with the Viking there was a distinct reduction, if not elimination, of visible shake. Optically they were OK but nothing special. Understandably, not as good as similarly priced non-IS models. I though an nteresting idea, room for improvement. Perhaps Viking thought so too. On their site, they state "new model coming soon". When I spoke to them back in the summer, one rep mentioned a 'bigger version' had just arrived in office for evaluation. That might be interesting.

Can't help you with the Bresser versions.

David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back