• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG (1 Viewer)

Nikon might well benefit from loaning some production samples to allbinos and, in addition, to other respected bin reviewers who visit this forum.

Mike (post 58)
I agree with most of your comments, so your guess was wrong.....
Regarding the flat field, Nikon had to come up with something that none of the competitors at the price level of MHG has and that will appeal to many people. Nikon SE and EDG have flat fileds with no RB artifact, and IMO their optics are excellent and leave very little to be desired. The flat-field optics of the MHG may be expected to be similar.

Regarding the MHG and EDG, the EDG line has not been a great success for Nikon. As some have suggested it seems that Nikon has given up competing in the high-end binos market. My hope (and speculation) is that the MHG will be an alpha level binos line that's offered at a much more reasonable price. If Nikon will sell many more MHGs than EDGs, the MHG line will be more profitable.

Peter

Peter, at post #60.

The Nikon HG/LX and HGL/LXL series all had flat fields too. The 42mm versions did have a reputation for "rolling ball" but not the 32mm versions.

It seems to me that Nikon isn't marketing the EDG like their Monarchs. You almost have to order the EDGs directly from Nikon to get one and as often as not a couple of them are listed as "out of stock" and there are only 5 of them to begin with. They seem to me to be making them on an "as needed" basis. But only Nikon knows why they are doing things they way they do.

Nikon changed its old marketing scheme several years ago when they left big dealers like Eagle Optics who no longer list Nikon.

Bob

Last edited:
They might indeed benefit but only if they choose the reviewer carefully.....in fact most of these reviews are a mixture of facts and subjective opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt. As an example, consider the debate on this thread about the brightness of the EDG, which imo is fueled by subjective opinions. Anyways, I will buy the MHG if I like them even if some people found them to be "dark".

Bob,

You are right about the 42mm Hgl, but my point was that Nikon has produced excellent flat-field binos without any RB so they know well how to do it. In fact, I believe that the SF has a distortion pattern that was at least partly inspired by that of the EDG.

Regarding marketing the EDG, I might be mistaken but I believe that most dealers do not have them in stock simply because very few people buy them (and a dealer cannot return the product to the distributor if it does not sell....)

Peter

Pesto

You wrote "They might indeed benefit but only if they choose the reviewer carefully.....in fact most of these reviews are a mixture of facts and subjective opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt."

Indeed so, but I assume two things (1) that they want the bins to be successfull and (2) that they are confident of the bins' capabilities at the chosen price point. These may, of course be a naive assumptions!

Advertising in journals work particularly for their loyal customers in the photographic products where there is a tendency for the consumer to become locked in. Some reviewers and journals are better regarded than others!

Binoculars are different and birders may be more influenced by reviewers that they have got to know and trust. There are several whose opinions I value, some more than others, and from around the world.

At the indicated price points, I suspect there are several (many) competitors.

I have noted too noise about customer service and warranty.

Bob,

You are right about the 42mm Hgl, but my point was that Nikon has produced excellent flat-field binos without any RB so they know well how to do it. In fact, I believe that the SF has a distortion pattern that was at least partly inspired by that of the EDG.

Regarding marketing the EDG, I might be mistaken but I believe that most dealers do not have them in stock simply because very few people buy them (and a dealer cannot return the product to the distributor if it does not sell....)

Peter

Dealers, in the past, would often sell binoculars at a lower price to move them if they got permission from the Makers to do so. I got both of my LXLs from Eagle Optics that way and saved about $100.00 on each of them. That was about 10-12% off their normal asking (not their listed) price and it happened with other manufacturers too.

I think that the profit margin on these kinds of binoculars is high enough to continue doing this on occasion just to keep them moving.

But I don't see any dealers doing this now unless they have Demos from shows or there is a change made in the binocular like in Swarovski's manner of holding the neck straps in place.

You can still order EDGs through Camera Land although I can't tell from their new web site if they are kept in stock there. Eagle Optics new website still does not list Nikon. They are Special Order at B&H with a 7-14 day wait.

Bob

Last edited:
Dealers, in the past, would often sell binoculars at a lower price to move them if they got permission from the Makers to do so. I got both of my LXLs from Eagle Optics that way and saved about $100.00 on each of them. That was about 10-12% off their normal asking (not their listed) price and it happened with other manufacturers too.

I think that the profit margin on these kinds of binoculars is high enough to continue doing this on occasion just to keep them moving.

But I don't see any dealers doing this now unless they have Demos from shows or there is a change made in the binocular like in Swarovski's manner of holding the neck straps in place.

You can still order EDGs through Camera Land although I can't tell from their new web site if they are kept in stock there. Eagle Optics new website still does not list Nikon. They are Special Order at B&H with a 7-14 day wait.

Bob

Bob,

Do I understand you correctly, that the prices in the US are fixed by the "Makers" and dealers are not allowed to go under a certain pricepoint.
Down here that would be considered as illegal and the "Maker" will/can be charged with a penalty up to 15% of its yearly turnover.

Jan

Bob,

Do I understand you correctly, that the prices in the US are fixed by the "Makers" and dealers are not allowed to go under a certain pricepoint.
Down here that would be considered as illegal and the "Maker" will/can be charged with a penalty up to 15% of its yearly turnover.

Jan

No.

I was not implying anything like price fixing. That would require collusion among the manufacturers. The prices on the Nikon LXLs went back up to their original prices shortly after I purchased mine.

Incidentally, the same things happened with Nikon's SEs at Eagle Optics. I recall that the prices of the 8x32s would go up and down.

Bob

PS: I just remembered an incident involving an American made Fly Reel that took place years ago around 1980. I had a friend who owned a Fly Fishing shop. He sold a variety of Fly Reels, a couple of which were American made by small businesses in New England. I liked one of them and after thinking it over decided to purchase it. When I went back he no longer had any to sell. He told me that the manufacturer found out he was selling them below "list" price and took them back from him. I assumed he had received them on consignment.

I have a nice collection of new English made Hardy Fly Reels I purchased since the 1970s as they came out. I am sure I paid full price for every one of them. They are probably worth more than I paid for them now.

Last edited:
Jan - it is much easier in the US for a brand to implement minimum advertised prices (MAP) but that has to be done independently of other brands.

As in the EU, the brand cannot fix the final sale price to the consumer - that's why you often see "Place in Basket for Best Price" or similar on web listings. It's also why mail in rebates are much more common in the US - the brand "controls" the headline discounting from its set MAP.

HTH,

Pete

Jan - it is much easier in the US for a brand to implement minimum advertised prices (MAP) but that has to be done independently of other brands.

This is correct. A dealer can sell any of his items for whatever he/she wants, but cannot advertise a product's price below a set minimum. If the dealer does advertise a lower price than obligated, the manufacturer/distributor will cease selling the item(s) to the dealer, and the dealer looses his/her dealership.

Or to put it another way -- the "Makers" do not fix the prices for which items end up selling......

[..]but cannot advertise a product's price below a set minimum. If the dealer does advertise a lower price than obligated, the manufacturer/distributor will cease selling the item(s) to the dealer, and the dealer looses his/her dealership.
...which may be legal in your country but wouldn't be in mine. I'm not arguing which is right or wrong, just noting the difference.

...Mike

...which may be legal in your country but wouldn't be in mine. I'm not arguing which is right or wrong, just noting the difference.

...Mike
Not trying to argue either -- just wanted to put up a bit more info on the subject, especially since they are indeed different from place to place......

Not trying to argue either -- just wanted to put up a bit more info on the subject, especially since they are indeed different from place to place......
Let me know when they get the New HG Nikon 8x42 in stock. My wallet is OPEN! 92% Transmission! Finally a "sparkly" Nikon.o:)

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 118
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Oh, it seems that Nikon listens to voices of fans:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2848822&postcount=25

That is funny, but they make hybrid name, nor M9 or Premier HD....
probably they were lil bit scared, that we developed it there, and therefore we
shall get first samples to evaluate... 3:)

I guess we'll have to thank good o'l Brock for this revolutionary Nikon bin.
It's a dream come true..if the QC will be right.
But it's made in Japan it seems not China.

Given the numbers, the Monarch HG seems to strike the perfect balance in just about every area.
Comparing the 8x42's specs with my own binoculars is really food for thought:
-About 8 percent larger and 15 percent heavier than the 8x30 E II, but with an adequate eye relief and waterproofing, not to mention the vast increase of relative brightness.
- About 9 percent heavier than the Meostar 8x32 but with a larger FOV, better colour, ED glass and much better relative brightness. The Meostar is unbeatable when it comes to small size and still perfect ergonomics, though.
- 84 percent of the EDG II 7x42's weight, larger FOV, hugely larger AFOV and better twilight number.
The 7x42 beats it with its relative brightness but this may only be noticeable long after the sunset.

The list could be continued with several other models like for example the E II 10x35 vs. the MHG 10x42.
Unfortunately, buying one appears inevitable although my current collection covers all my needs.
If they only keep the straylight handling as good as in the EDG series, the MHG could be the blockbuster.

//L

I guess we'll have to thank good o'l Brock for this revolutionary Nikon bin.
It's a dream come true..if the QC will be right.
But it's made in Japan it seems not China.
If it is made in Japan the QC will be perfect. Look at the QC on the Nikon SE and EII. They are both made in Japan and every one I have owned has been PERFECT. Looksharp, you are right in that straylight handling will be the key. The EDG is so good in that area I can't see why the new Monarch HG wouldn't be. The Monarch HG has great specifications on paper. The 8x42 is very light at 23.5 oz. for a 42mm and it has a huge FOV @435 feet and the 10x42 has a 362 FOV which is bigger than a Zeiss SF. It has a field flattener so you are going to have sharp edges but Nikon designs them with no RB and the 3D will most likely be pretty good for a roof. You know the focus will be smooth as silk which Nikon is well known for. It has a scratch resistant coating on the lenses. I really think it will be nipping at the heels of some of the Alpha's for a lot less money. The light weight 23.5 oz. for a 42mm is HUGE. This will be a great binocular at $1k.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back