• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What would you pay? (1 Viewer)

yakyakgoose

What would you pay for a Nikon Fieldscope ED82 with a 30x eyepiece vs the MCII zoom eyepiece?

Ive been looking for one with the zoom and found one with the fixed. I want a fixed eyepiece eventually but the zoom is really the pairing you want if you were to only have one right?

I just havent seen these for sale without at least the zoom, so wondering if this pairing would be worth a little less.

If it helps any I paid about $800 for a used Nikon ED82 with MCII zoom eyepiece off Adorama. The spotter was in excellent shape. I would buy it again, I sold http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=341658 this scope on Ebay for more than what I had it priced here to help pay for the ED 82, I do have the 50ED and some other eyepieces and one reason I wanted the 82 ED. I had Nikon 60 & 60ED spotters in the past and wanted the 82ED for quite some time.

Last edited:
Thanks Mooreless. Do you think you would have paid less if it only had the 30x fixed?

To add more context, I have the Nikon 60ed with the MCii zoom and want to upgrade to a 80mm scope. I was looking at either the 82a or an EDG. I havent found any reasonably priced EDGs used.

My idea was to buy a 82ed with the same zoom eyepiece and then get the 30x eyepiece later. With the 82 Ive found with the DS30x, I guess I would keep both eyepieces and then try to sell the 60 body only. I have a suspicion that would be a tough sell and I might take quite a hit.

Im trying to figure out at what price the 82ed w/ 30x would make this arrangement work without taking a hit on my pocketbook.

I ended up getting it for 700 with the 30x. Hope that was a decent deal, now I need to find someone to buy the 60x without an eyepiece.

Goose the full price for my 82ED was $865 for reference . I like having a 50ED to go with the 82ED I have. My 82ED is angled.

I picked up the angled as well, makes me feel like I got a decent deal. Excited to get it in and I hope it lives up to what everyone has said about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back