• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Streich's Chinese Hobby (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a minor, tiny addition regarding today's HBW Alive Key entry:
streichi
Ivo Streich (fl. 1906) German Consul in Swatow, China 1906 (subsp. Falco subbuteo).
= Mr. Karl Ivo Streich, German Consul, (and interpreter, Dolmetscher ... ?) in China ... at least from 1886 until at least 1906, in Shanghai and Swatau (Swatow).

No years found regarding his birth, nor of his death. See here.

Hes commemorated in Falco subbuteo streichi HARTERT & NEUMANN 1907 (here):
Wir benennen sie nach Consul Ivo Streich, dessen Arbeit über die Vögel seines Gartens in Swatau J.O. 1903 p. 515-27 ...
The reference bouncing us back to "J. Streich" [sic], here, but (be calm, it´s a typo) the Paper itself is signed by "Ivo Streich" (on p.521).

However; enjoy!

Björn

PS. If Mr. Streich had any other hobby than Garden birds is unknown to me. ;)

Thereby I assume it´s this guy:

Karl Ivo Streich (1857–1920) a k a Franz Karl Ivo Streich

According to Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg: Born 16 September 1857, in "Rot <an der Rot>-Ellwangen", Germany ... Konsul in Swatau ... died; 3 Auguat 1920, in "Schwäbisch Gmünd", Germany, (here)

It´s a wrap!

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Eurasian Hobby ssp. Falco subbuteo streichi Hartert & Neumann, 1907
Ivo Streich (DNF) was the German Consul in Swatow, China (1906). The European residents of Swatow regarded him as a 'tower of strengt.
If there is really a Franz as one of his names is unknown to me.

Yes there really is a Franz

Franz Carl Ivo Streich
BAPTISM DATE: 26. Sep 1857 (26 Sep 1857)
BAPTISM PLACE: Sankt Vitus Katholisch,Ellwangen,Jagstkreis,Wuerttemberg
FATHER: Carl Alois Streich
MOTHER: Maria Theres Clementine Probst

Here´s a minor, tiny addition regarding today's HBW Alive Key entry:

= Mr. Karl Ivo Streich, German Consul, (and interpreter, Dolmetscher ... ?) in China ... at least from 1886 until at least 1906, in Shanghai and Swatau (Swatow).

No years found regarding his birth, nor of his death. See here.

Hes commemorated in Falco subbuteo streichi HARTERT & NEUMANN 1907 (here):

The reference bouncing us back to "J. Streich" [sic], here, but (be calm, it´s a typo) the Paper itself is signed by "Ivo Streich" (on p.521).

However; enjoy!

Björn

PS. If Mr. Streich had any other hobby than Garden birds is unknown to me. ;)
He was my great, great Grandfather and I can say that it has been said he loved just about anything from the orient. He was a collector of all things Chinese. Even his staircase in his home in Schwäbisch Gmünd was hand carved and imported from China. I have seen it myself. His son was a Gemologist famous for mapping out parts of Australia so I'd say they had a fondness for adventure and the natural world.

Hi There Denn, thanks for making contact!

I just noticed I had left out his date of death so that is now added:

Franz C(K)arl Ivo Streich
1857–1920
BIRTH 16 SEP 1857 • Ellwangen, Ostalbkreis, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland
DEATH 3 AUG 1920 • Schwäbisch Gmünd, Ostalbkreis, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

As I am sure you know his parents were

Karl Alois Streich, von
1826–1917
BIRTH 19 JUN 1826 • Ellwangen, Ostalbkreis, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland
DEATH 21 APR 1917 • Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland

Maria Franziska Clementine Probst
1833–1893
BIRTH 7 SEP 1833 • Biberach an der Riß, Biberach, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland
DEATH 16 APR 1893 • Leipzig, Sachsen, Deutschland

Franz was no doubt a nod to his mother's middle name and rarely ever used.

And his grandfather was Karl Streich but in some records, the C and K are interchangeably used.

I do note on your great aunt Mother Louise Clementine Maria Streich's death certificate (in Washington State) her fathers name is spelled Karl.

The forenames are base on a digitisation of his birth certificate but several family tree websites have used the C spelling. I was unable to find his marriage certificate to Olga Nöhrich. This would confirm the spelling on the Carl but in my experience, Karl is one name that's spelling was very fluid. I note your Great Uncle Carl Ivo spelled it with a C.

Cheers Paul

Last edited:
Hi There Denn, thanks for making contact!

I just noticed I had left out his date of death so that is now added:

Franz C(K)arl Ivo Streich
1857–1920
BIRTH 16 SEP 1857 • Ellwangen, Ostalbkreis, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland
DEATH 3 AUG 1920 • Schwäbisch Gmünd, Ostalbkreis, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

As I am sure you know his parents were

Karl Alois Streich, von
1826–1917
BIRTH 19 JUN 1826 • Ellwangen, Ostalbkreis, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland
DEATH 21 APR 1917 • Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland

Maria Franziska Clementine Probst
1833–1893
BIRTH 7 SEP 1833 • Biberach an der Riß, Biberach, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland
DEATH 16 APR 1893 • Leipzig, Sachsen, Deutschland

Franz was no doubt a nod to his mother's middle name and rarely ever used.

And his grandfather was Karl Streich but in some records, the C and K are interchangeably used.

I do note on your great aunt Mother Louise Clementine Maria Streich's death certificate (in Washington State) her fathers name is spelled Karl.

The forenames are base on a digitisation of his birth certificate but several family tree websites have used the C spelling. I was unable to find his marriage certificate to Olga Nöhrich. This would confirm the spelling on the Carl but in my experience, Karl is one name that's spelling was very fluid. I note your Great Uncle Carl Ivo spelled it with a C.

Cheers Paul

Dear Paul,

I can't thank you enough for going out of your way to provide all this information to me. I had come accross much of it in the Schwäbisch Gmünd archives one evening I was not aware, but suspected, a link to Washington State. This was very helpful! Thank you.

I actually gave bad information in my last message. I meant Great Uncle and not Grandfather. I will attach the family tree for you. It is a small one. I have another back to the 1600's. I am of the Victor Streich line after Karl Von Streich. Victor was the brother of Ivo Streich (vice consul). Karl and Ivo were both common names in the Streich family so it gets very confusing.

How did you come to be so interested in the Streich family? :)

Attachments

• 231755215_1264811120602263_6100605145069972615_n (1).jpg
    231755215_1264811120602263_6100605145069972615_n (1).jpg
    287 KB · Views: 6
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back