• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Professor Waga's, or Wagi's (!?) Tyrannulet (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
I got curious by the Daszkiewicz's Abstract (here), and had a quick look at the eponym ...

wagae as in:
• subspecies Phaeomyias murina wagae TACZANOWSKI 1884 (here) as "Myiopatis Wagae" ... no explanation, nor dedication, but a reference back to "Phyllomyias (sp.?)", which I assume is this one; here; "16. Phyllomyias sp. inc." (species incognito?)

... which I guess lead ut to the Polish entomologist, Professor Antoni Waga (17991890), whose full name appear to have been Antoni Stanisław Waga, a k a Anton Waga (in French and English texts) alt. Antoniego Wagi ... !?

The latter spelling found in a fairly recent paper (in Polish), from 2015, here. If it´s him, or not, is far beyond my understanding, but I think so. I guess you need to know Polish to figure out his true name. Anyone?

If the Professor also can be titled collector (as have been done), is also beyond me. Of course, as an entomologist, in those days, he surely was/must have been a collector, but not necessarily of birds. Either way, I don´t think he found this certain bird. The type itself was, as I read it, collected by Stolzmann [which ought to be Jan Stanislaw Sztolcman (1854-1928), fellow countryman to both Taczanowski and Professor W] ...

For what it´s worth!

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back