• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Louisa's Somali Grosbeak (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s one additional and possibly some contradictory (!) years in connection to ...

louisae as in:
• the subspecies Rhynchostruthus socotranus louisae LORT PHILLIPS 1897 (here) as "Rhynchostruthus louisæ" ... no dedication nor explanation.

But I assume it commemorates:
Louisa Jane Forbes Lort Phillips née Gunnis (born 1857), wife of English explorer Ethelbert Edward Lort Phillips (1857–1943 or 1944?*), whom she accompanied on various journeys in Somaliland around 1883–1895 (and married in 1891), etc., etc., ... and she died in 1946 or 1947 ... ?!?

Different claims, different spellings, in various sources, also on death years, of both Mr and Mrs Lort Phillips! Also different claims regarding if their surname is/was hyphenated, or not!? To me it looks like the version without hyphen is the most correct one.

Anyone who does know? When (and where) they passed away? And the proper version of how to write their family name?

Björn

He´s allegedly commemorated in lorti and phillipsi, as in:
• the subspecies Coracias caudatus lorti SHELLEY 1885 (here) as "Coracias lorti"
• Somali Wheatear Oenanthe phillipsi SHELLEY 1885 (here) as "Saxicola phillipsi"
• the debated subspecies (Francolinus) Scleroptila gutturalis/levaillantoides lorti SHARPE 1897 (here) as "Francolinus lorti"

Why Shelly choose two different scientific names (only a few pages apart) for the same guy, in 1885, is however beyond me!
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back