• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

thanks!! hmmmmmm, your right, i dont know of any hotspots in the big D!

There is one... Delaware Bay, the big staging grounds for Red Knots and other shorebirds. But of course it is all Delaware's fault that the Red Knots are becoming increasingly uncommon!

Yeah, the red knots stop there when migrating, eat horshoe crab eggs, then the people kill horshoe crabs so knot food drops downward and then vicious cycle...

After hearing about David's twitch, I couldn't help but give it a shot meself. There just happened to be a newly-found Yellow-headed Blackbird near me (yes, that's rare for New York). So I found it today. Pictures to follow of me Flickr.

Edit: here is one!

Last edited:
sweet!!!!!! congrats. along with the bobwhite, yellow headed blackbird is slowly becoming my nemesis...

Hmmmm I've never actually gone looking for Bobwhites, and I have no clue where you can actually see them. And I'm still working on the scrub-jay, and waiting for a spindalis to come over the border again...

Well, bobwhites are like the YBCU was. You can always hear them really early in the morning: 'ob-whi-ite'. but ive always been unable to see em. drat...

I heard from Owltalon. He's somewhere in the potholes region of the prairies. Didn't say much, but he had a few new things for the life list, like Eared Grebe and Northern Goshawk. He doesn't have much access to the web, so I (or for that matter, all you reading this) may not hear from him again until the trip's over.

Western Reef-Heron just appeared in Brooklyn, NY today! I'm off to see it tomorrow.

Hey has anyone here ever been insulted, or gotten a really unpleasant answer to a question here? I got one today - I had a problem removing a camera-adapting ring from the eypiece of my new scope (it's too tight) and I said "I can't have been the first to have done this, right?" with a winking smiley, and I got a "I think you are" from some jerk!

Adults these days (shaking head)....

Yeah, several times. Sad as it is there are a lot of birders who are jerks. Once I found a Thayer's Gull on a field trip... a few people thought I was wrong, including one guy who let me know that he thought I had an overactive imagination... thanks.

neil g.

GL with the "reefer" !

ive never experienced a mean birder, though in pete dunnes book he talks about his experiences with them, and i believe that theyre can be real jerks. birderbf, did you report the rude person?

haha! guess what happened!! i had heard about the western reef heron, so i went up to my dad and asked him if he would be willing to get 2 tickets to NY so we could see the heron, and guess what?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I didn't expect this at all but he actually paused and considered doing it for a moment!!!!! i mean, he actually considered twitching 700 miles to see a beautiful blue ardid. (dont know how u spell it). oh well, he could have said yes and that woulda been better but at least he considered it. Say hi to it for me birderbf, k? :)
oh and being the photographer that you are, im sure youll get some great pictures!! please post them if you do! :)))))

Too bad it hasnt been relocated since 12. At least you didnt spend the money for the tickets!

That's the tide's fault! I'm trying to be optimistic here... it's a code 5 on the ABA checklist you know!

ive never experienced a mean birder, though in pete dunnes book he talks about his experiences with them, and i believe that theyre can be real jerks. birderbf, did you report the rude person?

haha! guess what happened!! i had heard about the western reef heron, so i went up to my dad and asked him if he would be willing to get 2 tickets to NY so we could see the heron, and guess what?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I didn't expect this at all but he actually paused and considered doing it for a moment!!!!! i mean, he actually considered twitching 700 miles to see a beautiful blue ardid. (dont know how u spell it). oh well, he could have said yes and that woulda been better but at least he considered it. Say hi to it for me birderbf, k? :)
oh and being the photographer that you are, im sure youll get some great pictures!! please post them if you do! :)))))

No I didn't report him. How should I do that? And thanks for the compliment :)

Yeah, several times. Sad as it is there are a lot of birders who are jerks. Once I found a Thayer's Gull on a field trip... a few people thought I was wrong, including one guy who let me know that he thought I had an overactive imagination... thanks.

neil g.

GL with the "reefer" !

Yeah I bet this guy wouldn't say that to my face... then again...

No I didn't report him. How should I do that? And thanks for the compliment :)

you see the little button at the bottom left hand corner of your someones post that is green when theyre online and blue when theyre offline? theres a triangle shaped red and white sign with a "!" on it. just click on it i think

I'm currently in Tucson, AZ and am leaving for San Diego tomorrow. The Sonoran is probably my favorite place to bird, today i had Brown-Crested Flycatchers, Harris Hawks, Hooded Orioles, Gila Woodpeckers, Gilded Flickers, Pyrhuloxias, -and- a couple Rufous-winged Sparrows, without leaving my grandpa's yard!

In San Diego I'm hoping for California Gnatcatcher, Allen's Hummingbird, and a couple shorebirds, but it's not a birding trip, so I'll be happy with whatever I see.

I am currently listening to an Elf Owl somewhere behind the house, I'm off to find it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back