• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (7 Viewers)

Hi! I haven't gone anywhere recently (bad weather and my parents was too busy) so I've watched birds in my garden and through the window. Results? One Sparrowhawk, one Barn Swallow, two Mallards, a couple of Greenfinches, Black-headed Gull, Black Redstart and I heard Ring-necked Pheasant. Every day I watch the sky, but there is no Swifts yet (I always look forward to these birds because their coming means holidays arrive soon ;)).

Hi everyone.
Due to recent weather conditions (and predicted ones too) many people are predicting many "good" birds this week. I unfortunately have school to go to:C so the earliest I can get out is Saturday. So planning ahead James and I have the car all day Saturday:-O. We are wondering where to go. Should we base ourselves at a certain central site on the coast or twitch something first thing? Where would be a good site to find stuff?
Any help greatly received :t:
Thanks
Sim

Hi everyone.
Due to recent weather conditions (and predicted ones too) many people are predicting many "good" birds this week. I unfortunately have school to go to:C so the earliest I can get out is Saturday. So planning ahead James and I have the car all day Saturday:-O. We are wondering where to go. Should we base ourselves at a certain central site on the coast or twitch something first thing? Where would be a good site to find stuff?
Thanks
Sim

Well depends whether you want to be a filthy twitcher or a good local patch-type finder/birder. Twitch something first thing, hmm not my cup of tea, unless it really is a cracker. East Hills would be good a site to find stuff but getting out there is nigh on impossible and very unsafe if you dont know your way :smoke: otherwsie usual suspects in terms of good sites...

Cheers,

Connor

Hi everyone.
Thanks
Sim
If i was in your position, I would make an early start in Norfolk. Cley/Titch, try and pick up a few migrants, maybe a slog out on Blakeney Point? Twitch it if you need it. It all depends on whether or not you have any points on your license ;).
How far are you planning on going? You could always make the long slog to Lancs for Ross's Gull, taking in Glossy Ibis, Night Heron and Green-winged Teal while you're in the area. Or you could go and find us all a Calandra Lark on Blakeney :t:

Good luck, wherever you end up going.
Joe

Hi everyone.
Thanks
Sim

Pick up a map, find an under watched part of the coast and bash that for the morning. Maybe a bit hard in Norfolk, but if you've got your passport then anywhere in Suffolk away from a honeypot reserve is severly underwatched! Find us/me a white winged lark;)

Getting a bit concerned now, that the felixstowe bomb might disrupt my plans this school strike thursday though...:smoke:
cheers
Steve:t:

OK then. Its all set. Blakeney first thing where I find the Calandra Lark in the Marrams. Then Happisburgh where we re-find the Black Lark. Then Thorpeness in Suffolk where I find a White-Winged Lark near where the Bluetail was a couple of years back. Then on the way back somewhere near Fakenham a Red-Footed Falcon flies over the car.
Then at about 10pm I'll report it all after making sure the bird is long gone by throwing stones at it :-O
No, I wouldn't do a thing like that!o:D
I'll let you know what we get when we get it (if we get it :eek!:) if I have your mobile number.
Have a good weekend everyone and happy hunting
Get out there and good luck to y'all :t:
Sim
Oh, forgot to mention the Marmora's Warbler we'll find at West Runton (in my dreams:-O)

Last edited:
I've got to make do with Rye Meads rspb, because my mum's doing some teaching near there...back on my dad's old stomping ground, i wasn't birding before I moved away from hertfordshire so I can't remember it all...Should be good though, it's got Otter's and Kingfisher in alledgedly photographable range...(not that i'd be so lucky, i've never had a close perched kingfisher)

I know that Steve doesn't like this sort of thing so please do not post replies to this, if you have any, here but PM me or email [email protected] with any queries etc.
Just a reminder that the young birders bird race is this weekend coming up. Rules and all that on youngbirders.blogspot.com.
thanks,
David

Yup I reckon i'll be doing the Sluice on Sunday - Saturday is gonna be a bit helterskelter (hopefully). So I don't think i'll win, but i'l give it my best shot!

What do you get Thursday off! Y 7-10 in my school are off, but Y11 and Sixth formers have to be in, so our GCSE revision isn't "ruined".

Pah, day off didn't do me any harm...much!

Got the train down to felixstowe, walked in the pouring rain to landguard and had Shorelark, Tree Pipits, 20+ Wheaters of all age and sex but not sure about race, yellow wagtail bright as butter, first common whitethroats and a fulmar that flew inland. Beats school hands down!:t:

I was suprised about how open access to the beach was considering the bomb disposal squad lost (!) the bomb...

No days of school for me but did have a Great-grey Shrike after school, which was nice. For pics (quite reasonable for me!) and report seemy blog... Also Black Redstart...

Connor

Hello all,

Im 17 and live in southampton and Ive onli just foudn this thread lol
My life list is about 363 BOU and my best year list so far is 272!
I have found a few rare birds including Common Rosefinch. Great White Egret, Cattle Egret and the cornish Pacific Diver which Im glad to say has been accepted.
By The Way Connor I haven't had any better luck in Norfolk since I dipped the Little Bittern and Hume's, well I have now had Hume's I saw the WCS but dipped the Black Lark which was annoying.
good birding and atvb,
Lee

Hi Lee, good to see you've found the thread. Today had 4 Dotterels, Wryneck, Great-grey Shrike and 3 Common Cranes, see my website for more.

Thanks again to J.G for driving..

Connor

Last edited:
Yeh Connor, James and I had quite a good day - Blakeney produced 43 Yellow Wagtails, 3 Tree Pipits, 4 Chiffchaffs, 18 Swifts, 6 Wheatears and tons of Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins. Also a Chinese Water deer that looked really out of place on the beach! Then we went to Acle and dipped on the Dotterel there. As we were in the area, we went over to Waxham and managed to get the Wryneck. James then spotted 3 Common Cranes flying over. On the way back to the car we had a Swallow fly over that called like a Red-Rumped but it disappeared before we could see it through optics (NOOO!!!) Heading home we popped in on the Great Grey Shrike at Heacham. On arrival it was on top of a bush showing brilliantly! Just as we were about to drop off Connor, 5 Dotterel came up on the pager at Choseley. James and I had never seen Dotterel before so we raced there in 15 minutes! 3 were walking about in a field south of the drying barns when we got there. They were really bright summer plumaged males and they made up for the ones we had missed earlier. It was a great day in the end, even though my scope fell to pieces!

Spent 4 hours dipping Little Crake this afternoon. Need I say more?

Count yourself well off: I smashed my 'scope up today ;)
Bzillions of migrants at Frodsham though (not that that made the smashed 'scope any better :gn:) - Whitethroats in every bush along one bit of the track [admittedly there are only like about 15 bushes along that bit, but even so] and the reedbed was crammed full of Sedge & Reed Warblers. Few Swifts over with about 30 more over the town, 2 smart Whinchats and a male Wheatear (shockingly, everying mentioned so far were "year ticks"). Also... *drum roll*... 7 Avocets, one of them with some serious bling; appears from a quick scout around the web to be l'Avocet de Francais. Interesting, eh? Pics >HERE<

Menzilla

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back